Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Default DaVinci Code: Book vs Movie

Last night I went to see the DaVinci code, and after loving the book I am dissapointed to say that the movie doesn't live up to it.

The movie throws everything at you too quickly, it races through the whole story without getting to deep into each of the scenes.For someone who has not read the book it might be a bit hard to comprehend.

I think Tom Hanks was sooo wrong for this role, when I read the book I didn't picture anyone like him at all. IMO he does a poor job as Langdon.
The movie makes you think that Langond knows everything, he doesn't even think things over, he just knows them! he figures everything way too fast.

Silas was miscasted as well I think, the book describes a big man, the actor that plays Silas is anything but big. Also Silas is supposet to be Spanish, however of his dialogues with Aringarosa almost none of them are in Spanish! and when he does speak spanish, he has an accent.

Fache, was perfectly casted, but unlike the in book, he has almost no involvement in the movie.

They invented out of the blue that Langdon was claustrophobic, because he fell into a well when he was a kid, which as far as I remember, wasn't in the book (I could be wrong here).

They completely erased the small cryptex with password SOFIA inside the big one.

Sophie meets her brother at the end of the story, but why would they leave this out of the movie? They show the guy, but they are never introduced as siblings.

I think they stayed loyal to the story, scenes and dialogues, but it could've been a better movie if they hadn't rushed through every scene.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
ARMAN
Regular User

Its impossible to make a movie with all detiles from the book in it thats probably why it looked so fast.

Havent red the book but wanna see the movie, and will see it first for sure

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

It's out already?!

Ever since I heard that Tom Hanks would be playing whats his name in the book (damn I cant believe I forgot his name already) I knew it was going to be bad.

And when I saw the first trailer I definitely knew it wasnt going to be as good as the book. It looks way to hollywood which really turns me off. It didnt seem they kept the same tone from the novel..

Either way, I'm still interested in watching the movie just because I really really really like that book. I actually started reading books because of the Da Vinci Code.. I used to never be able to finish a novel.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
TeflonTron
Regular User

They chose Hanks because he is one of the most consistantly bankable actors out there.

I haven't read the book, or seen the film, but I can tell you that it can't be a worse adaptation than Gorky Park was. *shudders*.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

I actually started reading books because of the Da Vinci Code.. I used to never be able to finish a novel.
check out "Timeline" by Michael Chriton... dont check out the movie.... that was an incredible read!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Will do! Thanks for the reading suggestion.. I've been lookin for a good book
Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Fleischmann
Regular User

I haven't seen it but if I'd like to I'd better do it fasrt. The church here in Poland is totally against it, there is a national petition for UIP to remove it from the theatres.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
gucom
Regular User

i completely agree with chaos here...if they had taken the time to tell the entire story, with all the intriguing details, it wouldve been a great film. now they dont have the time to give the history and conspiracies etc, and they dont have the time to give the characters a proper personality...and i wanted silas to be a bigger guy too
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

But this is a movie about a fictional story, so why shouldn't Ron Howard be allowed to change the story to make a decnet movie..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
gucom
Regular User

ofcourse, changes are fine with me, im not the kind of guy to condemn a movie from differing from the book...but this sort of middle road between the historical story and the adventure/action/human interaction part hasnt really worked out IMO...which doesnt mean i didnt like the movie, its just that it couldve been (alot?) better (but then again, it has to compare to the book which is loved by millions...hard task )
Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

^^ But I think such a story becomes "too real" for the original fans... like any of these epic written fictional stories - you can actually never make "the right" movie..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
davide
Regular User

Everyone I've been talking to says the movie is shit, but I have to see it anyway!
I loved the book too, and I must see it with my own eyes!

I'll guess I'll have to be dissapointed again... it's such a good book turning into a movie! How hard can it be?!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:58 AM   #13
bmwmpower
Regular User

yeah ,they waster 150 milions of dollars, it seems blockbusters this years sucks
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #14
Sydbom
Regular User

saw it last night and its not to bad, its OK, but it sure could be better
I dont think the book was the best ever or something like that, it was rather boring really, its only the facts and the story itself that made the book good.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
bmwmpower
Regular User

btw movie got IMDB rating 6,2 /10
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote