Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-28-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Who cares that a Victoria Secret model survived the Tsunami?

Not I....

She got mention - now get her off the freaking news so we can concentrate on the issue at hand... rebuilding the devastated nations.

Why the hell is her story news worthy?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
crazidude
Regular User

I'd say because famous people are more valued than the not so famous? I wouldn't know, but its rather disturbing that they show the survival of one person when many other people are suffering at this very moment who are in need of more attention that one model.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
FerrariFerrari
Regular User

It is indeed unfair but it is also human nature. There is something in all(well....most) of
us that is fascinated with famous people. Like when the space shuttle Columbia blew up
that same day there were hundreds of other people who died doing far more heroic
things than those astronauts were doing but who got all the air time. It's not fair but
it is the way it is and unfortunately it's not going to change. The fact is that the media
these days is all about sensationalism.
FerrariFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by FerrariFerrari
It is indeed unfair but it is also human nature. There is something in all(well....most) of
us that is fascinated with famous people. Like when the space shuttle Columbia blew up
that same day there were hundreds of other people who died doing far more heroic
things than those astronauts were doing but who got all the air time. It's not fair but
it is the way it is and unfortunately it's not going to change. The fact is that the media
these days is all about sensationalism.
Human nature?

Whose human nature? Yours?

There is no comparison between astronauts and a model.

None.

A model is nothing more than an entertainer - an astronaut is a frontiersman whom is helping to further the science and technology of your life.

The astronauts were not "entertainment & famous celebrities" - their brutal deaths thrust them into the limelight.

The media is "only about sensationalism" because people do not voice their distaste with the media.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

If she is going to have sex with me, I'd care. But since she isn't, I don't. It's the media's fault, they sensationalize anything they can.
However, sometimes having a celebrity name attached can be a good thing. Like Micheal J Fox and Parkinsons disease. It's given it much more exposure (therefore more donations and such), even if it's only because someone famous has it. It's still mildly annoying that he didn't care much untill he got it, but thats life. I'm guessing it's the same for most people, never cared, then they get the disease and now they do.

However, in this situation, it's not going to make anything better. Nor is it "newsworthy".
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I hate supermodels.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
FerrariFerrari
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Human nature?

Whose human nature? Yours?

There is no comparison between astronauts and a model.

None.

A model is nothing more than an entertainer - an astronaut is a frontiersman whom is helping to further the science and technology of your life.

The astronauts were not "entertainment & famous celebrities" - their brutal deaths thrust them into the limelight.

The media is "only about sensationalism" because people do not voice their distaste with the media.
I think we're on the same wave length here, I agree that there is no comparison between
a supermodel and an astronaut and I agree that what the astronauts are doing is very
heroic but all I was saying is that there were a lot of other people who died that day
doing things that may have been even more heroic. Think about this, an astronaut is
a scientist but If some scientist who developed some helpfull drug that has saved
hundreads of lives dies you probably wouldn't hear the media giving it 24/7 coverage.
FerrariFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 AM   #8
Onix
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I hate supermodels.
so do I :-|.. but I'd still hit it

and no I'm not interested in arguing whether its wrong or not that she gets all the attention when god knows how many thousands died.. here there has been much coverage of the whole disaster and I hadn't even heard her mentioned until RC started this topic
Onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:22 AM   #9
fultron
Regular User

Look at all the shows based on famed people... It is completley expected that the media would focus on them even in this time. Im not saying its right but it is expected, the football player that died in Iraq (Arizona i think) had a big story when the rest of the people killed on that day didnt even have their names mentioned.

You know over 20,000 people have died? and many more will soon because of the lack of clean water... that 40,000 lives. And yet the news doesnt care enough to put it on as the opening segment... welcome to america.
fultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:21 AM   #10
DR.GONZO
Regular User

jet li was on the missing persons list.

Then later found out he's okay He was saving his daughter and His family is ok, But is leg is messed up.
DR.GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #11
CSedl87
Regular User

Default Re: Who cares that a Victoria Secret model survived the Tsun

Not I....

She got mention - now get her off the freaking news so we can concentrate on the issue at hand... rebuilding the devastated nations.

Oh yes, and bush is doing a great job helping out. $11 billion to rebuild florida , but only $30 mil to 'help' the devistated countries.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:02 AM   #12
dingo
Regular User

I hadn't heard of her being mentioned either until this topic, but there have been a number of 'famous' people talked about that got caught up in the disaster. I think its fair enough since most of us here don't know anyone personally that was affected.....there would be no use in saying 'John Smith' was among those killed as none of us knew him, but the famous people are more well known.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:52 AM   #13
5vz-fe
Regular User

I guess famous ppl will increase the viewing rates of their channels on the same set of news.......it's all about money at the end.......pathetic..but true
Old 12-29-2004, 03:53 AM   #14
666fast
Regular User

Default Re: Who cares that a Victoria Secret model survived the Tsun

Originally Posted by CSedl87
Not I....

Oh yes, and bush is doing a great job helping out. $11 billion to rebuild florida , but only $30 mil to 'help' the devistated countries.
Please don't tell me that you think thats a good argument?

I wonder how much each respective country hit by this disaster is gonna spend repairing itself? Hmmm, I bet it's far more than all the money they recieve from every other nation.

BTW, Bush has sent more money than most other countries combined.
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 AM   #15
dons5
Regular User

oh fuck that makes me sick what just cause ur a model and the only thing u probably got goin for u is ur looks that means u have to be more famous and more important then other ppl ( im not sayin this as a general statremeant not directly towards her)