Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
midax
Regular User

Default Help the war against the cancer with your PC!

It's not a joke or something... I'm extremely serious!

It it a project like seti@home but I think that this is more important and realistic than that.
All what you need to do is download a little program and make it running in background on your pc. Sometime the program will try to connect to internet to download a new working unit. And most important thing, the program will work to find a real cure against the cancer.
All the results will be sent to their database and then studied for possible solutions.
And to see how fast is running our PC they organize all in simple statistics, it's also possible to create teams and join in the preferred.

I'm in this program since october, when I found it, if you don't believe me just take a look to my statistics page: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...E4D&ord=POINTS
I'm in a team yet, scroll down the page to find my nick.

Here: http://www.grid.org/home.htm you will find more detailed informations than me and my bad english can give you.

As I said before I'm running this program and if a real cure will be found I've given my little contribute!
midax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Zonda11
Regular User

We should start a Jabbas Team....I would run it on at least 1 of my PCs.

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 AM   #3
midax
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
There are things like that all over the world, many different projects.

I'm currently doing rc5-72, about cracking a 72bit encrypted key the hard way. It's usefull when you look at it from the point of safetyfeatures encryption gives you.
well... with all the respect for you and for that program I think that the research against the cancer is more important than everything...
Everyone is free to join in the program he want but I've read in some forums that seti@home or something else is more important and realistic than ligandfit (the name of this project against the cancer) and I cannot tolerate this!
Seti@home is realistic? Come on... aliens or similar can stay to their home for me.

As I said before, no problem with anyone. I just want to point out my opinion!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Noble concept.. however I have a rather cynical outlook.. they are wantung to use our PC's.... for free.... (in other words we absorb the cost of our electricity and hardware time)

Are they planning on sharing the 100 Trillion Dollars that a cure for cancer will generate for the research facility and associated drug companies that develop them?

When they pay me 1 penny per CPU cycle is when I will allow any of the "co-operative" projects to use my resources...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
he7lius
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Noble concept.. however I have a rather cynical outlook.. they are wantung to use our PC's.... for free.... (in other words we absorb the cost of our electricity and hardware time)

Are they planning on sharing the 100 Trillion Dollars that a cure for cancer will generate for the research facility and associated drug companies that develop them?

When they pay me 1 penny per CPU cycle is when I will allow any of the "co-operative" projects to use my resources...
Will all respect,
imagin you could be one of the people that may benefit from a possible cure.
I think if that happened you wouldn't care so much for your unused CPU cycles, would you??
It's like charity work.
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
chaos
Regular User

how u feel tho if it was you, or your wife or mother etc who benefited from any cure.

sorry but i think your attitude is wrong in this instance.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
jon_s
Regular User

Interesting idea. I will give it a go.

Anyone fancy making a team??

EDIT:

look for Jabbas World in the join teams bit
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
midax
Regular User

mmmm.... do you know the mean of the word "volunteer"?!?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
oh crap. i have a MAC and it says the system doesn't support a MAC yet. So it's a no go for me
Well, that just shat on your parade! lol Unlucky.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

i read up on this more last night and will be participating in it.

while you are entitled to your opinion, let me just remind you that thousands of people contribute to the well being of others each and everyday in places all around the world. I know fellow physicians that have spent years in Africa working for free helping people with their medical problems.

There are cancer researchers who make petty change and have made nearly no income for years just so they could work on their project. I will be spending next year making less money than if i worked at McDonalds but i'm working on it because i would like to devote a year to use my creativity towards working on tumours in a lab setting.

and you are telling me you want them to pay you for the 1 cent of electricity it will take? i find that absurd. If YOU don't want to participate in this, then you have every right to say "sorry, i'm not really down for this", but your reasons sound a bit selfish. If you contribute to other charities daily/weekly/yearly then i apologize...but if this is your attitude towards all charity, then you should think about the meaning of "charity" a bit more.

As for wanting to use our "electricity for free" i don't believe that's the case. The bottom line is to try and use AS MUCH resource as possible. What cancer lab has access to a million computers? who is gonna buy them that? are you?

Drug companies will make billions no matter what. You boycotting charity is not gonna prevent them from doing so.

cheers and no offense is intended
everso
None offence taken - and drug companies making trillions from free the results of free research has NOTHING to do with the humanity involved... at some mundane "junior research level" (most of your levels of niave contribution) I am sure the cause is noble -- at senior levels the motivation is pure profit... perdiod

If the pursuit of a hair growth formula could have more upside potential - that is what their research agendas would be...

That is a fact.

Whether my contribution of 2 CPU cycles leads to the cure for cancer is immaterial - If I wanted to use that cure, it would still bancrupt me and take every penny I had to follow the treatment plan and purchase access to "this cure" - and the drug companies involved would not "reduce" the price in a humane attampt to get me access to the "cure" - so please don't try to lecture me on the morality from your soap boxes.

While I see the "noble community value" of all your contributions, you guys really need to cast a more realistic light on the whole schebang - in other words you need to be a little less niave in your outlook.

Volunteer work to help out in a disaster or for community building service etc it one thing - but volunteering freely to "help others" that is simply a disguised attempt to reduce cost to pursue an end for ultimate commercial gain - is wrong on principle.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #11
Zonda11
Regular User

I will be running it on as many computers as I can find! I cannot figure out how to make a team.. so if someone could help me that would be great. This cause has effected my life many times, so it is very important to me.

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
jon_s
Regular User

Zonda, I made a JW team...just put Jabbas World into the search for team and then join.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

None offence taken - and drug companies making trillions from free the results of free research has NOTHING to do with the humanity involved... at some mundane "junior research level" (most of your levels of niave contribution) I am sure the cause is noble -- at senior levels the motivation is pure profit... perdiod

If the pursuit of a hair growth formula could have more upside potential - that is what their research agendas would be...

That is a fact.

Whether my contribution of 2 CPU cycles leads to the cure for cancer is immaterial - If I wanted to use that cure, it would still bancrupt me and take every penny I had to follow the treatment plan and purchase access to "this cure" - and the drug companies involved would not "reduce" the price in a humane attampt to get me access to the "cure" - so please don't try to lecture me on the morality from your soap boxes.

While I see the "noble community value" of all your contributions, you guys really need to cast a more realistic light on the whole schebang - in other words you need to be a little less niave in your outlook.

Volunteer work to help out in a disaster or for community building service etc it one thing - but volunteering freely to "help others" that is simply a disguised attempt to reduce cost to pursue an end for ultimate commercial gain - is wrong on principle.

i think you are worrying FAR too much about the drug companies, when in reality, this project is not even done by drug companies. This is a scientific project.

Speaking from a medical professional point of view, your argument doesn't stand at all. If this were true, then no one would be treated at the hospital, because we would want to prevent the drug companies from getting rich.

As i said before, it's an open fact that drug companies make money, but that is not about to halt the SCIENCE of it all. They are two entirely separate things.

So what should we do with Hepatitis patients and/or HIV patients...just not treat them because we don't wanna the drug companies rich? i don't think so...
You seem to have hijacked "the cure" thread..

Treating/selling the cures after the fact is not at stake - "free research" is...

Good luck to all.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

How naive... science IS business... *BIG* business... the BIGGEST...
Old 05-12-2004, 03:21 AM   #15
chaos
Regular User

surely its more important to find a cure than worrying about who will profit from it.

what wud u rather do, live longer or die early but slightly richer