Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #46
vaanish
Regular User

i hear this alot, my opinion is that it is extremely difficult to get across your personality through a camera lens in an interview, and the lewis on tv is probably nothing like the lewis in real life
vaanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #47
Mattk
Regular User

^And TV is not real life? Journalists are not real people? It's not like he's in a sopa opera.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #48
zeus_2011
Regular User

Give the boy some slack.....hes doing what most of us could only dream of at a tender age, and hes doing it very well. I am sure that he will b champion one day, and repeat that success (lets just hope hes in a red car or a blue and white lol).
He may seem arrogant at times but he is still growing up.....hes (hopefully) learning from silly mistakes (re: Canada) and his ego has surely taken a blow so far this season.
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #49
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by zeus_2011 View Post
Give the boy some slack.....hes doing what most of us could only dream of at a tender age, and hes doing it very well. I am sure that he will b champion one day, and repeat that success ....
people(mostly British) were saying same thing for Jensen Button, and he only scored one win when everybody were out of race
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #50
CarlZ
Regular User

^ya know, hamilton already have more than one win, so comparing them two...dunno
Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 AM   #51
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by CarlZ View Post
^ya know, hamilton already have more than one win, so comparing them two...dunno
I know, it was a joke, but really people are putting a lot of preasure on Lewis, he got all the fame and all the money so early and I think it might backfire at him same as it did to Britney.
but one thing is for sure it will be interesting to watch
Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #52
zeus_2011
Regular User

Dunno if u can compare Button to Hamilton. When Button arrived he was seen as a "hopeful" by the British press for about a season - which proved fruitless. On the other hand Lewis very nearly won a title in his rookie season (hence why I said to give him some slack!). Don't get me wrong, i was ecstatic when Kimi thrashed everyone last yr by just keeping his head down and scoring points where it mattered, but that doesn;t detract from Lewis applaudable performance, its what has made F1 interesting again (together with - for me at least - the exclusion of traction control ans other minor rule changes).

Lets hope we continue to get differing characters like Kimi - Massa - Hamilton - Kubica for the sake of F1.
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #53
Mattk
Regular User

The difference is that Jenson Button seems to be a fairly likeable person. Lewis Hamilton is just...not.

On another note, he read a speech during the Nelson Mandela birthday concert recently. He tried to be humble and claimed he wasn't used to doing this sort of thing. Perhaps, but he did play Zeus in a Turkish play once.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #54
crayzayjay
Regular User

Nothing to do with people skills - he has those in abundance. He's very eloquent and knows how to act in front of the camera. I thought he was an arrogant tosser when he appeared on TG and the more I see him the more I cannot stand him.

Absolute tosser. Hope he never wins the championship

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #55
styla21
Regular User

I just don't understand him saying things like this....

However, the Briton told the Daily Mail newspaper on Monday that he saw little reason to seek advice from former grand prix drivers.
"I'm in a unique position," said Hamilton. "Nobody has felt exactly the same things as I've felt. The only person I really take advice from is my Dad.
"Whenever I speak to Damon or Jackie I do take what they say on board, but I'm not going to go searching them out and ask how I can be world champion. I want to do it on my own. I got to where I am on my own, with my family."
Jackie Stewart commented..
Stewart said drivers like Hamilton, with only 25 grands prix under his belt, needed to be kept calm and to think strategically.
"The discipline of not making mistakes is what wins. To finish first, first you must finish," he said.
"My record was 99 starts and 27 wins, and it wasn't that I was necessarily that fast. It was just that I thought fairly carefully about how you had to go quickly but you couldn't go over the top.
"The drivers shouldn't go over the top, even now. The over-the-top thing has probably taken the world championship lead away from Lewis Hamilton right now."
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #56
Pokiou
Regular User

Oh god.. the amount of @#$!,If you read what he says.. He simply said he wants to win on his own merits.. He doesn't want people to say... HE won cause Schuamacher taught him or Jackie taught him.. You know how hard it is to be 2nd... seriously... any1 with a younger brother ask them how it feels to be 2nd... and same goes for Hamilton, he wants to win with his own driving ability and learn him self.. Advice from his father so what. im 28 and i ask advice off my mother about my money ... yea i could go ask a banker but its not his money at the end of the day if i lose my money I lose it not him, so i understand why he listens and trusts his father. Mclaren will be around forever same as ferrari .. But the pilots will only be remembered if that even.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #57
turpija
Regular User

that's ok if he wants to win championship on his own but if he took some advices he might have been a champion allready
Old 07-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #58
fordgt84
Regular User

Hamilton is right though,
i mean at the end of the day it's him and the car, he has to use his own instincts, and apply the advice when HE feels necessary...no use living on the words of others, u must be able to make your own decisions and live with your mistakes... it's perfectly understandable that he listens to his father, he's the one who's had his back from day one, what have damon hill and jackie stewart done for him?
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #59
styla21
Regular User

Performing at elite level is not just physical ability - it is as much a mental battle.
This is where coaching could make the difference.

Mark Hughes hits the mark in this article..
An extract:
His talent is such that he’s quite capable of delivering devastating performances despite this. But until he’s come to terms with his fame, and stopped worrying about how a media he doesn’t understand is going about its job, there will be inconsistencies in his performances.
This isn’t intended to be ‘nasty’. It’s just the reporting of how things are.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #60
styla21
Regular User

Some funny comments made
From ITV-f1.com

Dad pulls Lewis out of Button triathlon.
Lewis Hamilton’s father Anthony has put a stop to his son’s plans of competing against Jenson Button in a charity triathlon.
Hamilton accepted his fellow British driver’s challenge to compete in a swim-bike-run event later this month in Thursday’s press conference at Silverstone, after claiming he was fitter than Button earlier this week.
In a lively press conference ahead of their home race, the McLaren and Honda drivers got involved in an entertaining exchange that resulted in Hamilton eventually accepting the challenge after regular triathlon runner Button offered to give money to charity if he lost.
“What if I say £10,000 to the charity of your choice if you beat me? What do you think?” Jenson asked.
“Are you trying to steer me off this championship or what?” Lewis replied.
Button then countered: “It’s the only thing I can be competitive in at the moment. Think about it.”
Then asking further pressing on whether the event would take place by the assembled reporters, Hamilton eventually agreed: “The biggest incentive is, if I do beat you, then you’ve got some money for a charity which is great. However, you do have an advantage as you’ve already done one, and I already know that by doing one you’re better the next time. But man, I’m up for it, I’m up for it.
He then added: “OK, let’s do it. It’s a date.”
However what would likely have been a much-hyped ‘F1 Battle of Britain’ has now been scrapped after Lewis’s father and manager Anthony pulled his son out of the planned event.
"Lewis accepted the challenge like the good sport he is and in the spirit with which he accepts things,” Hamilton senior said in a statement.
“But unfortunately for Lewis, we are withdrawing him from this.
“We are in the middle of a championship and that is the focus of our attention."
The third British driver in the press conference, David Coulthard had already ruled himself out of going up against his two younger compatriots, with the Scot, heading for retirement at the end of the season, saying at 37 he was too old.
He did however offer to carry the water bottles.