Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #61
FoxFour
Regular User

I have tried to gain access to Michelin's Motorsport link on this page and am getting no response. When I tried to click on the ALMS tab under the Motorsport link, another page opened up and said that the site is down at the moment.
http://www.michelin-us.com/#
Watch this space! Bet you that they are going to issue a lengthy statement. Oh well, one thing is for sure. The FIA is going to get some airtime on the US national nightly news tonight!
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #62
aj887
Regular User

I said this before in the thread I started, my bad for that. Max mosley is an idiot. So far rules have determined two races. Kimi Raikonnen losing because of his flat spot, although it was his fault he should have been able to change his tire and the USGP. There was nothing wrong with the rules before. The safety of the drivers is at stake. I do like the point Derek Bell brought up on the US broadcast in which he said that Firestone may have been able to give knowledge to bridgestone from their experience from Indy testing.
aj887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #63
G.Boss
Regular User

I think Michelin has no honor and is a piece of sh*t. I think they have no honor because they compromise their safety to get pole position, then after they get it, they wanna change the track. It's like I cheat in school and get all A's and go to a great school, and then i cant handle the work, so i ask the school to make everything easy. It's pure bs and I applaud Bridgestone. Oh yea, another thing. Ferrari is losing in the championship purely because of tires, but you don't see them saying anything. They just follow the rules and race. The other teams though, think that they are all cool and want to change the track just to win. They should drive slower, that's all. What are they, too high and mighty to accept defeat. They gotta change everything. Well i say, F**K THEM!
thank you, lol.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #64
ViperASR
Regular User

^^^^
I dont think that Michelin compromised their safety to get pole position. The only reason that Toyota got the pole was because they were running very low fuel because the American market is very important to Toyota. Toyota even admitted to running a low fuel load to get the pole, so yea.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #65
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by FoxFour
Originally Posted by thenumber1
Ridiculous.... Michelin surely in the wrong. Even if they were permitted to send a new tyre batch out, the cars set up would be all wrong.

:roll:

However, the commentary is worth listening to just for the politics going on
Lets just see what the situation is days or weeks after this race. I'm sure more info will be leaked out. As of now, I'm not blaming Michelin. Engineering failures can and do happen. At least they realized something was wrong and they acted accordingly. Hard decision but the right thing to do.
I understand that, but the Michelin decision to announce a fault was not hard. They had to do it, because if there was any injury/death/penalty incurred as a result of their tyres failing, it would be their heads on the block. They had to make the decision, it would have been negligent, let alone immoral, for them not to do so.

I am sure more information will leak out following the race, and i suspect we will never know the full story. As a guide, look at the time of a pesons post, then decide how much knowledge they had o base their arguement/comment on
Old 06-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #66
ae86_16v
Regular User

^^^ Slow down . . . the cars in those turns then. Yes you are at a competitive disadvantage, but Michelin fucked up. . . you can't change the course or penalize Ferrari and Bridgestone teams.

Bottomline, they fucked up.

Wow, this is amazing though. . . the reprecussion from this race will be very interesting to say the least.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #67
FoxFour
Regular User

They (Michelin) have learned the lessons that Firestone failed to learn. BTW, I have been going to all the Michelin sites all over the world, seems they have shut down their Motorsports links.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #68
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Fucking Michelin! This is horrible.

Michelin fucked up, and FIA didnt do anything wrong, nothing could have been done. Michelin should have another tire as by the rules in case the one they race has problems.

Bridgestone teams have the full right to race because they got everything right, they came in prepared, they should not suffer because of Michelin.

And I say the Michelin teams are full of fucking shit! THey can easily slow down for T13, it can be done, theres a pedal for slowing down, its called a brake!
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #69
jon_s
Regular User

It is a very sad day for F1 and more importantly the fans.

There is a lot of fall out involved in this which goes a lot further than F1. I was called into work this morning over some aspects of this, granted not on the immediate issue at hand, but putting contingency plans into place for one of the parties involved –(not for Michelin)- .

The whole situation is extremely volatile; the true depth and damage that this situation has caused is not yet known. It is probably of no surprise, but I have my doubts over Michelin’s future involvement in the sport.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #70
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

Michelin fucked up, and FIA didnt do anything wrong, nothing could have been done. Michelin should have another tire as by the rules in case the one they race has problems.

Bridgestone teams have the full right to race because they got everything right, they came in prepared, they should not suffer because of Michelin.

And I say the Michelin teams are full of fucking shit! THey can easily slow down for T13, it can be done, theres a pedal for slowing down, its called a brake!
I would say fucking FIA and Ferrai, all the teams were agree to race with a chicane even if they wouldn't get any points excepted Ferrari .....
It was just a question of safety ... As FIA boss remind some weeks ago
Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #71
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

I would say fucking FIA and Ferrai, all the teams were agree to race with a chicane even if they wouldn't get any points excepted Ferrari .....
It was just a question of safety ... As FIA boss remind some weeks ago
What did Ferrari do??? I think they had zero infuelnce on the issue.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #72
ViperASR
Regular User

I think that Michalin acted very maturly with what happend though. Eveyone seems to be mad at them, but i am proud of them. They took drivers saftey into play, and ruled that the saftey was more important than the race. I think that was a very mature decision.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #73
No.1
Regular User

@Yann's comments

That wasn't the case as far as i am concerned.

And even if the chicane was inserted, Michelin still provided inadequate materials. :roll: And what were the drivers supposed to do? Spend the first 10 laps trying to find the optimum braking point and clipping point for the new corner? I think not.... Ferrari and the others had to race.... they cannot decide not to race, it's in their contracts.

Anyway, enough speculation and comment from me, i want some press releases
Old 06-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #74
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I think that Michalin acted very maturly with what happend though. Eveyone seems to be mad at them, but i am proud of them. They took drivers saftey into play, and ruled that the saftey was more important than the race. I think that was a very mature decision.
Proud? If they cared about driver safety they would have brought the right tire mate.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #75
TransAm
Regular User

Hmm. As many have said, this is a sad day for F1. I switched on halfway through and it took me a while to work out just what the hell was going on.

The fans that threw bottles and beer onto the track should be ashamed of themselves. I'm glad there was not an accident on that corner due to the debris.

Reubens did well not to smack Michael for pushing him off the track after MS's pitstop, but that's the type of driving we have come to expect from our German friend...

As for the consequential impact upon Michelin sales in the USA, a lot of Americans boycott French products already because of the lack of support in Iraq.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote