Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #91
chest3r
Regular User

I don't know if I can wait so long for a new M3 I would very happy just to see the new E90 coupé. At least a nice photoshop

And what about the M6 CSL ??? Any news ??? I've read it will be produced but I don't know nothing more.....
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #92
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
all i can say is i'm itching to try out that extra 35hp I think the new S54 is going to tie some people over for the time gap to the M3, but it's going to be blown away by the new V8.
You don't think this 3.5L will go into the E46 do you?

I was wondering that myself.. that would be one hell of a nice upgrade to the E46 M3!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM   #93
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i would love it if they did, but i guess there is a chance.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #94
ZfrkS62
Regular User

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/.../BmwTechnology

Down at the bottom of the page is where the vids are. There are only 3, but they are probably much easier to understand than my rmbling explanations

Vids are:

Adaptive Xenon headlights
Valvetronic
X-drive

enjoy

Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM   #95
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ok, i see it's been about a month since updating this, but i finally have come across something worth updating with.

Z4 Coupe/M Coupe are beginning production in Spartanburg, SC for their June 06 release date. It will be fitted with the S54B32 laying down 255hp. More details will be released in early '06

Motorsport news:

Petronas signs as main sponsor through 2009 for BMWSauberF1. The car will be unveiled in Valencia, Spain Jan. 16/17.

BMW PTG M3 racing program expands into 2006 as the PTG M3's will be running in the GT2 class of the ALMS series under the new S2 rules.
Started in 95, M3's have run to 53 victories through 108 races. This sucess came on Yokohama tires which will be yet again on the cars through the 06 season.

ALMS testing of the M3s starts in January with driver announcements following in the near future.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #96
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ do you have a press login?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #97
ZfrkS62
Regular User

fuck, i forgot about that. no i don't. This stuff gets posted on Centernet which is the opening page for techs to access bulletins and such. I forgot i tried to get into that site once before and couldn't because of that.

i'll edit out the link

Old 11-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #98
ZfrkS62
Regular User

no, i edited out the link. I forgot that you needed one to access that stuff.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 PM   #99
nthfinity
Regular User

thanks for the info about Sauber/Petronas/BMW

im hoping they are top 3 contenders this coming year... with the unfortunate year that BMW had this year in race pace.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #100
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i think i'm going to change this to BMW news since designations seems to take up to much room for when i edit it for updates.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 AM   #101
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Nick Heidfeld has been testing the BMWSauber C24B from the 28th through today (30th)

Day 1 results:

conditions: air- 5-14C track 5-17C, Sunny and dry

28 laps, 128Km

fast lap 1:21.624 (lap 16)
overall fast lap: 1:20.609 by Gary Paffett; McLaren-Mercedes (Michelin)

Morning session went over without a hitch, however engineers called a stop early to the afternoon session after seeing a problem in the data.

Nick: "After an almost 3 month break, i could hardly wait for the first test. The chassis and engine ran flawlessly in the morning session. All the systems were working perfectly. Of course you can tell the difference in performance compared to the V10. That's something you just have to get used to. The positive surprise is that the engine vibrates alot less than i had expected. In the afternoon we had to break off work early when the engineers spotted a problem in the data and told me to switch off the engine. Tomorrow we will resume our programme as planned."

Day 2

Conditions: Sunny and dry, air 5-14C track 5-15C

26 laps, 120Km

fast lap: 1:20.039 (lap 21)
overall fast lap: 1:17.570 Christian Klien; RedBull Cosworth V10 (Michelin)

Continuation of testing BMWSauber C24B w/ P86 V8

In the morning engineers focused on data aquisition runs, particularly for the engine. Work was stopped early in the afternoon due to a fuel rail leak.

No quote from Nick.

What somes next: Engine and systems testing continued

__________________________________________________ __________________

Looks like Mercedes will be running the V8. Which is good because BMW so far is only 1 second off the pace. But if the V10's are 3 seconds up, this is going to be an odd year

So far reliability does seems to be a bit difficult to acheive, but fortunately it doesn't appear to be mechanical.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #102
nthfinity
Regular User

But if the V10's are 3 seconds up, this is going to be an odd year
im 100% sure that Red bull will be using Ferrari V8's... and they may be waiting for the V8 for a while yet... although, im not sure about the backwater teams (red bull II, Minardi, etc.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:13 AM   #103
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I'm not allowed to say how i know this, but the Spartanburg South Carolina plant is starting to gear up to begin production on the E70 X5 due out later this year as a 2007 model. Now, as i have mentioned before, the diesel engine is supposed to come over to this side of the pond in 07 and will be in an SAV. This is apparently what it will make it's debut in (this is speculation now, as nothing was mentioned as to whether this is the case or not). I would guess that the normal engine selections will be availible (4.8, 3.0 and 2.5) to go along with the diesel.

2009 looks to be the year for the next 7 series. April 09 is the likely release date with production beginning in 08.

As of October, another option has come availible for the 7 series: Thermal Imagaing. Now BMW isn't the first to come out with this. GM has had it since i believe 01 in the Cadillacs, however BMW's is a long range imaging device which goes by heat signatures (infra red), rather than light amplification (typical nightvision). BMW's system has a range a few hundred feet further than the GM system, and has a 30 degree view. At 70 mph the range is extended by shrinking the arc to 24 degrees. Still images are displayed in the monitor in the dash. This isn't a real time system, however snapshots are continuously being taken and displayed.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 AM   #104
Shinigami
Regular User

So that's like MB's thermal imaging system in the new S class then?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #105
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinri_Shiogami
So that's like MB's thermal imaging system in the new S class then?
i'm really not sure. our instructor only told us what he knew about it, and i'm not sure of how MB's system works. My guess is, the hardware is made by the same company, and the software is written to interact with the individual brand's systems to make it compatible with the rspective cars.