Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #46
blinkmeat
Regular User

Terrible news... I hope you're alright
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #47
StanAE86
Regular User

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and your loss. If there is anything I can help with, please let me know. I do not know what the judicial system is over there, but if it's anything similar to here, I might be able to shed some light on what is in store.

The issue for the police will be as you said, the degree of criminal culpability you had on that day. In the US, there are varying degrees of "manslaughter" - when you take the life of another individual through negligence or an accident. Here, we have a specific charge of vehiclular manslaughter dealing with when the accident involves a car. The investigators will attempt to determine if you were "reckless" in any manner, which would count against you. The fact that you likely have a good past record will help, because in the end, the system does not want to ruin your life for a mistake. But if you past has multiple examples of you taking risks without heed for the lives of others, then they may be a bit more hard on you.

Depending on who his surviving family is, you may also be facing a civil lawsuit for the "wrongful death" of your friend. This will be civil litigation and will deal with the monetary "value" of your friend's life. The potential income he would have made had he lived, that his family would have had. The lvalue for the loss, support and companion he would have given his family, etc. This portion will be dealt with, through your auto insurance company and the type of coverage you have. If you're lucky, the family will understand that mistakes and accidents happen. In which case, the best case scenario will be that they have the financial means to continue with their lives. If they are not in that financial position, that they will proceed only against your insurance coverage. The worse case scenario is that they will proceed against your insurance, then against you personally, for additional assets, which is typically rare in the US.

Again, this is information for US laws, which may not be anything similar to your country.

I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and wish you strength in coping with the heartache and headaches to come. Again, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #48
Mattk
Regular User

^I think it's a civil law system in Switzerland, which is vastly different from the common law system in our countries, especially for negligence suits.

I'm sorry for your loss, Matteo, and I offer my condolences to you and the family of your friend. It's never easy to lose a family member or friend, not least when you were there when it happened. Stay strong, and stay positive. The police will not proceed unless they have good evidence you were reckless. From what you described, it was an unfortunate, and tragic accident. Don't blame yourself.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #49
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

I´m so sorry for your loss TT. I can´t even begin to imagine how you must feel. I got goosebumps from reading your story...but I´m glad you´re ok.

I send you my best wishes and condolences to you and your friend´s family.

Remember that you have the support of all the JW community. Again, I am, really sorry.

May your friend rest in peace.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #50
chest3r
Regular User

Really sad to hear this :cry:

That's for sure the worst moment I remember in this community.

Be strong, man !! And remember we'll always be here !
Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #51
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I feel extremely sorry for your loss TT.. I hope you and your friend's family get through this tough situation with the best of luck.

Take care and may your friend rest in peace.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #52
cooperluke
Regular User

Well....... reading your description... it was so visual I even lost my words.

Hard moments you're living... you seem to be dealing with the situation reasonably well, considering how it ended and the problems that may turn upon you. Hope you stay strong, normally people hang on very well on the first days, and only after a week or two they realize what really happened. It happened to me to a great friend of mine who passed away some years ago.

Just have a few words for you... don't try to deal with all the pressure alone, talk with your family and the parents of your friend, and support each other!! Don't be afraid to cry or share your feelings with your family, let off the pressure.

Don't know if you'll apreciate it or not, but I'll pray for you and your friend.

Hope ALL of us here in JW can learn something with this accident, and be more and more careful than ever. Even the most experienced driver has moments when he looses trhe control, happens to everyone, he just have to admit that and be very careful!

HANG ON Matteo!! Be strong and help others to be strong!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #53
PATo355
Regular User

My condolences TT ... its very hard what you are living right now , but you dont have responsability in it ... take care ...

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 PM   #54
cooperluke
Regular User

About the 944.... it's minor details, compared to the rest... but still a loss.

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #55
philip
Regular User

I am so sorry this has happened. My sincere condolences go out to you and your friends family. No words only time will heal these wounds.

Last August, I had only recently joined JW and read the excitement in your posts about your new white S2.

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=696117#696117
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #56
novass
Regular User

I am very sorry to hear about this Matteo. Death is never an easy aspect of life to cope with, but most, if not all of us have unfortunately dealt with it at some point or another and can relate to the feeling of loss. Dont beat yourself up over it though, try to stay positive and remember that it wasnt your fault. Unavoidable occurences happen every day, its just a part of life.

My condolences.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #57
acmarttin
Regular User

Matteo - I wish you all the best, bro.

I'm sorry for your loss.

-A
Old 12-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #58
stmoritzer
Regular User

Just turned on the PC this morning and after the frist topic I saw about thecrashed 360 in Perth, things got worse, much worse reading the title of your topic :cry: :cry:

I'm so sorry to read these sad lines, my deep feelings to you, your and your friends family, may your buddy rest in peace. I started reading the thread, so more words in a few minutes ...
prolly you mentioned it somewhere, but is the A3 driver ok too ?

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 AM   #59
Jabba
Regular User

Just about any bodys worst nightmare come true, and to one of the nicest blokes that I have ever known on the internet. Life is so unfair sometimes.

We will all get you through this TT 0X
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #60
Shinigami
Regular User

You sound like a strong man and I think you'll be able to surmount this terrible event that shook your life. We're here for you whenever you need us.

A friend of mine also lost control of his car on a highway in France some years back in a similar accident. Investigations showed that this was due to an oil slick...