Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
TNT
Regular User

:shocked!: :shocked!:
Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

And they said push rods are old tech with no future..

620rwhp @ 7100rpm --- thats about 700bhp... Normally aspirated, 2 valves per cylinder - 700bhp... what other street car has that kind of get-up-and-go without some serious changes being made.

Imagine what will happen once they start really working on these motors...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

judging by how many C6 Z's i've seen today... (all different colors... Blue, Yellow, Silver)... i'd really like to see an LG cam+headers+tune somewhere close... that sounds rediculoulsy amazing... hehe, 100hp/liter?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Link to the z06vette.com discussion..

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96609
Old 04-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Link to the z06vette.com discussion..

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96609
kinda "slow" discussion; but hot damn!!!!
7500 rpm NA 650RWHP.... that is awsome

the upcoming multi-lingenfelter shoot should be interesting; im really wondering exactly what is 2001 Z is toying around with.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #21
coombsie66
Regular User

How often has he gotta change his rockers, followers, and valve springs??

All i know is the 5 litre ford pushrod in the 2 falcons im helping run this weekend has nearly that grunt, rev's to 7500 and needs top end rebuild after 50 ish hours of running or less!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #22
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66

All i know is the 5 litre ford pushrod in the 2 falcons im helping run this weekend has nearly that grunt, rev's to 7500 and needs top end rebuild after 50 ish hours of running or less!
A 5 liter producing similar hp to a 7 liter @ 7500?? Something must be wrong here.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

A 5 liter producing similar hp to a 7 liter @ 7500?? Something must be wrong here.
nothing wrong there 5 liter HO engines are known for pushing such numbers... i wouldn't say its super "easy" but pick up any 5.0 mustang magazine, and you'll be blown away with how many 700, 800, 900 hp beasts are out there in street trim
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Big difference between those "pushrods" and these "pushrods".

These are not "old" engines. They are new engines with an "old" design, that turns out is not so old.

So you change springs every 20,000 miles... small price to pay for the performance and package you get.

And do not forget, ALL the uber exotics with these performance (and less) figures ALL require HUGE maintenance efforts at major milestone intervals..
Old 04-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Big difference between those "pushrods" and these "pushrods".

These are not "old" engines. They are new engines with an "old" design, that turns out is not so old.

So you change springs every 20,000 miles... small price to pay for the performance and package you get.

And do not forget, ALL the uber exotics with these performance (and less) figures ALL require HUGE maintenance efforts at major milestone intervals..
Im by no means calling the design old, its just one way to go about the problem, mearly pointing out an inherent problem with the high revving pushrod set up, there being so much more mass and hence inertia in the valvetrain, therefore requiring stiffer springs (the ones in the falcon are tripples and the best made, still dropped one on an over-rev) The OHC's are not as susceptable thats all.

The falcon engine is literally a nascar engine (ford racing) just with fuel injection rather than carbs, its an aussie V8 supercar.
Its a pushrod too, and as for the question of it producing the same power as a 7 litre, the 7 litre in question is not heavily modified, and the torque curve of that will be a lot broader than the torque curve of the 5 litre, although its still a bit quick in a straight line this thing hehe, bye bye M3 GTR, Porshe GT3 RSR's oh dispatched a DBRS9 at a test day too (not the lemans one the newly developed GT lesser model). 8)
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

^^^ Yeah I know - you are one of only 3people outside the US and Australia that undersdtand let alone appreciate the push-rod..

I was refering to the fact that all the super high performance OHC super car engines have really strict and expensive maintenance requiremnts as well, so it's almost a result of the performance level of the engines, not just the design..

NOt to mention the 20,000 mile annual valvle spring renewal on a Chevy is going to cost 1/4056th of the cost of the same job on a Lambo..
Old 04-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
coloradosilver
Regular User

Of course it would be LG leading the way for the LS7. Their headers and cam work for the new Z06 are just about the nicest aftermarket work that I've ever seen.

Definitely not cheap, but the results speak for themselves. Once I get my C6Z, this will be the way I go with it.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #28
gobs3z
Regular User

I'll be satisfied when Thunder Racing puts their cam in an LS7, best i've seen for LS1-6. Just out of curiosity, how much more does a C5R block weigh compared to a 5.7?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #29
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
I'll be satisfied when Thunder Racing puts their cam in an LS7, best i've seen for LS1-6. Just out of curiosity, how much more does a C5R block weigh compared to a 5.7?
Thats a damn good question, and it's something I should probably know off hand. However, I've fallen a bit behind on my stats lately and I'm a bit too lazy right now to look it up.

RC...wanna take this one?
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #30
TNT
Regular User

hell i would love to make 100hp/ltr. in my pushrod v6 300hp damn that would be insane. not really out of reach if the money and time was there. but isn't that the answer to every car HP question