Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #46
Evo
Regular User

Just take it easy on the car when you first get it.. And drive safely..

PS: Hurry up with the pix..
Old 02-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #47
04RCSTI
Regular User

No Pics today, and I will have to take it easy haha, I have to break it in all over again. If thats not exciting then I dont know what is. I ended up not going to see it today, but possibly on monday it will be a different story altogether.

Pehtren, the USDM STI has a 2.5l Motor, not the wrx 2.0l. And 400isnt impressive...the 903whp evo is impressive haha.

because I promised pics today and didnt deliver, heres an exhaust clip driveby for you guys!

http://www.mdcracing.com/gallery/raul/videos/flyby2.AVI

And a quick late night snow escapade right before I got kicked out by the cops, in fact if you listen really carefully you can hear the cop car approaching at the end of the clip.
http://www.mdcracing.com/gallery/rau...owdriftcop.mpg
Old 02-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #48
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI
No Pics today, and I will have to take it easy haha, I have to break it in all over again. If thats not exciting then I dont know what is. I ended up not going to see it today, but possibly on monday it will be a different story altogether.

Pehtren, the USDM STI has a 2.5l Motor, not the wrx 2.0l. And 400isnt impressive...the 903whp evo is impressive haha.
2006 spec WRX has the 2.5 liter turbo... im still somewhat reserved on the engine... at least until i drive it... very soon in the next week or two...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #49
T-Bird
Regular User

hey for not that much more money you too could have one of those insanely high number cars built right here in good ol' Chi-town. anyway this seems to be a pretty promising car will have to follow this build. I'm still trying to work out all the bugs on my motor swap. granted I did it all myself with some help from friends, I wish I did have someone else do it for me.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #50
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

2006 spec WRX has the 2.5 liter turbo... im still somewhat reserved on the engine... at least until i drive it... very soon in the next week or two...
Hehe I'm very well aware of that, was talking 04's
Old 02-19-2006, 04:52 AM   #51
Pehtren
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

Hehe I'm very well aware of that, was talking 04's

I knew that the 2006 has a 2.5, but didnt know if the the 04 american has 2.0 or 2.5
thx, for me its impressive 400hp from a 2.5...still
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #52
04RCSTI
Regular User

Looks grim huh??

Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #53
RC45
Regular User

Really Nice ride.

I would like an EVO or STi as my alternate gofast ride, but the frequency that I see and hear about terminal engine issues on the modded cars is the one reason I have steared clear of getting one.

It seems the horsepower is not as cheap and reliable to get as it should be.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #54
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Really Nice ride.

I would like an EVO or STi as my alternate gofast ride, but the frequency that I see and hear about terminal engine issues on the modded cars is the one reason I have steared clear of getting one.

Get a skyline they say it's engine is rock solid. R34 please.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #55
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo
Originally Posted by RC45
Really Nice ride.

Get a skyline they say it's engine is rock solid. R34 please.
Uhm - no - that overweight pig needs a $100,000 in mods just to muscle past a stock Porsche 911 Carrera

Besides, I already have a far more robust platform that is way cheaper to mod with even more potential, since it can lap the Nurburgring in 7m54s - stock

I just want an EVO or STi for the fun of having such a modded pocket rocket -- if it wouldn't break down so easily though....
Old 02-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #56
harryo2b
Regular User

Woah, that's a lot of money being dumped into that. At what cost?

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #57
04RCSTI
Regular User

You guys gotta understand one thing. If done correctly, a modded car should be able to be fairly reliable on a long run basis. An sti with the right mods and the right tuning could reliably break the 400whp mark, even more for the evo. My car had a faulty turbo and because of that, the tuning was completely throw off. I started overboosting and that eventually led to where I am now.

Now if you dont keep the stock motor and you actually build it so that its stronger from the start, then depending on what you get, you can easily and reliably make enough power to put most supercars to shame. I hate to even think about comparing an STI or an Evo to say...an F430 or something on that level because no matter what I do to my car, it will never feel the same or have the same prestige level or the looks, or the ungodlyness. Granted all of that, it doesnt mean that a modded sti or evo cant go faster around a track than a 430. So its really an interesting way to look at things, you can buy an STI for 30k, put 20k into it and for a final tag of 50k, beat just about anything europe can throw at you.

Give me 20k with a stock sti and I'd say....7k motor, 3k supporting mods, 3k suspension work, 2k tuning and a 5k crazy huge turbo setup and you have a 600WHP (AT LEAST) car that will handle like its on rails. Easily 10 second quarter mile and damn good handling. Now tell me what can you buy for that 100, 150, 200k dollars that comes close to that? Youre talking supercar level now....

I can put some C16 in the car, run 29psi and make some 575whp+, thats around 700bhp because of drivetrain loss... Seems like a pretty good deal to me for the nearly 15k I have in it...

So harry, thats the answer to your comment

sorry ranting.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #58
RC45
Regular User

You guys gotta understand one thing. If done correctly, a modded car should be able to be fairly reliable on a long run basis. An sti with the right mods and the right tuning could reliably break the 400whp mark, even more for the evo. My car had a faulty turbo and because of that, the tuning was completely throw off. I started overboosting and that eventually led to where I am now.

Now if you dont keep the stock motor and you actually build it so that its stronger from the start, then depending on what you get, you can easily and reliably make enough power to put most supercars to shame. I hate to even think about comparing an STI or an Evo to say...an F430 or something on that level because no matter what I do to my car, it will never feel the same or have the same prestige level or the looks, or the ungodlyness. Granted all of that, it doesnt mean that a modded sti or evo cant go faster around a track than a 430. So its really an interesting way to look at things, you can buy an STI for 30k, put 20k into it and for a final tag of 50k, beat just about anything europe can throw at you.

Give me 20k with a stock sti and I'd say....7k motor, 3k supporting mods, 3k suspension work, 2k tuning and a 5k crazy huge turbo setup and you have a 600WHP (AT LEAST) car that will handle like its on rails. Easily 10 second quarter mile and damn good handling. Now tell me what can you buy for that 100, 150, 200k dollars that comes close to that? Youre talking supercar level now....

I can put some C16 in the car, run 29psi and make some 575whp+, thats around 700bhp because of drivetrain loss... Seems like a pretty good deal to me for the nearly 15k I have in it...

So harry, thats the answer to your comment

sorry ranting.
You asked ...

$35K used Z = (that already has $15K in hot motor work) + $5K handling stuff.. you will have a 700rwhp, 3100lb car that will handle like it's on rails

Running pump gas, n/a and daily drivable hehe.

Sadly everyone I knwo in Houston with a worked over STi or EVO has at least one such "overboost" horror story and they always seem to be driving on borrowed engine life-time.

I guess that's just the nature of a huge ly boosted 4 banger - youput way more stress on the parts - not to mention all the blown trasfer cases and clutches and other stuff these guys go through they beat on the car.

As you say - gotta pay to play.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #59
callen
Regular User

04RCSTI, thats an awesome ride you got there! I love the colour,. and havin just spent the past 10 minutes browsing the topic im up to speed on all ur unfortunate incidents that come hand in hand with a highly modded import... its too bad that the turbo was faulty.. but it is good to hear that you are taking it lightly and not too bummed out about it... i know it would get to me... either way great car, it looks awesome and its good that you have the $$$ flow to keep this baby happy!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #60
04RCSTI
Regular User

thanks Callen, thanks for taking the time to go through the thread.

Engine will be here 2morrow, I will get pictures of the process!!!