Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
ingko
Regular User

Default Power Supply help :-/

Bought a Raidmax 868 w/a PS from newegg when it was on sale. Got it yesterday and was curious about the power supply since my buddy bought a PS from a mom 'n' pop store that drew sparks and blew out his entire system when he plugged it in. So I took it out of the box and plugged in the power supply to the wall socket. My newbieness to pc building makes me believe that it would at least turn the PS units fan on.

My friend told me that it probably won't turn on until I connect the motherboard to it. He thinks that the motherboard will 'tell' it to turn on.

So my question is: Is the power supply fan supposed to turn on when you plug it in?
ingko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
XTwinTurboVR4X
Regular User

your friend is correct, the motherboard does tell it to turn on by creating a circuit

if you jump the green wire to one of the black wires in the atx plug (the one that connects to the mobo) and then just power it on at the wall it fools it into thinking its connected to mobo and powered on, then you can test if it works at all

Performance Numbers: 465awhp/482ft-lbs @ 24psi or ~550 flywheel horses.
Performance Modifications: AAM Air Intakes, AAM Fuel Rails, AEM EMS, ATR Downpipe, ATR Test Pipe, Blitz SBC-id, Blitz Power Meter, Blitz Turbo Timer, Borla Catback Exhaust, Brembo Rotors, Chrome Y-Pipe, Eibach Ground Control Coil 2.0" Drop, Fidanza Fly Wheel, Goodrich Steel Braided Brake Lines, Cusco Rear Strut Bar, Greddy boost/EGT/Fuel-Air gauges, Gutted Precats, HKS Intercoolers, HKS Intercooler Hard Pipes, HKS Hi-Flow Fuel Pump, HKS DLi Ignition, HKS Sequential BOV, Accel Wires, NGK Spark Plugs (0.033"), RPS Stage-3 Sprung 6-disks Clutch, SMC alchohol kit, T.E.C Front Strut Bar, Dynamic Racing 650R Turbochargers, 720cc injectors, Spec-800 Race Engine built by AAM with JE forged pistons/Crower forged rods.

Non-Performance Mods: 94VR4 to 98VR4 conversion, HID headlights, Konig Villains 18x9, Kumho 265X18X35, Real Leather Shift Knob Cover, Synthetic fluids. Polished by Dave Best: Manifold, HKS intercooler pipes, exhaust covers, 3000GT VR4 spark plug cover.

Powder Coated Red by Dave Best: Valve Covers
XTwinTurboVR4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
ingko
Regular User

Beeyootiful. Thanks for the info! I thought I would have to rma that sucker.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
stracing
Regular User

it alwasy good to give it a test. i felt lazy once and didn't do the test when i built my old computer, my power supply fried and had it replaced. luckily nothing happened to my other parts tho
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

Its hard for a PS to burn your MOBO. I have had 3 PS burn due to dust but they never ruined anything else.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

i had purchassed a psu from a traveling computer sales show when i first built my pc... the box told me it was 450watts... oh how they lied. make sure your unit has how many watts written on it. after running a 500 watt unit, i think the previous wasnt more then 350...
Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Here, all 4 pc's run Enermax or Antec, psu's of between 80 & 110€. Never had a problem since with power.
In the early days, before I checked in to psu's we had some fried hardware because of the instable voltage lines of the psu. Now, it doesn't happen anymore.
500 watt antec and a lite on dvd burner for 200 even USD
and that could make a lot of sence, im not terribly familiar with power supplys 'how they work' plug it in, converts votage... voila! its magic
Old 08-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
crazidude
Regular User

I would've thought enermax would be one of the best. But Antec ones are good and pretty cheap.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
ingko
Regular User

Well, its working nice and fine now. Thanks to all who've clarified the mystery. Its my first pc build, so I was very concerned about blowing all these parts on one component. Took it to the pcpitstop website and did a full test. The score was 1645. I know that jabbas computer has some insane specs on it...I wonder what his would score. Probably twice as mine since I aimed this just for casual gaming and editing home videos on dvd.

Here's wut i'm running:
athlon64 3000+
2x512 mushkin ddr400
radeon 9600 w/256mb
160gb samsung hd
12x DL dvd from optorite

I'm so happy to have a fast pc again. no more cyrixII 250mhz!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by ingko
Well, its working nice and fine now. Thanks to all who've clarified the mystery. Its my first pc build, so I was very concerned about blowing all these parts on one component. Took it to the pcpitstop website and did a full test. The score was 1645. I know that jabbas computer has some insane specs on it...I wonder what his would score. Probably twice as mine since I aimed this just for casual gaming and editing home videos on dvd.

Here's wut i'm running:
athlon64 3000+
2x512 mushkin ddr400
radeon 9600 w/256mb
160gb samsung hd
12x DL dvd from optorite

I'm so happy to have a fast pc again. no more cyrixII 250mhz!
Why don't you post this as a new topic, we can all compare our PC's then!!

Work PC: 1304

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #11
ingko
Regular User

Mmk, maybe I will.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:22 PM   #12
Jabba
Regular User

My scores are not that great...as its power on the gaming side of things is split across four screens.

I really wanted it for encoding videos...and that it does rather well...a sixty minute video taking about 20-25 mintues to encode into divx 5.1.1
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #13
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba@Home
My scores are not that great...as its power on the gaming side of things is split across four screens.

I really wanted it for encoding videos...and that it does rather well...a sixty minute video taking about 20-25 mintues to encode into divx 5.1.1
Holly hell thats fast!!
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote