Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #46
TNT
Regular User

Lola-Ford Cosworth Champ Car
Speed at 1 mile: 203.3 mph — 3rd
Time to 1 mile: 24.2 sec — 1st

Gentilozzi is worried that his Lola isn't very aerodynamic, that its exposed wheels and large wings, together with the downforce-producing underbody, will create a car that hits an aerodynamic brick wall that other sleeker cars will slice through and reach a higher top speed in the mile. He's right, that happens. But no car in this test gets through the mile as quickly as the DHL-sponsored Lola, whose suspension and gearing are tailored for the Portland race the following weekend.

Following a couple of disappointing runs in which ex-Formula 1 driver Timo Glock of Germany says he can actually feel the drag slowing the car down, the DHL Lola is prepped to go out again, this time with the Ford Cosworth engine now having "Power 2 Pass" engaged, which gives the 2.65-liter turbo V-8 an extra 300 revs (to 12,300) and a half psi of additional boost, which bumps the output to 800 bhp. The power increase, together with a rear wing reduced to just one small element, the brake cooling ducts taped off and the optional stickier Bridgestone slicks, makes for a much better car in the mile. Following some wild tire-warming burnouts, the Lola blisters through the mile in 24.2 sec., 1.4 sec. ahead of the next quickest car, the Hennessey Viper. That's a long distance at 203.3 mph.

Two other amazing stats: The Champ Car hits 150 mph in only 8.6 sec., and averages nearly 150 mph for the whole mile. If another car hits the starting line already at that speed and keeps it there, the Champ Car, from a standing start, will catch it by the end of the mile! Also, Rocketsports' own data show that when Glock lets off the throttle after the run, the Lola experiences nearly 1g of deceleration, close to the force a typical production car reaches in panic braking. Just imagine what a Champ Car could do given better aero....

that is with out changing the settings on the car.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #47
golfiste
Regular User

it is fake ,look carefully

car videos
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #48
TNT
Regular User

^^^ and how do you figure that?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #49
RC45
Regular User

So what is the 1/4 mile time for the car? And not some calculated claim - a measurment taken by rolling the car up to a set of timing lights and hitting the go-pedal.

0-100km in 3s, 0-200km in 8s is really not that impressive for a car specifically built to accelerate and run top speed.

Remember, other cars costing way less and build to go fast, accelerate stop and turn are right behind this over price hunk of junk

Think about it - its 4wd, purpose built to accelerate and costs a million bucks - shouldn't it somehow be much much quicker?

I mean it can't even hang with a frealing Lotus around corners
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #50
nthfinity
Regular User

this months Automobile Magazine did the worst review i have ever read EVER... and it happened to be of the Bugatti Veyron "coast to coast" if you call it that... it was from one side of Florida to teh other... whoopty doooo.

no testing of accelleration potential, no hard acclleration by the Jurnalist, no testing its turning capabilities, and totally shitty pictures (boo to Tom Salt)

the reason I think it was soooooo terrible? Affermitive action... a woman was the reviewer.

not even worth the read, or looking at pictures.

oh, and when they were thinking of putting down some numbers for the Veyron... a computer glitch caused the car not to do a hard launch, not unlike the video in question...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #51
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso

the point of the Veyron is to defy comparison to anything, which is something it does VERY succesfully.
No it doesn't.

It has t e compared very carefully to specific performance envelopes and nothing else.

It fast in a straight line - period.

It has no other grounds for comparison to anything.

There are many cars that are more luxurious.

There are MANY cars that are more exclusive.

And other than "new price there are MANY cars that are more expensive.

It only does one thing well, and that is go in a straight line from 0-400kmh - and even that takes uber special prep to repeat back to back.

Originally Posted by Ronin005
ALL HAIL the king of the supercars!

it can beat an F1 car off the line......or a motorcycle........amazing.
oh, dont even bring a F1 car into this pic as they arent built for taking off not to mention they dont have traction control, not to mention with 4 turbo's it better fucking be fast off the line.

its still a POS TURD!!
Oh - and for this opinion Ronin is my hero... **swoon** **blush** **flutter eyelids**
Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #52
taygunho
Regular User

:shocked!: :shocked!: This is Fast. Veyron is not accelerating from 0 to 100km/h it starts at 100 km/h :shocked!: :shocked!:
Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #53
RC45
Regular User

^^^nothing you said was relevant to what i was saying OR went against what i was saying. please re-read my post and try again. thank you.
Everything I said was relevant.

The Bugnasty Vagrant is only good at going in a straight line - and even then it is debatable whether performance is repeatable.

Besides which, with 8l of 16 cylinder quad turbo and a million dollar price tag you would hope it was faster in a straight line than all the other 1000hp street cars out there. Which it barely is. It is not twice as fast but rather a few 10ths of a seconds faster.

Period.

The car is not the "car of all time" you make it out to be.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #54
caneswell
Regular User

Impressive video. It will be extremely quick off the line with all that traction and torque and enough power. Probably faster than an F1 car as they really struggle with traction (not enough weight, very stiff suspension so not much weight transfer and two wheel drive)

But once traction is gained the F1 car would anihilate it, 1230bhp/tonne to ~500bhp/tonne = Byby Veyron and thats with their current weedy 2.4 litre V8s with no turbo!!.

Then as the speed climbed the veyron would start to gain and would reach a faster top speed. i doubt you could make an F1 car much more aerodynamic than a veyron due to its open wheels and the veyron has more power.

Would be a good race to watch
Old 05-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #55
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^^nothing you said was relevant to what i was saying OR went against what i was saying. please re-read my post and try again. thank you.
Everything I said was relevant.

The Bugnasty Vagrant is only good at going in a straight line - and even then it is debatable whether performance is repeatable.

Besides which, with 8l of 16 cylinder quad turbo and a million dollar price tag you would hope it was faster in a straight line than all the other 1000hp street cars out there. Which it barely is. It is not twice as fast but rather a few 10ths of a seconds faster.

Period.

The car is not the "car of all time" you make it out to be.
Isnt that a similar argument people make on American sports cars, more generally the Z06? Look where that got them. I dont think this car has been tested on any track, officially or unofficially. Kinda useless debating about it.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #56
saadie
Regular User

^^ it was tested on some track ....

the driver lost it while braking at a bend ... tried to recover by giving it traction ... but guess what .... the wheels started spinning ....
this car is just a heap of shit .... strait line speed dosnt mean its the king of the world ... CCX is the king .... face it .... it can do alot more then just going fast in a straitline ..
Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #57
nthfinity
Regular User

in reference to the two above posts (who brought up american cars here anyway?)

the C6 Z06 has been tested at tracks like the Nurburgring (king of all tracks) Spa, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Gingerman Raceway, Gratton, Waterford Hills, Sebring International Circuit, Leguna Seca, Watkins Geln, Top Gear track, and a host of other tracks where guss what...?

It does AMAZING!

We all know of issues, and limitations on the CGT Press cars after a few accidents/speeding tickets etc.... and that the press car even had more wallowy suspension then the production car...

My guess is the Veyron isn't any different...

the most recent (WORST EVER in Automobile) review had a cumputer glitch kill the proper launch... of course, once moving, it is pretty much the fastest thing "alive" from WoltsVagon
Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #58
TNT
Regular User

until there are some offical times its junk. a major car mag needs to run it or a video at a drag strip. I am with RC45 on this one.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #59
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by JoeHahn
Isnt that a similar argument people make on American sports cars, more generally the Z06? Look where that got them. I dont think this car has been tested on any track, officially or unofficially. Kinda useless debating about it.
WTF?

How did you come to this conclusion?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #60
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by SWT
until there are some offical times its junk. a major car mag needs to run it or a video at a drag strip. I am with RC45 on this one.
I'm not with RC here
I think the Veyron is one of the most spectacular cars made... easily top 10

We have magazine after magazine, and even Komotar telling us how uber spectacular the car is... the fastest they have ever driven (accelleration wise) and suprisingly nimble for its weight.

We (some of us) already know how fast it is at the king of all tracks... and that definately wasn't impressive... I would like to see more footage, and higher quality to the one with the elise chasing the Veyron around a track... obviously, the owner isn't quite so experienced with track work... but give him time, espeicially if he had some fun
Closed Thread