Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
|Nuno|
Regular User

Default Bernie to change Qualifying

It is understood that Bernie Ecclestone is to meet with team bosses at Imola this weekend in an attempt to scrap the current qualifying format.

The current format - whereby the times are aggregated from two sessions held on Saturday and Sunday – came about as the result of a threatened typhoon in Japan last year, when all Saturday’s activity was cancelled and qualifying was held on the Sunday morning, before the race.

Since this system worked once, and there was widespread dismay over the format used during 2004 – whereby the two qualifying sessions were held back-to-back – it was decided to introduce the new format for 2005.

However the new format has proved wholly unpopular with drivers, team bosses, fans and, most importantly, TV broadcasters, who are unable to commit so much air-time on Sundays to F1. Consequently, the all-important grid deciding session is rarely broadcast.

Previously the FIA has told pitpass that a change to the current format was unlikely until next year since it would require the agreement of all ten teams who are already in dispute over a number of other issues. However it would appear that Ecclestone is determined to force the change through, meaning that a new format could be in place as early as mid-season.

What’s odd, is that according to Pitpass’ highly placed sources it was Ecclestone who was behind the current format in the first place.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24149
-----------

The guy is SLOW. But better late than never I guess...
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
mindgam3
Regular User

You would think they could afford to pay some decent board directors to run F1 wouldnt you? :roll:
Old 04-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
phantomfocus
Regular User

So if there going to change it, what will they change it to?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by phantomfocus
So if there going to change it, what will they change it to?
The possible answer kinda scares me... With Bernie ya never know...

But my guess is that it'll be similar to last year's format.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

When is the old fart gonna pass away, I know its cruel, but he disgust me, he is no good for the sport.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
Old 04-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

I want the 2002 qually system back.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 04-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
I want the 2002 qually system back.
Yeah, me too but that won't happen this year at least... :bah:

The new engine and tyre regulations are to blame for that.

It would be a too big of a problem for the engines... They wouldn't last the 2 weekends without some major modifications, and the teams don't want that.

And then new tyres or at least different tyre rules would be necessary, which I don't see happening...

Now F1 looks like a damn enduro series... Bring back danger damn it!!!

Ah, and there's another thing... With every change made so far they only seemed to make the Quali system even worse...
Old 04-21-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Now F1 looks like a damn enduro series... Bring back danger damn it!!!
seems quite dangerous to me having the same tire for so many miles... but i dont want that either
Old 04-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
jenkF1
Regular User

The old 12 Lap system needs to come back. The only reason the quali rules changed was TV airtime for each car.

"..its time for diesel lovers to go make the tea"
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
gucom
Regular User

The old qualifying system is the best, either for the drivers, for the teams... and for the fans. 12 laps... 4 flying laps... and a lot of excitement in the last minutes...
definately the best system...
When is the old fart gonna pass away, I know its cruel, but he disgust me, he is no good for the sport.
u dont wanna know how often i've had similar thoughts...he's 78 or sumn now isn't he? at least it's retirement time by now...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

Pitstop with out tire change is just plain dull. Fuck, they just went overboard in trying to stop Ferrari from dominating. Now that the mission has accomplished, but as a side effect, F1 is no longer F1. Qualifying is no longer benifiting the best driver with the best car, it is benifiting the driver with the best god (LOL). Drivers are no longer fighting as hard during the end of the race becoz they are trying to nurse their car back home. You don't see as much laps in practice for they try to save the engine.....all these are turning off audience.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
phantomfocus
Regular User

I personally find the engine rule tolerable. It's the tire and qualifing rules that suck. No tire change on a pitstop is just plain fucked up! For qualifying they should split the field in two groups(split up the teamates) then give them a set number of laps as well as a time limit. The entire field could be set within an hour. I think it would work.
Closed Thread