Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
MIHALS
Regular User

Default got iPod? share! finally got it

Hi, I just decided to buy a new 60GB iPod video tomoro and would like to know, how are you - existing owners happy with any iPod. How lasts your battery? the factory info about the battery lasting is always somewhere else, than reality, so I'd like to know this. how sensitive is it to shakes and other "bumps"? I definitelly will buy some tough cover for it as it's a HDD player...

please, share as much, as you can! what you like about it, what not etc...

THANX!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Man, I bought my iPod nano a couple of months ago, and I have to say its probably my single best investment I've ever made (actually, its tied in first place with my digital camera)... I absolutely LOVE it

Because the nano is flash based, its completely prone to shakes, but as for the iPod Video, I can't say. But I'm guessing it'll withstand pretty harsh jerks IMO.

As you pointed out, Apple's statements on battery life is on the optimistic side, but hell, as long as you don't fiddle around with the controls too much (because the bright back-light turns on), it should provide you with more than enough listening pleasure. And besides, why is it so hard to recharge the damn thing anyway...

Pretty much the only down-side to my nano is its sensitivity to scratches. But again, getting a cover will remedy this problem (althought I think the normal iPod is much more scratch risistant anyway... I wouldn't worry about that too much).

If you go for the black one (which I suspect you are), you have to be at least 2x as careful, because any scratches will be much more visible, as will be fingerprints, blemishes, etc....

For now, thats all I can think of.... but overall, I salute you on your purchase! ALL THE BEST, AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

Now go out there, and steal as much music and as many videos as you can MAKE ME PROUD!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

I currently am using the iPod Nano, and my brother has the iPod Video 60GB. Both are great! Definitely get a silicon skin or a cover for them, the chrome cover in the back plate gets scratched really easily.

It has a fairly good skip free feature on the HD version, as far as the Nano, it is completely skip free, unless the file is corrupted.

Battery life for me, was over rated by Apple. Usually I think the consensus is that you'll get around 2/3 of intended battery life. That is because when you skip songs, it uses more battery, when you use the Equalizer it uses more battery, when you turn on the screen is uses more battery, etc, etc, etc. You could see the trend.

Also when you watch movies/videos it uses A LOT of batteries .

If you do not have a way to hook it up into your car, I would stay away from FM transmitters. They just aren't that good, I use the old cassette tape way. Get a quality one, and spend the extra money (few extra bucks).

The best way of course is to intergrated into your car, but that is a bit more expensive and depending on how new your car is, it might not even have that capability.

Enjoy!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Evo
Regular User

I bought 60GB iPod video couple of weeks back.. Let me tell you it's a bit frustrating to get the music into the thing.. I even asked a fellow Jabba World member for help ( GIS ) but he was not able to.. a week latter I figured it out and now I can't stop using it.. I am thinking of installing that wire where you plug your IPOD to your car and use your sterio to browse your music albums..

You can't go wrong with an IPOD.. it's one of the things that will go down in history for changing the way we liston to music.. I think.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
mendocino
Regular User

I'm having a Ipod 3G 20gigs for a year now and I'm pretty pleased with it. As I only use it in my car and as external HDD so I coudn't tell much about battery life. Still the best thing for me is the fact that you have your whole mp3's with you and you still have some space to make a backup of your pictures and mails...
be carefull tough the cover is very sensitive to scratches...
ho, and I just bought a shuffle for sport, the Ipod is still a bit on the big size for that.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
MIHALS
Regular User

guys, you made me now sleepless and I just can't wait till tomoro

another question is: how is the battery recharging? I know that older generations had power adapter, but 5th gen has nothing as included accesory. so the only way is by USB 2.0? that's quite fucked... I won't be taking my laptop anywhere just because of recharging iPod (probably I didn't understand properly...)

anyway, with music I have a lot of experience - started with the cheapest walkman, then walkman ShockWave from Panasonic (that was a machine ), then my first CD walkman from Thomson, then mp3 CD walkman Sony, then mp3 player 128MB internal and with slot for CF cards (same as my camera uses), so I used to have 1GB of music. now I'm too lazy to upload albums every morning before leaving to work, so I decided to make a Proper desicion
Old 01-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
mendocino
Regular User

charging is only via firewire or usb2.0 in the 5th gen. (only usb cable is given in the box tough) Or you can buy a power adaptor (with a usb or firewire plug).

EDIT: sorry my mistake, 5th gen Ipod only support USB2, no firewire in those... ops:
and yes the only usefull accesory in the box is that usb 2 cable. When I bough my 3rd gen I received 2 cables, a power adaptor and a dock! But that"s just the new apple policy... that's how they manage to keep the same price for the Ipod for years... and that's what increased their action from 50% this year... :roll:
Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
mendocino
Regular User

Evo => actually you can't go wrong whith anything apple mades...
Ipod interface in cars are still on the expensive size... I'd buy a standard autoradio with a aux mini-jack plug (100 euros here) and a dicreet 12V charger...

and yes in case you don't see it coming, I'm a apple user... both music and computers...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
DeMoN
Regular User

I dont listen to music all that mutch cuz when Im on my car, I rather hear the engine/muffler noise and when I am at my room, im doing hw n stuff, but when I bought the nano for my brother, I almos bought one based on its looks lol. I heard its good Mp3 no wonder everyone got one.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

IPODS are ghey!
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
MIHALS
Regular User

yep dani, I'll be first customer at store tomoro

I'll send some pics to this topic tomoro
Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Toronto
Regular User

i just have a 20G 4th gen, the battery life isn't as apple says, take about 4 hours off and your about right.

note: my friend who has the video says the battery life is really low if you are watching a full movie (long car trips)
Old 01-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
MIHALS
Regular User

in ipod forum they say just 2-3 hours

but I take videos just as a bonus in it, so some TG tests and short funny vids and adds will live in my ipod, no long movies
Old 01-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #14
crazidude
Regular User

Other than the fact that it scratches quite easily, there isn't anything significantly wrong with it. Sound quality might be an issue with you if you have really good headphones and very sensitive ears. Also, like what others have said the battery life is a little on the optimistic side. Mine used to last about 8 hours max, but now its at around 6ish. But it really depends on how much you're fiddling with the controlsl, how lound you listen to your music and how much of the ipod you actually filled up.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #15
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by mendocino
charging is only via firewire or usb2.0 in the 5th gen. (only usb cable is given in the box tough) Or you can buy a power adaptor (with a usb or firewire plug).

EDIT: sorry my mistake, 5th gen Ipod only support USB2, no firewire in those... ops:
and yes the only usefull accesory in the box is that usb 2 cable. When I bough my 3rd gen I received 2 cables, a power adaptor and a dock! But that"s just the new apple policy... that's how they manage to keep the same price for the Ipod for years... and that's what increased their action from 50% this year... :roll:
Correct, you must charge it either via USB Port on your computer or shell out $30 USD to get the charger, kind of bullshit if you ask me.

The accessories is another market all together, you could spend a good chunk of change there.

Enjoy!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote