Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 09-22-2003, 02:23 PM   #106
st-anger
Regular User

only one word:

U N B E L I E V A B L E

http://fara.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~frohl...Carrera_GT.AVI

IMO this has to be the best video of the year so far!!!
i ´ve seen it now min. 10 times and now i´m off to watch it again, and again, and......
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:01 PM   #107
1zippo1
Regular User

Indeed, very nice video!!!! Thx for posting.

You're really trying to make us jealous because you're gonna drive this beast, aren't you Doesn't matter, I think it's great that someone on JW can share the experience with us.

enjoy it!!!
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:11 PM   #108
st-anger
Regular User

quite impressive video, featuring a Porsche GT3RS, behind the wheel, one of the world`s best Porsche drivers, Frank Stippler.
two laps round the nordschleife and the GP track during a VLN race, some nice chasing while round one and that sound!!!
lap times were 8:45.078 and 8:44.070, not that bad....

http://foto.nurburgring.de/web/video/Frank_Stippler.wmv 70mb file

enjoy...
Porsche 911
Old 09-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #109
st-anger
Regular User

for those of you who are interested, i`ve uploaded the first UK CGT test of the oct. issue of "Autocar"

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289043717
Porsche 911
Old 09-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #110
AlienDB7
Regular User

Very nice video indeed! Hopefully it'll be featured on top gear AND 5th gear next season. Can't wait to see tiff pushing the CGT to the limit.

Thanks st-anger
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #111
Johns
Regular User

that was a sweet vid around the track! thanks
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #112
scubywrxr
Regular User

The carrera gt is the dogs danglies! super cool vid , thanks you lucky devil
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:11 AM   #113
cho_888
Regular User

does any one speak german? can they translate that video for us english folk.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #114
st-anger
Regular User

to celebrate 1000+ views :

some pics from the factory edited "PORSCHE CARRERA GT" brochure, which is kinda rare

and cho, i´ll see what i can do about that translation...
Porsche 911
Old 09-25-2003, 04:17 PM   #115
st-anger
Regular User

the result:

....10 cyl, 612 hp, 0-124mph in 9.9 sec, top speed 205+!!! mph
unbelieveable to get that power on the road, walther röhrl`s able to manage that, and he assisted Porsche with his knowlege as a race driver, that everyone can handle the CGT without getting into real troubles. rohrl:" you`ll have to do some practicing with the clutch pedal, but then the CGT drives just like a 50hp VW Golf, but only for the time, the connection between right foot and brain is ok."
the price 452000€, only 1500 CGT`ll be available, and roumours say all are already sold. ( ...i know +/-300 are left ) but who`s able to buy a CGT ( ...the young guy with the blue shirt and suit sitting in the CGT at IAA ) he says the price is ok:" of course the car isn`t low-priced, but the CGT is just unbelieveable and unique, a car like this won`t come out the next 10 to 20 years in automotive engineering"
the guests at the IAA can only stare at the CGT and admire it: (first girl)" for me this car is a kind of art", second girl:" superb, must be like a dream to have one", guy in the suit: " Porsche`s building the world`s best cars!" the chance of seeing one for real is quite low, so walther röhrl again show us the capabillities og the GT:" pure race cars have the characteristic that they have a high speed, but difficult to handle, and Porsche won`t offer that to the "normal" customers, so our main goal was to keep the characteristics of a race car but on the other hand to make the car driveable for anyone who`s using his brain while driving. (... some tech features we already know...)
the last statement: when you really want to push the CGT to its limit, you need to be a pro driver because of the race car characteristics, and you should always think of what happens when you go "pedal to the metal"...
Porsche 911
Old 09-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #116
st-anger
Regular User

...again, my boys at weissach have done a great job and Porsche Motorsports is now offering the GT3RS-R for private teams:
it`s 1100kg light and`ll have ~445hp
the price`ll be around 300k€

Porsche 911
Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #117
1zippo1
Regular User

Wow, impressive car. I bet that's a real fast car on the track!!

A friend of mine knows some people in the GT world. And he's going to have a drive on the track of Zolder (in the passenger seat off course) in a Porsche 911 996 race version (stripped down...), forgot the exact name of the car, with 600hp. Damn, I envy that guy!!

By the way st-ranger. I like porsches but there has been some argument conserning there policy on electronical safety systems. I've recently read an article where they compared the 911 Carrera with a Corvette and the last one was the most fun on the track. The PSM annihilates any form of provoking oversteer with braking when entering a turn. Shouldn't it have been beter to install a locking diff instead of a PSM that works on the brakes... What's your oppinion about this? I know PSM is safer but it's annoying that it autimatically re-activates when you touch the brakes.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:00 PM   #118
666fast
Regular User

The brochure looks quite nice, you know what would be awesome st. anger? If you sent me the brochure!

Thanks for all the pics and info, I really appreciate knowing all of this before my friends!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #119
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
By the way st-ranger. I like porsches but there has been some argument conserning there policy on electronical safety systems. I've recently read an article where they compared the 911 Carrera with a Corvette and the last one was the most fun on the track. The PSM annihilates any form of provoking oversteer with braking when entering a turn. Shouldn't it have been beter to install a locking diff instead of a PSM that works on the brakes... What's your oppinion about this? I know PSM is safer but it's annoying that it autimatically re-activates when you touch the brakes.
well, it`s their opinion when they say they had more fun in the vette, i won`t…
and that the PSM annihilates any form of oversteer when braking into a turn is kinda new to me...

as far as diff-lock is concerned all Porsches that really need a diff-lock ( e.g. GT2, GT3..) has an asymmetric differential lock that delivers 40% lock under power to improve traction, and 60% lock on overrun to stabilise the car. for those cars PSM isn`t even available.
also the "40 years" anniversary edition is equipped with an extra mechanical rear diff-lock and PSM to improve handling...
but IMO PSM is ( one of ) the best systems, even to drive fast around a track, not only for safety matters.
and when you want a track car, simply don`t order PSM, it`s only standard in the C4, C4S, TT and all 955 modells, but the following report should show you, that i´ve experienced that PSM is quite good for track use.
as i mentioned before i´ve driven a C2 as a company car during my time at weissach, and due to my work in the driveline departement i also had the chance to ride some modells on the test track at weissach, so, luckily, i´ve quite some experience with racing Porsches.

i think everyone is quite familliar with the basic principle of the PSM, so i needn`t explain all the tech. details.
so it doesn`t really depend on what you´ll do with your Porsche, just for showing off or to race around a race track, IMO when PSM is available and you can afford it, take it. don`t get me wrong, if you are looking for a street-legal race car, like a GT2 there`s even no PSM available, it needn`t need it, but this car has other handling characteristics than a C2 or something like that.
with PSM a level of safety can be provided, that´s impossible to achieve by driver skill alone, even for a professional.

tell me if you want to know how PSM is functioning in detail, i won´t explain it at that point...

as zippo mentioned you can turn the PSM off. when you "turn it off," you are taking only the outputs offline. the PSM system is still collecting data from the ABS system, the yaw sensor, the lateral acceleration sensors and the steering wheel position sensor. if you have
PSM off, and the levels of slip are exceeded, and you do not touch the brakes, the car will continue to slide. if you have not exceeded the
levels of slip allowed, and apply the brakes (no matter how hard), PSM will not active its outputs. however, if you have exceeded the levels,
AND apply the brakes (no matter how hard), PSM will activate until the car has regained control or you get off the brakes, at which point PSM stops outputting. PSM assumes that since you hit the brakes that you are not comfortable with the level of sliding and that you want it to help. so concearning PSM and racing, PSM can be a good asset, because it allows you to explore the limits of traction on the first few laps at a new track more confidently. when PSM activates you can feel it, much like you can feel ABS. it will show you where you are losing traction while keeping you on the track if the loss was unintentional. when it engages, it may slow you down where you might not want it to later, i.e., where you really do want more oversteer, but on those first few practice laps, who cares? IMO that has been the "problem" of the test driver zippo is refering. you can actually throttle steer the car quite well with PSM on as long as you are
smooth, the yaw is not excessive, and the corner is fast enough to allow smooth inputs.
so far, so good. since you can turn PSM off, why wouldn’t you want to buy it, even for a car you intend to race? it seems like the best of both worlds. however, remember above where I said that when PSM is off, it is still collecting data and if you hit the brakes when the levels of slip are exceeded, it will intervene. that could be a negative in one racing technique, trail braking, where you are obviously on the brakes and turning. there are two reasons to trail brake, one in which PSM is neutral or even a positive, and one in which it can interfere with the driver’s intention. the first is when you are trail braking to lengthen the straight or to maintain a higher speed through the first part of a turn. in this case, you want the car to stay on its directed path. if things are going as intended, PSM is very unlikely to engage even though you are on the brakes. if it does, it is probably because you lost rear traction in a pretty big way. by engaging it didn’t cost you time since your intention was to slow down anyway and it may have saved you from spinning. the second use of trail braking serves a different purpose. if you are trail braking to induce some oversteer intentionally to tighten the corner, PSM could interfere in the same way as when it is on and you lift to oversteer.
Porsche wanted the car to perform like a Porsche not a family saloon, so the PSM has been designed for minimal intrusion, its limits are really high and you can reach the same lateral g-force number with the system in or out on a steady state cornering circle. thus, if you are a good driver, you can keep the power on in a drift and even adjust the car’s attitude on power in a corner without interference. but if you lift off suddenly or brake, and the car is in danger of destabilizing, the system will reach out and save you.
but the best argument is yet to come, the difference is small around the Nurburgring for a skilled test driver. only within one second a lap in fact. this is the way the car is made. if you are smooth, there is no interference from the system. but if you are ragged, the system will be cutting in all the time to stabilize the car, so an aggressive driver will be slower with the system on.

i hope this answers some of your questions zippo...

as always, if there are any questions left, don`t hesitate to ask
Porsche 911
Old 09-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #120
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
The brochure looks quite nice, you know what would be awesome st. anger? If you sent me the brochure!

Thanks for all the pics and info, I really appreciate knowing all of this before my friends!
i think there are some around on e-bay, the only problem, the price: 200$ :shock:
so if money is not the problem for one of you guys, buy one it`s worth some money
Porsche 911