Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #76
redbaron
Regular User

I also feel bad for Gronholm, however this makes the season more interesting. It is clear the Focus is the best car, but has still some small problems. The Xsara is reliable, but there isn't any development on it anymore. So I think Gronholm will catch up very soon.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #77
Daggernite
Regular User

^^^ yeah in regards to what you just said with the cars, I think its basically, will loebs consistant driving be enough to keep him in front, or will Gronholms faster yet more error -matic (a word?) pace be enough?
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #78
redbaron
Regular User

Some WRC news to bring this thread back to life:

Subaru have confirmed that Petter Solberg has re-signed with the team for the next three seasons.
The Subaru World Rally Team announced today that an agreement between the team and their number one driver - Petter Solberg - had been inked today. The deal will extend the Norwegian in an Impreza World Rally Car until 2009. Though reports of the deal had been leaked to the media late last week, the final confirmation had not occurred until today.

Solberg and co-driver Phil Mills joined the team in 2000, and since, the duo has captured 13 FIA WRC World Rally Championship rally victories, 30 podium finishes, and the 2003 drivers' championship.

"We're delighted that Petter will remain at Subaru, it is great news for the team," Subaru World Rally Team managing director Richard Taylor said. "Over the past six seasons we've developed a very strong relationship with Petter and he has become a great ambassador for Subaru and the sport in general.

"Well, first of all the aim is to win - that's the main thing," Solberg said after the deal had been reached. "That's what I want and the team wants too. Okay, it's been a difficult situation recently and we haven't won as much as we want, but I've seen the plan and the strategy and how things are going to work out. That's why I'm feeling very positive about signing for Subaru again - I know that they have always been in the top of this sport and they will be back at the top and start to win rallies again very soon. It is a difficult situation at the moment but that's how it is sometimes, there are ups and downs and when things are going badly it's very easy to run away, but that's not me. I want to stay and get back to the top again with the people I was on top with before."
:arrow: http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...841633,00.html

Mitsubishi to return in M2 category in 2007?

Mitsubishi could once again have a permanent presence in the FIA World Rally Championship in 2007, following news that the Rugby-based operation is in the process of putting together a deal that will see them compete in the Manufacturer 2 category next year.

Although nothing has been confirmed as yet, Crash.net has learnt that an announcement could be made in the next few weeks.

Thus far this season, the Lancer WRC has been seen in only occasional WRC events, with Gigi Galli competing in the car in Monte Carlo and Sweden, and Daniel Carlsson joining the Italian on the latter event. Jussi Valimaki meanwhile was in action most recently with a Lancer, taking in the events in Sardinia and Greece, where he finished fifth and ninth overall respectively. At the weekend the Lancer WRC05's were also out in action on the Donegal International Rally, a round of the Irish Tarmac championship, where Andrew Nesbitt and Mark Higgins dominated proceedings eventually bringing the cars home in first and second places respectively.

"The Mitsubishi team hopes that its impressive performance in Donegal will herald the start of a series of outings for its Lancer WRCs in Ireland, UK and Europe during the remainder of this year," said the team in their Donegal International Rally press release. "It is also in the process of securing a deal which will see Mitsubishi competing as a Manufacturer 2 team in the 2007 World Rally Championship."
:arrow: http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Mit...~id~132380.htm

In the competative Irish championship the Mitsubishi Lancer showed to be a winning car. At the 2006 Donegal International Rally in Ireland a privateer team with two Lancer WRC05s finished first and second. Just take a look at the results to see there were enough WRC competators

Results
1 Andrew Nesbitt/James O'Brien (Mitsubishi Lancer WRC) 02:32:12
2 Mark Higgins/Rory Kennedy (Mitsubishi Lancer WRC) 02:32:38
3 Gareth MacHale/Paul Nagle (Ford Focus WRC) 0207
4 Derek McGarrity/Chris Patterson (Subaru Impreza WRC) 0226
5 Eamon Boland/Francis Regan (Ford Focus WRC) 02:35:28
6 Eugene Donnelly/Paul Kiely (Toyota Corolla WRC) 02:36:29
7 Austin MacHale/Brian Murphy (Ford Focus WRC) 02:36:51
8 Paul Harris/Eugene O Donnell (Toyota Corolla WRC) 02:39:19
9 Patrick Elliott/Paul Goodman (Subaru Impreza WRC) 02:39:45
10 Stephen Murphy/Michael J Morrissey (Subaru Impreza WRC) 02:42:29

:arrow: http://www.irish-rallying.com/articl...=051214/172614
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #79
inso
Regular User

http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=0&stid=5509 some pics of the new focus rally car
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #80
spanky
Regular User

Cool pics thanks Ronin! 8)
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #81
c0wb0y007
Regular User

Nice pictures. I saw a coverage of the rally lats night, good action and nice surroundings as well. Unfortunetaly you can't be at two places at the same time. Guess it's worth paying a visit as well, it's not far from where I live.

Do you have any info about the photographer ? There are a few photographers who cover the VLN-races who go there as well. But it looks it has been a while since they updated their website.

Thanks for sharing these Ronin !!! Great work !!!

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #82
redbaron
Regular User

This is really ridiculous, I still remember the WRC guys driving around in a polo shirt at hot days a couple of years ago....
Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #83
redbaron
Regular User

:arrow: http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...904069,00.html

Loeb Breaks Arm :

World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb is reported to have fractured an
upper arm in four places following a mountain bike accident near his
home.
This disaster has come at a very bad moment, two weeks before the
start of Rally of Turkey, where he stood a strong chance of being
crowned world champion for the third successive time.
Urgent talks are being held by the Total Kronos Citroen management
team to select a driver to replace Loeb for Rally Turkey, and to
formulate contingency plans thereafter. More news to follow as we
get it.
The championship could become very interesting if Loeb misses a couple of rallies.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #84
yg60m
Regular User

He offer the title to Gronholm on a silver plate IMO ...
Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #85
redbaron
Regular User

http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...906753,00.html

McRae in for Loeb
Former Citroen driver Colin McRae has been confirmed as replacement for Sebastien Loeb at the Kronos Total Citroen team for next week's Rally of Turkey. McRae will assume the role of number one driver as the team aims for the manufacturer's championship.

Team boss Marc Van Dalen and Citroen's Guy Frequelin spent considerable time assessing the best options for the team, targeting both the manufacturers and drivers race. According to a team statement, McRae is in complete understanding regarding his role within the team. He has pledged to put maximum effort behind the team's aims.
He will be partnered by regular co-driver Nicky Grist. McRae drove for Citroen in 2003 and so is familiar with the Xsara WRC, if not the team which will be running it.
Good to see McRae back again
Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #86
TopGearNL
Regular User

Well never know what to expect for McRae to be honest, Gardemeister is also good though !
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #87
Daggernite
Regular User

Well I dont know if this has been mentioned on JW yet, but I firguired if it had then it would have been in this event.

Its become official that valentino Rossi will be competing in this years new zealand Rally. He will be using chris atkinsons old car he used in Germany. He is going into it privatly with Prodrive. What does everybody think?

He had a quick few stages in Rally GB in 2002 before he crashed out, will it be the sam story?

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/rally/new...to983145.shtml
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #88
TopGearNL
Regular User

Its a joke, the man should stick to 2 wheels, thats where he's best!

I reckon he will go out again on the first stage...
Old 10-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #89
redbaron
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Its a joke, the man should stick to 2 wheels, thats where he's best!

I reckon he will go out again on the first stage...
Rossi also drives the Monza rally every year. I thought he even won it once and he is always competative. The 'out' in the first stage of the rally of GB a couple of years ago was just bad luck...
Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #90
Mattk
Regular User

Rossi is actually not bad on four-wheels. He's been talking about going to F1 for a long time (not that that's ever going to happen).

McCrae back in rally would be interesting.