Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 03-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #781
yg60m
Regular User

hope this helps a bit, sorry i´m in a hurry so plz don´t be too strict
Don't worry we won't be st-anger Thank you to answer our question despite being so busy
Old 03-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #782
coombsie66
Regular User

Cheers St-anger, i presume that although the non-drilled rotors are better at conducting heat away form the pads the drilled rotors allow for more passages for the air to flo through, therefore cooling them more effectively than solids.
Like you say they do look good as well!
Thankyou for taking the time out of your busy schedule! i bet you enjoy every miniute of it tho!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #783
schnell318
Regular User

Thanks for the answer on the brake rotors St-anger, can maybe you or someone else scan that article on Sport Auto about the supercars´ technology??
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #784
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by schnell318
can maybe you or someone else scan that article on Sport Auto about the supercars´ technology??
tomorrow....
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #785
graywolf624
Regular User

the pads the drilled rotors allow for more passages for the air to flo through, therefore cooling them more effectively than solids.
Very slightly. The holes actually flow extremely small amounts of air. However, due to the dust that gets stuck in the holes your better off from a racing standpoint with the solid ventilated disks. You want ventilated rotors for the airflow. Centrifigal pump. The less mass leads to less heat pulled away from the pads. On a street car this is less important because you can over rotor the car.. Decreasing mass of the rotors on a race car is a bad idea.(well unless your running a drag car) In a street car it can be benefitial.

As st-anger said.. wet braking and looks mainly. Wet braking it works like you would a tire. Smaller tire=better wet braking/dirt handling. Smaller brake pad area=better wet braking/dirt handling(degauze effect as well).

I do have a question for st-anger. I have been hearing alot of arguements with some local engineers on who actually makes porsche car brakes. Some people say Brembo, some say shw, some say porsche in house. Which one is it? Also theres a rumour that they are cast in versus simply drilled. I understand it is prohibitavly expensive to cast such a thing with holes, so I wonder if this is true?
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #786
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Wow this is some great info, thanks st-anger and graywolf
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #787
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
the pads the drilled rotors allow for more passages for the air to flo through, therefore cooling them more effectively than solids.
Very slightly. The holes actually flow extremely small amounts of air. However, due to the dust that gets stuck in the holes your better off from a racing standpoint with the solid ventilated disks. You want ventilated rotors for the airflow. Centrifigal pump. The less mass leads to less heat pulled away from the pads. On a street car this is less important because you can over rotor the car.. Decreasing mass of the rotors on a race car is a bad idea.(well unless your running a drag car) In a street car it can be benefitial.

As st-anger said.. wet braking and looks mainly. Wet braking it works like you would a tire. Smaller tire=better wet braking/dirt handling. Smaller brake pad area=better wet braking/dirt handling(degauze effect as well).

I do have a question for st-anger. I have been hearing alot of arguements with some local engineers on who actually makes porsche car brakes. Some people say Brembo, some say shw, some say porsche in house. Which one is it? Also theres a rumour that they are cast in versus simply drilled. I understand it is prohibitavly expensive to cast such a thing with holes, so I wonder if this is true?
Brembo has been the exclusive supplier of brake calipers and components to Porsche for decades now, I think since 1960 or so…
PAG isn´t manufacturing brakes for their street cars, it´s all outsourced, just to name some other companies, ´cause not only Brembo does all the work, e.g. the brake disc casting for the Cayenne models are from “Intermet”, PCCB rotors for the Carrera GT, GT3, GT2,… are from “SGL Carbon Wiesbaden”

…true
Porsche 911
Old 03-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #788
st-anger
Regular User

sorry, not the best quality, i know, but well....hope you like it anyway...
Porsche 911
Old 03-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #789
Tomerville
Regular User

Thanks St-anger. Because of the Euro soaring and the USD sucking, will the price of the 997s dramatically increase? We are going to the dealer on monday anyway so im happy

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:42 PM   #790
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Great report... Thanks st-anger! The only problem is that I don't speak german... but the pics are great anyway.
yep, i know ops: , but i mainly uploaded it for my good old friend zippo who asked for it and he speaks a bit german too, but sorry again, not everything is english only...

i´d love to give you a translation, but i´m afraid i won´t have the time for it, we´ll see, maybe ´till sunday...

S.Tom...puhhh, no idea, ask the marketing freaks, i´m technician
Porsche 911
Old 03-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #791
graywolf624
Regular User

Nothing like an article in german to remind me of how rusty my german is.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #792
gucom
Regular User

Nothing like an article in german to remind me of how rusty my german is.
glad im paying attention at school thanks for the scan, those ppl know how to make pics of supercars
Dont like the CGT in yellow as much as i like it in silver, in these colors i find the Zonda the best looking
Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM   #793
st-anger
Regular User

i won´t promise too much, but it´s been a while since the last real special related to Porsche Carrera GT here on JW so frequently check "Pn" there´s something comming.......soon

not that big like "CGT report" from last year, but definitely a very very nice and, of course ultra rare >JW first< thing directly from the EZW...

be patient...
Porsche 911
Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #794
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

That makes me want to cry
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #795
HoboPie
Regular User

Can anyone who speaks even a little german give a little light on the article?Is it pure tech stats? do they compare them in any sense(even offhand comments)? Do they comment on the car capabilities outside the pure numbers they post?

Anything about it all would be great.