Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
ashsimmonds
Regular User

Unhappy Price of cars around the world

I've often sat there thinking about the prices of cars - most of the people I chat online with are Aussie, US, or UK, and so I generally know pretty well the price of cars in each region. But I wanted to know more, so I went through a bunch of the worldwide Porsche 997 GT2 pages to check out prices from around the world. Real eye-opening stuff!

Full article here (with links to each reference page etc):
---> http://aussieexotics.com/2008/01/03/...ound-the-world

And here's the basic stats in $AUD at current exchange rates:
$218k - US
$269k - Canada
$270k - Japan
$291k - UK
$299k - Switzerland
$316k - Germany
$319k - France
$320k - Italy
$347k - Brunei
$349k - Spain
$425k - Australia
$465k - China
$504k - Hong Kong
$594k - Malaysia
$920k - Denmark
Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
ashsimmonds
Regular User

As far as the whacked out Denmark price goes, that is legitimate!

I've been googling and it seems Danes get taxed 180% of the car price to put a license plate on it!!!

Just google Denmark car taxes to look stuff up yourself and be amazed!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
TT
Regular User

Some countries have some insane taxes on cars!!! In switzerland we're still pretty lucky I guess...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
htfaber
Regular User

In Holland the car would be AUD$ 442.668.

Pretty much considering it only has to cross one border. One the other hand, that didn't stop the Danes from putting an outrageous pricetag on it!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
will2509
Regular User

Whats with this shit?
The price in Germany where they are made is almost 50% more than in the US - where they have to ship it!
My car BMW 335i cost me $61,500 here in the UAE and it starts at $30,000 in the US even though we are closer to Germany than the US... what gives? And hey there are no friggin taxes here in the UAE!!
btw I am sure that Singapore and Indonesia would be even more expensive than those shown on the list above - Indonesia charges 300% tax on supercars and Singapore is just mental.
Will
will2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
vexor
Regular User

what ticks me off is that the CDN dollar is exactly the same as the american (for some time now) and yet auto manufacturers are still making us pay on average $10,000 more on normal everyday cars. How slow is the auto industry to react to current finances?

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by will2509 View Post
Whats with this shit?
The price in Germany where they are made is almost 50% more than in the US - where they have to ship it!
My car BMW 335i cost me $61,500 here in the UAE and it starts at $30,000 in the US even though we are closer to Germany than the US... what gives? And hey there are no friggin taxes here in the UAE!!
btw I am sure that Singapore and Indonesia would be even more expensive than those shown on the list above - Indonesia charges 300% tax on supercars and Singapore is just mental.
Will
You forget local taxes. Shipping costs aren't really the main issue...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Skaala
Regular User

the 997 GT2 in Norway is $USD 500k
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
seksy
Regular User

Originally Posted by vexor View Post
what ticks me off is that the CDN dollar is exactly the same as the american (for some time now) and yet auto manufacturers are still making us pay on average $10,000 more on normal everyday cars. How slow is the auto industry to react to current finances?
The auto manufacturer's can't really do anything since Canadian taxes on automotive vehicles are significantly higher than the United States. Import fees, etc.... Plus certain manufacturer's in Canada are lowering their prices with promotions to coup with the rising dollar. They're doing their best.
seksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
rkplover
Regular User

Finland is missing from the list. I'm sure it would make the list, but GT2 is not imporeted, yet.
rkplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
ashsimmonds
Regular User

Originally Posted by rkplover View Post
Finland is missing from the list. I'm sure it would make the list, but GT2 is not imporeted, yet.
Yup, those "missing" from the list either don't have a price to refer to, or the car isn't available there at the moment.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Jasoos
Regular User

I have an idea: we can make one of our own, covering more countries, and maybe using a car that is more widely available, to see how developing countries compare (which were not included in the survey)
Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
ashsimmonds
Regular User

Go for it. I chose the GT2 as it's the latest and greatest from Porsche (and I don't care about crappy cars :p ), and they have a website which is standard across the world.

If you go to the page I originally linked to, there are links to every different version of the GT2 page on every Porsche site across the globe, and they are all basically identical.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Jasoos
Regular User

I know, but in Fiji (maybe even all South Pacific Islands) there is no Porsche dealer, so Porsche may be out.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
rkplover
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jasoos View Post
I have an idea: we can make one of our own, covering more countries, and maybe using a car that is more widely available, to see how developing countries compare (which were not included in the survey)
That was done already not so long ago. Not sure the search results are valid though. But ofcourse prices have changed so they can be compared again.

This was the older one, but I remember there was another one later. They are not complete. http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...ht=prices+cars
rkplover is offline   Reply With Quote