Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Just_me
Regular User

Default 997 GT3 RS owner buys a Z06 (his story)

"On the morning of Sept. 15, the engine of my 914-6 grenaded on the sunset straight at Sebring- on the very first lap. I got a couple of guys to help me push the 914-6 back on the trailer and proceded to drive 115 miles home. I had seen a Z06 at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and just glanced at it. I thought it would be a good track car. I called on my cell and the car was still available. I told them I would take it. I got home, dropped of the truck and trailer and drove the Z06 back to Sebring. I was there in time for dinner and was able to drive the car on the track on Sunday. I took it easy since it was a brand new car to me and if I damaged it I'm sure my wife would kill me. I have registered to take it out again the weekend of Nov.10-11 and plan on putting in a harness bar, proper seat and harness and getting R-compound tires between now and then."

Q: Have you used your precious GT3RS on the track? Are don't you want to damage in any way because it's a limited production car?
A:No, I have only driven the RS 62 miles. I won't be driving the RS much. I don't want to damage (crash) the Z06 because my wife would probably cut me off from future track activity, not because its limited production. There are actually quite a few Z06 around here, so I really wouldn't consider it limited in the way an RS is.

Q: I hear you rank it above your GT3?
A: I don't rank it above the GT3, either the 996 or 997. I haven't driven the 997 GT3 enough to comment, but the 996 GT3 is easy to drive fast on the track right out of the box. The Z06 is going to take some getting used to, it has a lot more body roll, and the brakes are softer. I do plan on at least updating the brake pads and between that and R-compound tires the brake feel should be a lot better. The cornering limits of the 996 GT3 inspire more confidence too. I had a 2001 Z06 and that car was so loose in the back, it scared me. When I got my Viper GTS, it actually was less wild. So I am taking it easy with this Z06 for a while, I only drove it will full traction control, rather than the competetive drivnig mode.

I like his garage
2007 997 GT3 RS, 2007 Z06, 2004 996 GT3, 1999 Viper GTS, 1997 993 twin-turbo, 1994 964 turbo 3.6, 1978 930, 1972 916, 1970 914-6 GT

He recently sold his Gallardo.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Odd that he doesnt want to drive/track the RS. After all it is supposed to be too stiff for day to day driving unless you are on smooth roads. It is a track animal.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

To me the RS is a great driver but doesn't seem like a collectible. The regular GT3 is nearly as good on the track and a bit more livable on the road. Besides, it looks like Porsche will be making a lightweight version of each new edition of 911 for the hardcore driver.

I think it is better to enjoy its technological prowess than any claimed collectible abilities :roll:

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
philip
Regular User

wow!