Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-25-2004, 02:30 AM   #46
Zarkoff500
Regular User

Is there any possibility that this CTS Super V is just a mule for the next Z06 engine? To test durability and all that? Why would GM make a car that could possibly take away sales from it's halo vehicle? Perhaps GM with Cadillac is going in a direction that wasn't expected by taking on the mighty M5, but is that smart marketing if there is a 600hp CTS and also a 500 hp or more C6 that wouldn't be priced all that far apart? I didn't think that car makers wanted to compete with other makers under their corporate umbrella.
Zarkoff500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:35 AM   #47
graywolf624
Regular User

Is there any possibility that this CTS Super V is just a mule for the next Z06 engine? To test durability and all that? Why would GM make a car that could possibly take away sales from it's halo vehicle? Perhaps GM with Cadillac is going in a direction that wasn't expected by taking on the mighty M5, but is that smart marketing if there is a 600hp CTS and also a 500 hp or more C6 that wouldn't be priced all that far apart? I didn't think that car makers wanted to compete with other makers under their corporate umbrella.
I don't think the cts would compete with the corvette even with the same hsp. The corvette is a 2 seater sports car. The cts is a sports sedan. Those are two seperate markets. Furthermore, while corvette has always been gms top performance car(honestly even with the same hsp a corvette would be far faster then the cts due to weight) caddilac has always been the innovation leader in terms of luxury. Luxury in the modern era includes but is not limited too performance. Corvette on the other hand.. should and does toss out the luxury in favor of performance value.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #48
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

I think it looks better and it will be faster than the CTS, but I still like the looks of the new M5 better. Hopefully more cars like this will start a hp war. HP wars are always good.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #49
ahmedgiyab
Regular User

The CTS is an American Opel Omega....

and we all know that the Omega was never a competition for MB and BMW......
Old 06-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #50
amanthapar
Regular User

americans can build cars with 1000bhp .. if they wanted to ...

but its not about staright line speed.. its about handling and euro cars are superior in that department....

i think americans like to race in a staright line cos they know they cant build a good handling car... no wonder they started the idea of having a quarter mile drag race...

if any of u guys think im wrong then answer this question : why do bmw and merc and audi and porsche and ferrari and aston martin and so so so on on on
sell so well in the americas?
there are so many bmws in usa in fact highest market in the world for bmw apart from germany.
amanthapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #51
graywolf624
Regular User

they know they cant build a good handling car
CTS-V
viper
saleen s7
Z06...

need I go on?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #52
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
CTS-V
viper
saleen s7
Z06...

need I go on?
Yah - I don't think he realised the CTS-V lapped the 'Ring quicker than the M5.. ;P
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #53
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by amanthapar
americans can build cars with 1000bhp .. if they wanted to ...

but its not about staright line speed.. its about handling and euro cars are superior in that department....

i think americans like to race in a staright line cos they know they cant build a good handling car... no wonder they started the idea of having a quarter mile drag race...

if any of u guys think im wrong then answer this question : why do bmw and merc and audi and porsche and ferrari and aston martin and so so so on on on
sell so well in the americas?
there are so many bmws in usa in fact highest market in the world for bmw apart from germany.
OK we do have 1000hp cars called Lingenfelters that can out handle alot of european cars.
Some better handling cars have been listed.
The companies you listed sell so well here because there are a lot of rich people here and they buy them for the name there are alot of people that own foreign and domestic cars. Why do people pay outrageous prices for American cars in Europe? they can't be all that bad now can they? Hell a Corvette costs an arm and a leg in europe and I can't imagine the price of the Viper but people buy them.
Atleast BMW doesn't sell their crappy ass diesels here because they know they won't sell. My uncle owns a BMW 530i (the new one) but still drives his camaro all the time.
They started 1/4 mile drag racing back before your parents were born back when cars didn't handle that well no matter what part of the world they were from.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:51 PM   #54
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by graywolf624
CTS-V
viper
saleen s7
Z06...

need I go on?
Yah - I don't think he realised the CTS-V lapped the 'Ring quicker than the M5.. ;P
ok lets settle this i can make a list of eurpean cars that can out handle any american car (not after market like Lingenfelters)

and you "need to go on" at least more then 4 cause:
lotus elise, vx turbo, noble, and lets just say m3 are 4 right there that can out handle those cars
Old 06-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #55
T-Bird
Regular User

well the Shelby Cobra and Series 1
Ford GT
suprisingly the Crossfire (mercedes frame)
new Magnum/300C (mercedes frame)
Cobra R
more to come I'm sure...

Are you sure that the M3 can out handle the Saleen S7...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #56
graywolf624
Regular User

ok lets settle this i can make a list of eurpean cars that can out handle any american car (not after market like Lingenfelters)
Yeah.. and how much do these cars cost.. Remember only one american car even costs more then 100000.

and you "need to go on" at least more then 4 cause:
lotus elise, vx turbo, noble, and lets just say m3 are 4 right there that can out handle those cars
an m3 isnt going to out handle a lightenfelder.. It wont outhandle a zo6 or a ctsv

vxtubro, lotus elise are same car. Noble is like that saleen s7.. not exactly your normal car...

Add to list:
Chevy camaro with 1le suspension pack.
Pontiac Firehawk
upcoming pontiac solstice.
GTO
mosler 9500
Lincoln LS

Also you talked in another thread about how merc owns chrysler controlling..So how bout we count the new jags, mazdas, aston martins, saabs, holdens, as american. Needless to say quite a few of the pieces and design were helped along by americans and the design decisions were led by americans.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #57
blah
Regular User

Ford Focus SVT handles like a motherfucker, compared to all your Euro Hot Hatches. SRT4, SVT Cobra, Corvette W/WO Z51 Suspension.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #58
amanthapar
Regular User

err.. okay it laped faster than a m5... BUT U REALLY THINK IT CAN HANDLE BETTER ? ..... u think it can give u that much thrill?

come on guys..
CTS-V < new m5

saleen s7 <carrera gt, enzo , SLR hahahah
Z06... u call that good handling?< porsche carrera 4 !
Old 06-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #59
Tomerville
Regular User

Nope because in EU no one gives a damn about GM cars, and in the US it will still be more prestigous to have a M BMW, or AMG Mercedes.
Not necessarily true. Those are baught as RC said by the pretentious Starbuck-generation yuppies. And old peope.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:44 PM   #60
amanthapar
Regular User

hmmm..... i guess this will never end...
but the fact remains there are a higher number of euro cars that are better than usa cars..

tell me a car that can corner faster than a enzo has to be american ..

oh btw TBIRD THE NEW FORD GT 40 IS MOSTLY EUROPEAN.. suspension, brakes i know for sure .. engine is american styling was from the orginal GT 40 1967 which was build and engineered in a UK ford division where british were employed , they just used american money....
crossfire ? no way ! it has merc stuff yeah..

DIESEL? WTF IS WRONG WITH ... U GUYS HAVE CRAPPY EMISSION LAWS THATS WHY DIESEL CARS AREnt ABLE TO BE SOLD THERE... AND WHY ARE U RANTING ON A DIESEL? WHO WANTS A DIESEL ANYWA?