Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Steve Saleen returns as Steve M. Saleen with a new Mustang for his SMS brand

Dec 14, 2008 - Orange County, California. Steve Saleen announced today that he and his new company SMS (Steve's initials) will design, engineer, certify and manufacture an all-new family of ultra-high performance Mustangs. Steve's 25 year legacy with the Mustang will continue into the next quarter century with the launch of his 2010 Signature Series SMS 460 Mustangs.

The introduction of the SMS 460 Mustangs keeps Steve Saleen in the saddle with the model that made him famous as a manufacturer of high performance sports cars. Since leaving his former company, Saleen, Inc., Steve has entered exciting new territory with SMS. The first products to wear the new badge - the SMS 570 Challenger and SMS 570X Challenger, will begin shipping in late January.

"After 25 years of rich Mustang heritage, I am excited to begin work on the 2010 model" explains Steve. "Ford has hit the spot with the excellent new Mustang package and has provided me with an outstanding starting point. "The SMS 460 Mustangs will be truly world class performance vehicles and they will be available though the entire Ford dealer network!"

Hinting at the character of his latest creation, Steve says, "We are carrying over a host of performance features and innovations from my SMS Twenty Fifth Anniversary model, which is a stunning performer and an aesthetic beauty!"

The fully-certified and street-legal SMS 460 Mustangs are based on the exciting 2010 Mustang GT platform and will feature an SMS Supercharged 4.6L engine with power ratings from 475 to over 650 horsepower! Both models will feature extensive design refinements and performance innovations, including the patented SMS Red Butterfly Induction™ hood and a full compliment of SMS ultra-high performance components. Look for all-new and upgraded drivetrain, suspension, aerodynamics, tires, wheels and interior.

"The 2010 Mustang already has an exciting and sculptural exterior, as well as new, up-scale interior," notes Phil Frank, SMS Chief Creative Officer. "The SMS 460 Mustangs will evolve our design DNA in a more aggressive and aerodynamic direction."

Each of these limited edition vehicles will be hand signed by Steve Saleen as part of the SMS Signature Series product line, complete with unique badges and graphics. Annual production volume will be restricted, adding to the exclusivity of ownership. Contracts are issued on a first-come first-served basis and deposits are now being accepted for early production numbers scheduled for build in the second quarter of 2009.

Interested customers can contact SMS Supercars directly by calling (714) 400-2121 or by logging onto to www.smssupercars.com.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Good to see he is back
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
79TA
Regular User

note the update on the turtleneck . . . now slightly subdued by the turned up collar.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I forgot to mention that SMS stands for Steve M. Saleen. Which stands for Steve Mark Saleen. Completely obvious and useless trivia there.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Yawn.....at the price they are charging, I doubt he'll find much customers.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Each of these limited edition vehicles will be hand signed by Steve Saleen as part of the SMS Signature Series product line, complete with unique badges and graphics.
They should be renames SRS - Steve "Rice" Saleen...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
They should be renames SRS - Steve "Rice" Saleen...
I wish there wasn't truth to that.

If only he'd focus more on actual performance characteristics. He seems more interested in the look of his body kits than ever shaving weight or bettering the coefficient of drag. Saleen (the man and his old company) has done some cool stuff. Their superchargers are nice and I'd be all over racecraft suspension components if I owned an S197. However, they could do so much more if they were more focused. It'd be awesome if he got back into SCCA racing (Saleen quit around the time the S7 began its racing career.)
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Minacious
Regular User

Steve has lost focus.

Steve also wants far too much money for what he is offering. With the money being spent, much more can be achieved with these cars.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
philip
Regular User

Surprised that when his company was purchased he was allowed to continue in the car modification business. Usually you write that into the contract so this does not happen. Does his old company still modify Mustangs?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Surprised that when his company was purchased he was allowed to continue in the car modification business. Usually you write that into the contract so this does not happen. Does his old company still modify Mustangs?
They are about as kaput as Chrysler and GM are...