Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
sheruken
Regular User

Default Message Boards / Forums for Local Network??

HEy all, I am back with another question!!
I need to know if there's a way to have a message board / forums for local network. We friends in the area share the same local ISP, which is LAN based. And one of the friends has hosted a 320GB Local FTPserver for file sharing and stuff, mostly we dump and share all the "cool" stuff that we have thru CuteFTP etc. We are about 25 to 30 of us that are actively using this server. Its a huge hastle just to talk we have to make notepad / wordpad files and upload it there in a folder (everytime we have to make a new file as he (the server admin) has not given renaming / overwriting ability to everyone. It'd be nice to have a simple msg board kinda system, so all the members can post comments etc. Remember I said simple so even the most average system would do. All I want to know if there is a program or anything thru which we can set up a forum for talking and stuff on the local network?

Let me know, Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
igeorge

simple
on one of the computers in the group (preferably one that is on 24/7)
install either IIS or apache web server
install php
install mysql
install phpbb

now you have a forum