Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Article: Mean Girls Start Young

So, chicks can start out being a B, before they can actually spell it...hahah

http://tinyurl.com/7re4s
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
DeMoN
Regular User

Cant see anything in there without logging in...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
crowngroup

works here

stan is a misogynist
Old 05-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
works here

stan is a misogynist
had to look that word up ops:

link works here also

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
StanAE86
Regular User

Study: Meanness in Girls Can Start at 3
By Associated Press
Fri May 6, 5:33 PM

SALT LAKE CITY - Meanness in girls can start when they still are toddlers, a Brigham Young University study found. It found that girls as young as 3 or 4 will use manipulation and peer pressure to get what they want.

"It could range from leaving someone out to telling their friends not to play with someone to saying, 'I'm not going to invite you to my birthday party,'" said Craig Hart, study co-author and professor of marriage, family and human development at BYU. "Some kids are really adept at being mean and nasty."

They regularly exclude others and threaten to withdraw friendship when they don't get their way.

The "mean girls" are highly liked by some and strongly disliked by others. They are socially skilled and popular but can be manipulative and subversive if necessary. They are feared as well as respected.

The study is the first to link relational aggression and social status in preschoolers. It appears in the current issue of the journal Early Education and Development. David Nelson and Clyde Robinson of BYU are the other authors.

Researchers have long known that adolescents, particularly girls, engage in this sort of behavior, called relational aggression, to maintain their social status.

In fact, a number of books and movies have come out recently exploring this phenomenon, including the best-selling "Queen Bees and Wannabes" and the movie "Mean Girls."

"But it is striking that these aggressive strategies are already apparent ... in preschool," Nelson said. "Preschoolers appear to be more sophisticated in their knowledge of social behaviors than credit is typically given them."

Hart said other research has found that about 17 percent to 20 percent of preschool and school-age girls display such behavior. It also shows up in boys, but much less frequently.

"The typical mantra is that boys are more aggressive than girls, but in the last decade we've learned that girls can be just as aggressive as boys, just in different ways," he said.

The researchers asked 328 preschool children to rate their peers.

They asked which children were most likely to start fights, which were most popular and which were most physically aggressive-

The surveys found that even in preschool, a social hierarchy exists.

"You have popular kids, you have average kids, and you have kids (whom) others don't like to play with. Then there are some kids who just fly below the radar," Hart said.

Other research at BYU has shown that physically and relationally aggressive children are more likely to have parents who discipline with psychological control and manipulation, withdrawing love, avoiding eye contact and laying guilt trips on the kids.

"With relational aggression, we are early on in trying to tease apart these relationships," Hart said.

One thing researchers do know is that childhood slights can have lasting impacts.

Hart said the study may help teachers and parents key into relational aggression and the psychological and emotional trauma it can cause. Just as they do with physical aggression, adults need to monitor such behavior and help children recognize the harm it can cause.

"We've done studies showing that reasoning with children, not just one time but taking lots of opportunities to reason with them about how their behavior is affecting others, can help diminish it," Hart said.

------------------

misogynist: person who hates females.

HEY HEY....not me. But I am a pervert.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
gtx28
Regular User

Other research at BYU has shown that physically and relationally aggressive children are more likely to have parents who discipline with psychological control and manipulation, withdrawing love, avoiding eye contact and laying guilt trips on the kids.
Very interesting, so i guess there is something to traditional forms of discupline. Ironic to find it takes a study like this to prove what many people know already.
gtx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:55 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

<== flew below the radar in preschool

come to think of it, i flew below the radar all through school

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gtx28
Very interesting, so i guess there is something to traditional forms of discupline. Ironic to find it takes a study like this to prove what many people know already.
Interesting isn't it?

For the record, none of the many neices, cousins or sisters I have are manipulative nasty bitches... - and all were not spared the rod when they were growing up.

Looks like you have be harsh to be kind - tough love is the way to go - spare the rod spoil the child - all turned out to be true.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

With this day and age...it drives me crazy that people say spanking is child abuse. I've seen kids that have absolutely no respect for their parents...shocking. Although I can't say that if I was spanked while a child, I would be any different today, but the fear of a spanking kept me from doing something bad...or at least, making sure I wouldn't get caught.

I think they need spanking in school and hard labor in prison. But what do I know...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
<== flew below the radar in preschool

come to think of it, i flew below the radar all through school
same here