Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #61
F250
Regular User

I run Portuguese tires on my Veyron. They are made of hemp, fishmeal, and cattle dung. Jeremy Clarkson thinks they are better than American Goodyears.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #62
pagani
Regular User

Cool

Originally Posted by turpija View Post
Veyron uses specially developed tires and they are rated to 250mph+ so they are guaranted they can take top speed run without problems(if they are not damaged)
SSC uses Michelin pilot sport ps2 which is high end tire but they are not rated for 250mph, they don't "explode" when driven faster then they rated speed, but the manufacturer doesn't guarante you that they are safe beyond rated speed.
How many people that will buy the scc will test it's top speed?
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #63
abrown250
Regular User

so does that mean that bugatti simply didnt take the risk like ssc of seeing how much faster the car could go?
abrown250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #64
toffytofik
Regular User

^
No. Power to weight ratio simply isn't good enough to go any faster regardless of tires.

Originally Posted by chedisme View Post
i dont get if the veyron is limited by the tires just get better tires. if the ssc has tires that can do 256, and there a small company, why cant VW find tires that can do it. or heres a bright idea create tires that can handle it. i mean they already spent about 5 million dollars on the veyron, why not spend some more and get better tires.

and just just to clarify i like both cars equally in different ways.
In terms of weight Veyron is a fuken tank. Add the fact it has positive net downforce and you'll get the weight getting close to something like 2,5 tons at 400kph, so tires heat very rapidly. Now Bugatti claims they'll last whole 15 minutes under such load which is actually great achivement. I don't doubt they designed the tires as good as they could.

Last edited by toffytofik; 03-08-2008 at 10:07 AM.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #65
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
How many people that will buy the scc will test it's top speed?
I don't know, first we must see how many people will buy it

Originally Posted by abrown250
so does that mean that bugatti simply didnt take the risk like ssc of seeing how much faster the car could go?
yes I think so, but the orignial goal set by Mr.Piech was 1000hp, 400kmh top speed, and every day useability, so 407kmh is more then originaly planed but I heard that Piech secretly wanted to beat old Porsche 962 dauer so they did a little bit extra top speed just to be sure

Originally Posted by toffytofik
No. Power to weight ratio simply isn't good enough to go any faster regardless of tires.
weight has little to do with top speed, it's simple drag vs power thing, SSC has much better power to weight ratio but that resulted in just slightly better top speed.
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #66
pagani
Regular User

I don't know, first we must see how many people will buy it

yes I think so, but the orignial goal set by Mr.Piech was 1000hp, 400kmh top speed, and every day useability, so 407kmh is more then originaly planed but I heard that Piech secretly wanted to beat old Porsche 962 dauer so they did a little bit extra top speed just to be sure

weight has little to do with top speed, it's simple drag vs power thing, SSC has much better power to weight ratio but that resulted in just slightly better top speed.
The scc could go faster than it's current record.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #67
enzoferrari
Regular User

I run Portuguese tires on my Veyron. They are made of hemp, fishmeal, and cattle dung. Jeremy Clarkson thinks they are better than American Goodyears.
and if clarson says that the car is ugly,it would be ugly for you,right.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #68
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
The scc could go faster than it's current record.
yea that's what's buging me, people will allways say that, even if Koenigsegg beats SSC people will say that SSC can go faster
Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #69
enzoferrari
Regular User

even if Koenigsegg beats SSC people will say that SSC can go faster
Please
numbers dont lie.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #70
turpija
Regular User

you didn't undertstand what I'm trying to say
SSC guys said that they are fastest but there is plenty of speed left in car, they said that if they had longer road/track they could go even faster, and then pagani refered to that by saying that ssc can go faster then it's current record, so if koenigsegg beats ssc some people will say that ssc can go faster, not faster then koenigsegg but their previous record, but nobody knows how much faster can it go. maybe(probably) it's only few mph
Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #71
pagani
Regular User

you didn't undertstand what I'm trying to say
SSC guys said that they are fastest but there is plenty of speed left in car, they said that if they had longer road/track they could go even faster, and then pagani refered to that by saying that ssc can go faster then it's current record, so if koenigsegg beats ssc some people will say that ssc can go faster, not faster then koenigsegg but their previous record, but nobody knows how much faster can it go. maybe(probably) it's only few mph
The body of the car is stable up to 273 mph(436 km/h)
Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #72
toffytofik
Regular User

Here's some info i maneged to find on the net:

And because of the short straightaway, S-bends, and uneven pavement from the public road, SSC says that there was a lot more pedal to push, leaving 6-10 mph for future purposes.

SSC will send an Ultimate Aero to Europe to test its true top speed on one of Germany's ultra-smooth test tracks, just like the Bugatti Veyron, Koenigsegg CCR, and McLaren F1.

The Ultimate Aero also broke Road and Track's slalom record, previously held by the Ferrari Enzo.
So they claim it's somewhat 10 mph reserve. But why do they need to go in Germany to test it? Isn't there long enough test polygons in USA? At least they could've tested it at Bonneville (i know it's not the same as the ultra-smooth asphalt of Germany... anyways.)

You're right, kinda. But static weight does matter too, even if in less degree
Anyway, seems like both Veyron and SCC suffer from excess drag generated by the heap of radiators found on both these cars. Furthermore Veyron's got a relatively large frontal area which isn't good ~ lots of drag.

Last edited by toffytofik; 03-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #73
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by toffytofik View Post
Here's some info i maneged to find on the net:

So they claim it's somewhat 10 mph reserve. But why do they need to go in Germany to test it? Isn't there long enough test polygons in USA? At least they could've tested it at Bonneville (i know it's not the same as the ultra-smooth asphalt of Germany... anyways.)

You're right, kinda. But static weight does matter too, even if in less degree
Anyway, seems like both Veyron and SCC suffer from excess drag generated by the heap of radiators found on both these cars. Furthermore Veyron's got a relatively large frontal area which isn't good ~ lots of drag.
You will need extra power to go faster because of the drag.
I wonder how much power the scc makes on e85 or race fuel or high pomp fuel like bp ulimate
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #74
HeilSvenska
Regular User

All we need is a guy who's insanely rich to buy all of the cars mentioned here, Saleen S7 TT 1000hp, Koenigsegg CCXR, Bugatti Veyron, and the SSC Aero TT then rent a stretch of road, hire an insanely brave man, and test the top speeds of these cars. Just once to end this argument once and for all.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #75
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
All we need is a guy who's insanely rich to buy all of the cars mentioned here, Saleen S7 TT 1000hp, Koenigsegg CCXR, Bugatti Veyron, and the SSC Aero TT then rent a stretch of road, hire an insanely brave man, and test the top speeds of these cars. Just once to end this argument once and for all.
+1