Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: Can money buy you happiness?
Yes 43 62.32%
No 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #61
Overmind
Regular User

well, I'd say that indeed "money ONLY" can hardly buy you real happiness, you also need BRAIN, I mean It much more depends on each indidual... but being rich doesn't prevent you from beeing happy either... wealth can help you make your dreams come true, help achiev your lifes goals etc.

so, to answer the question... money as an ingredient can make you happier, but it won't "buy" the happiness.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #62
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by flat6
My guess is that Jabba takes a hefty hit out of his pocket for the enjoyment of the community, as well as running a slight risk with copyright issues.
Correct and also a fair amount of my time as well.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #63
pimrusis
Regular User

No, my family has money and I lack nothing in material goods... yet I still want to kill myself.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:16 AM   #64
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pimrusis
No, my family has money and I lack nothing in material goods... yet I still want to kill myself.
...and now I should feel sorry for you - sorry chum, I need the energy to live my life...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #65
corvette97
Regular User

money cant buy happiness, but can buy material goods that may bring happiness, (totally agree with overmind), TG, i dont really need anything, but as life goes on, dream appear, and makes u want to have material goods, i think its ok while u take care of the spiritual and emotive side of u!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:08 AM   #66
Copso
Regular User

Originally Posted by justin syder
do you think trumo is happy, he'll never have a person that loves him for him. sure having sex with those models is nice but he'll ask, "was i good in bed" and she'll say with dolar signs in her eyes, "the best donald!!!" -->is that happiness?

sure you'll be able to buy all the cars you want but that will spoil you. how much more happiness will a ferrari get, how long will that last? then after you have the ferrar, what else? you buy more? what about friends, you will never have real friends again, no matter what you think. even old good friends will be your friends cuz they know they can leech off of your riches. -->is that happiness??

you'll have a real hard time finding a wife to share your happiness with. how will see through your money to find the real you? you'll be a lonely person in your ferrari or other car. you'll also risk woman tryin to get pregnant by you to get money for their child and themselves. look at rolling stones' mcjagger, perfect example. he has to pay money to some bitch he dont want to be with for some kid he never wanted. ---->is that happiness??

true happiness is long lasting, working at a job you love to go to, marrying someone that has you walking on air, if you want them, having kids and raising them to be great adults. what most of you r talkin about is pleasure. pleasure is not long lasting, driving a car, whatever it is, is pleasure, sex with any woman you want and lasting as long as you can is pleasure, being able to buy anything you want is pleasure, that will get old too.

i vote for no, of course its great to have nice things and have tons of money but in the end you are better off without it. finding true happiness in life is a greater wealth than any dollar amount.
Money can't buy happiness in a strict sense because happiness is not a material object (be it a Ferrari Enzo or an aspirin), but it surely is the means to achieve the material well-being necessary to achieve happiness.

We can argue that if someone would have lots of money people would not love him/her because they would only have in mind the money, etc, etc... but it's like the James Bond caracter: he's James Bond not only because he drives an Aston Martin or has lots of cool gadgets or works for the MI6, or knows how to beat the bad guys, etc... He is James Bond because he's the SUM OF ALL THOSE

If you had money and you're a decent human being, with good health, loving parents and relatives, friends, etc... I assure u you would be happier than if you were in the same situation without money.

Truth is we humans NEED material things to be happy, they surely are not the only and most important parts to achieve happiness, but without them we cannot achieve it (unless you're a buddhist monk or some guy with a really high spiritual concience and then you wouldn't be in an internet forum devoted to discuss about nice cars and share naked chicks pics ).

"I disagree to Voltaire's idea about the right of every single person to express anything... There are certain opinions that should be censored out of sheer stupidity" ----> Fernando Savater
Copso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #67
Donny

I gave me a couple of nice cars. Two nice houses down by the sea, some nice watches,clothes, B&O equipment....etc.

Yes it made me happy, when I was broke it made me fairly unhappy. I could not do anything. A night out was even to expensive.

DOn

Giant terrago
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #68
maalox
Regular User

Money can't buy happiness, but it can make life a hell of a lot more comfortable.
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #69
dylan99
Regular User

Money makes it a lot easier
Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #70
jon_s
Regular User

Money is a major part of happiness, but not everything
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #71
Fleischmann
Regular User

The stuff u can nuy with money can make u happy, but it's still only "stuff"
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #72
corvette97
Regular User

yeap, but you might get bored with the "stuff", then you life is worthless, so thats why i think that the spirutial and emotional stuff comes first and then the material
Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #73
SamuraiGti
Regular User

But you can feel spiritual and emotional with money, if you have a supercar and go to a track with him, you'll get happy! Not for always but at least in that day, or in the days that you drive it.

But money can be also a very bad thing (in case of family relations etc etc).

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:34 AM   #74
Balls
Regular User

I think the real answer is that money can make life easier. In other words, self actualization is more easily reached when there are fewer obstacles. I'm not saying that more money equates to an easier life, but at the extreme sense of poverty and wealth, you have people who struggle for the basic necessities for life and people who struggle (just as hard) for things that are not so dire.

Wow... interesting question... I could think about this forever... ERR, perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that I've never really given this any true thought. My statements above are totally raw... I'm completely open to criticism.

-Balls, whose mind is totally blown...
Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:14 AM   #75
ambry
Regular User

Sure money can buy things that make you happy. But I think the most important aspect is it buys you the freedom to spend your time pursuing your own idea of happiness - instead of spending your time trying to meet your daily necessities.
ambry is offline   Reply With Quote