Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #106
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by Bizi Jones
and the ones encoded with Mpeg2 (for instances Fifth Element) is either being re released (if u bought it already, free trade in) or the movie doesn't require a better codec since BD offers the larger capacity...so I think it is as straight forward as he said...BD-J once its out will pretty much make HDdud version obsolete...in closing, BD owns all
I guess it could be argued that it should have been straight forward to begin with, however the reality was that AVP was blurry and T2 wasn't a whole lot better. This isnt like downloading windows updates where each time they improve the encoding quality and re-mastering process that they send you out a new version. I agree that blu-ray stacks up and ticks all the right boxes so long as the next generation of releases finally start to do it some justice. I just got "The Guardian" which as I understand it is BD-J and encoded with MPEG-4 AVC so I am looking forward to great things when I watch it later.
^ Not a bad movie either.

Don't ask me how I know. ops:
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #107
Bizi Jones
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
however the reality was that AVP was blurry and T2 wasn't a whole lot better.
I am not sure if u r using PowerDVD to play them, but if u r and are seeing these problems, I think u need to make sure that you disable the h.264 support it has, and continue to use CoreAVC, for h.264.

To disabe PowerDVD's useless h.264/AVC codec go to Start->Run and put:

regsvr32 /u "[folder]\VideoFilter\CL264dec.ax"

Where [folder] is the PowerDVD folder for example:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\VideoFilter\CL264dec.ax"

(go to the 1st guide on hdbits)

...otherwise I haven't read about such issues for those titles...
Bizi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #108
Jabba
Regular User

Nope, Santa kindly bought me a Samsung BDP1000 stand alone player for xmas and at the end of the day it makes no difference to me what its "supposed" to be like, if it looks blurry to me then thats the only opinion I am interested in at the end of the day. Having said that "Fantastic Four" looks razor sharp and one of the better blu ray titles that I have seen. Hopefully they will add AVP onto their re-encode/re-release list and make a better job of it this time (IMO)

Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #109
Bizi Jones
Regular User

that's disappointing to hear about the titles....

however, perhaps Santa should have waited a bit more before springing for a 1st gen player at least till the fall

Blu-ray owners waiting for more Java features and highly interactive releases like the recently announced Matrix compilation on HD DVD could be due for a hardware upgrade this winter. VideoBusiness is reporting that the BDA has mandated all hardware launched after October 31 must support BD-J enabled picture-in-picture video playback, 256MB of persistent memory, and (for players with an internet connection) 1GB of memory for downloads. Currently these features aren't required and picture-in-picture support isn't in the PlayStation 3 or Sony's lower priced BDP-S300 that will debut this summer, ahead of the deadline. BD-J support has been sketchy so far, with many players needing upgrades to run titles like The Descent, which was able to do PiP by including two different versions of the movie on one 50GB disc.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #110
ae86_16v
Regular User

that's disappointing to hear about the titles....

however, perhaps Santa should have waited a bit more before springing for a 1st gen player at least till the fall
So wait, it is Jabba's or any other consumer's for that matter, fault because Sony & Co. couldn't get their act together on Blu-Ray? :roll:

Keep in mind, this wasn't a tech issue in terms of glitches or bugs, this is the actual picture quality and encoding used. If it was glitches or bugs, I am more willing to understand because as you say, 1st generation technology. But PQ has no excuse.

That's an excellent way to defend a platform.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #111
Bizi Jones
Regular User

pffff...as with any new CE product there are bound to be start up bugs/issues and 1st gen consumers buying into the format should expect that...and in this case the product has been out for ~ a year now, the consumer should be well aware of what he/she is purchasing...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #112
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Sorry, I edit my response above you.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #113
Bizi Jones
Regular User

well the reviews of the BD-P1200 has been nothing but good...PQ has drastically improved, so my point is that (from what I've read and seen) there was no issues with the mentioned movies (avp, t2), and yes there are some releases which turned out shit...in some instances they are being remastered...and u can't start bashing a format based on one person's opinion, sorry Jabba...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #114
Jabba
Regular User

and u can't start bashing a format based on one person's opinion, sorry Jabba...

OK, I will bash the blu ray version of T2 on two peoples opinions, a few facts and some hard evidence :

"I went and dug out my old "Extreme DVD" edition of the T2 DVD and looked through the booklet, which talks a lot about the restoration process they did a few years ago. In the creation of the new HD master, they squeezed the AR of the film down from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 (16x9) in order to take advantage of the full standard aspect ratio frame, rather than having to letterbox the film, and lose lines of resolution (they scanned it at an resolution of 1920x1080). Secondly, they did DRS, as opposed to DVNR, which is notorious for fucking films up.

Now, keep this in mind--they used DRS, and did a meticulous job of it.

Now look at the screenshot, the one with the terminator in flames. Look at the bottom right, on the T's shoulder. There's a big ass booger looking thing on the screenshot.

You know what this tells me? They used an older (circa 1997) transfer, rather than the newer transfer they created '00-01. You know what this tells me? They're gonna double dip this thing down the road, and release a newer version of the disc, utilizing the newer transfer.

This is crap.

Edit:

Noticed two more errors on that same frame. Look at the right side (our right) of his forehead, above his "eyebrow". There's a dark greenish black spot above the right edge of the eyebrow, and up and to the left is a short, vertical black line."

Yes I admit I am being fussy, but thats the trouble with viewing these things on a 160" screen, you see can easily see the good encodes from the bad ones, where as I am sure they all look great on a computer monitor or something, like I said, I am looking forward to a re-release of T2 sooner rather than later
Old 05-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #115
Bizi Jones
Regular User

yup, i'm sure there will be a Supreme Super Gold Ultimate Pack Fan Collection Addition that will address those issues down the road
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #116
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I had always thought that unless these old movies were shot with high definition digital cameras, it would be pointless to get them on HD-DVD/BluRay. There is only so much remastering you can do to the original..If you are trying to create more pixels you will just get a "blurry" image, especially when shown on a big screen.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #117
Bizi Jones
Regular User

Well the great thing about film is that it's essentially always been the same material so the resolution of 35mm film thirty years ago is basically the same as 35mm film used today.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #118
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
If you are trying to create more pixels you will just get a "blurry" image, especially when shown on a big screen.
Remember though, film doesnt really have any pixels so its still going to be downscaled to the highest HD resolution, what they have got to do though is try and repair all those cracks and scratches often found on the old masters as well as transfer it across to the HD platform at the very highest possible standard..
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #119
Jabba
Regular User

Well the great thing about film is that it's essentially always been the same material so the resolution of 35mm film thirty years ago is basically the same as 35mm film used today.
You beat me to it
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #120
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah I'm aware film is different, but I thought they are still "blowing up" the image from the film negatives aren't they?

What film format(mm) are movies like T2 usually shot with?