Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
TopGearNL
Regular User

Default 70 yr old ex-SAS soldier tackles four muggers

They got nailed badly!

http://www.smellybean.com/link.jsp?UniqNumber=2391
Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

I saw his boot coming towards my face and I thought: 'No you don't, sunshine.' I grabbed his leg and twisted it until he too was screaming out in agony.

"Then I got to my feet and kicked him in the chest
Hahah
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

Wow! Almost 50 years after his training, he's still got the moves. Nice work. The muggers didn't know what hit them.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Wow! Almost 50 years after his training, he's still got the moves. Nice work. The muggers didn't know what hit them.
It's prolly just reflex to him
Old 11-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
acmarttin
Regular User

Haaaaahahahaha. Nice.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

As the Brits would say: "Bloody marvelous."
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
AlienDB7
Regular User

That raises the question, will a 70 year old ex-SEAL be able to do the same thing :roll:
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
gucom
Regular User

nicely done

and about the SEAL: i dont really see why not?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

SEALs are the US Navy's equivalent of the SAS in Commonwealth armies (I think only Britain, Australia, and New Zealand have SAS troopers), so I would expect them to similarly proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
sentra_dude

Hahahahahhhahah, how'd you like to have to tell your mugging friends you got beat down by a 70 year old grandpa!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

You probably wouldn't tell them at all. They'd probably say they got beaten up by a professional boxer, whom they attempted to mug as a kind of challenge.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
RAMMIUS
Regular User

SEALs are the US Navy's equivalent of the SAS in Commonwealth armies (I think only Britain, Australia, and New Zealand have SAS troopers), so I would expect them to similarly proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
Wrong !

The direct equivalent of the SEALs in the British military are the Royal Marines SBS - Special Boat Service (ex Special Boat Squadron).

SAS`s direct equivalent in the US army is SFOD ( Special Forces Operational Detachament Delta, aka CAG - Combat Aplications Group or COG - Combat Operations Group)

The creator of Delta, col Charlie Beckwith aka Chargin` Charlie had a tour with the 22 SAS in Malaya. After that he formed Delta , and the first Delta recruits were trained at Hereford by the SAS.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
gucom
Regular User

lol you've done your homework well i see
either way, both (SEALS and SAS, as well as SFOD D and SBS) are special forces units and their members can all be expected to be more than sufficient at (unarmed) self-defense... wether a person can still apply the techniques at age 70 depends on the person himself, and probably to a certain extent the techniques (although i suppose all techniques used by special forces will be pretty intuitive and straightforward), but wether he's SAS or any other unit won't matter
Old 11-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
Wrong !

The direct equivalent of the SEALs in the British military are the Royal Marines SBS - Special Boat Service (ex Special Boat Squadron).

SAS`s direct equivalent in the US army is SFOD ( Special Forces Operational Detachament Delta, aka CAG - Combat Aplications Group or COG - Combat Operations Group)

The creator of Delta, col Charlie Beckwith aka Chargin` Charlie had a tour with the 22 SAS in Malaya. After that he formed Delta , and the first Delta recruits were trained at Hereford by the SAS.
Correct . . . I read that book by Charlie Beckwith, it was a very good read. But aren't Deltas special in counter-terrorism and hostage situations? Not necessarily open warfare? I mean they did do a good amount of combat during Vietnam though. And they are always part of the US military operations - Afghanistan and Iraq.

So, I think maybe SAS is more direct counter-part of the Army Special Forces - aka Green Berets?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
RAMMIUS
Regular User

[/quote]

Correct . . . I read that book by Charlie Beckwith, it was a very good read. But aren't Deltas special in counter-terrorism and hostage situations? Not necessarily open warfare? I mean they did do a good amount of combat during Vietnam though. And they are always part of the US military operations - Afghanistan and Iraq.

So, I think maybe SAS is more direct counter-part of the Army Special Forces - aka Green Berets?[/quote]

Not only hostage rescue and CT.

For example in the first Gulf War they did SR - special reconoissance.

It was a big issue with the Scuds fired at Israel, so Gen Schwartzkopf decided to send to boys in.
So they "divided" the Scud Box in 2 areas : Scud alley - for the area where the SAS operated, and Delta went to the Scud Boulevard near the town of Al Qaim.

AFAIK as I know they had fun : on one occasion a on foot patrol was chased by a few armoured vehicles but some Strike eagke had it`s share of fun with the iraqis, on another one they were attacked by some helo`s but again the Eagles saved the day.