Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
ferrari550
Regular User

Default Kovalainen to replace Villeneuve

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=142450

Bad new for the Canadian but not a big surprise in my mind.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

Too bad for Jacques - I hope he gets picked up by another team somehow. IMO he just needed a better car to gain confidence again. Either way I have a feeling F1 in Canada will lose some fans.
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

This is not confirmed yet but I hope that, if it's true, they will pay the price for not respecting the contract they have with Villeneuve.
As a result, it will be the end of Villeneuve carrer in F1 Not really brillant for an ex-world Champion Too bad he wasted so much years with BAR ...
Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
gucom
Regular User

hmm to be honest, after having been a fan of him for a long time because of his driving style, the last couple of years i got sort of tired of him...lots of talking, few results, stupid ****-ups...and i'd be happy if kovalainen got a seat in F1
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
hmm to be honest, after having been a fan of him for a long time because of his driving style, the last couple of years i got sort of tired of him...lots of talking, few results, stupid ****-ups...and i'd be happy if kovalainen got a seat in F1
I am not against this point of view, he obviously isn't as good as he was but he has a contract so ... they have to pay But indeed Kovalainen deserve a place in F1
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

I never was a fan of JV so I cant say I am heartbroken. But he did an awesome job in 1996 when he took pole on his first race and nearly won it. Adios

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 AM   #7
phantomfocus
Regular User

If this is true, I am for it 100%. I am a supporter of Kovalainen, and truly believe in his abilities. If he does join F1, he would be the second of a possible three drivers to join the top ranks from the GP2 series. (Rosberg, Kovalainen, and a possible Scott Speed) each finishing 1st - 3rd in the championship respectivly. As for Villeneuve, he never really should have come back to F1. The writing was on the wall when he filled in at Renault last season. He only had one impressive moment in 05' at that was his save in Eau Rouge! It was absolutly fantastic.

Go Kovalainen, and good luck BMW!
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
taygunho
Regular User

I am not a fan of both of them but it is good to hear Kovalainen will come to F1. I don't like JV. He was slower than massa last year. He was slow in renault two years ago. But it is interesting that a world champion lost his place to young kid!
Old 11-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
phantomfocus
Regular User

Ronin005
and as for the scott speed comment someone made, that sob better suck Mateschitz dicks as if it wasnt for Red Bull wanting a american driver in F1 Speed wouldnt have his foot in the door.
I wasn't aware that Speed ever did anything to justify why he doesn't deserve an opportunity. Last time I checked it usually takes someone with deep pockets in order for a young kid to show his stuff. I doesn't matter who it is, or where they came from. You either need backing from a corporate sponser, or you've got a famous dad like Rosberg to help you out.
Either way, all the money in the world doesn't garuntee results, you still have to produce. I would say all three (Heikki, Nico, and Speed) have proved they are worth taking a chance on. But most important of all, they don't need to impress somebody like you or me, but the person writing the checks.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
LotusGT1
Regular User

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34626

Jacques Villeneuve has been confirmed as Nick Heidfeld's team-mate at BMW for 2006.

Thursday's news ends weeks of speculation over the future of the Canadian, who has claimed all along that his contract with Sauber was valid, despite the team's takeover by BMW.

But BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen said that the 1997 world champion earned the German manufacturers' approval after putting in a strong finish to the year.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
blinkmeat
Regular User

Awesome - Woohoo Jacques

Jeeze he's got some proving to do - no more excuses
Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 AM   #12
LotusGT1
Regular User

Jacques is a stuck up POS being way too arrogant while not incredibly talented.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Awesome - Woohoo Jacques

Jeeze he's got some proving to do - no more excuses
hasn't that been the last two years?

the guy just hasnt really delivered in some time... where Massa was consistantly qualifying better, and having a better race... there isnt really a good excuse when they are driving the same car... not unlike Barichello's performance this year was rediculous, especially concidering MS's qualifying, and race pace.

its definately nice to have a guy who is from North America in F1... but at the price of finishing in the bottom 5? wiht a car that can finish top 10 easily...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
blinkmeat
Regular User

Top 10 last year was a tough assignment on any day - like I said above - he just needed a better car... BMW should be pretty damn compeditive. It'll be nice to see Jacques have to prove himself once and for all... that is; being with a team thats not starting out 8)