Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: At age 70, elderly drivers should:
Have their driver's license taken away. 1 5.26%
Undergo DMV "behind-the-wheel testing" every two years, then every year after reaching age 80 18 94.74%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Elderly Man that Drove Through Famer's Market in SoCal

Some of you will remember this from about a year ago, when the elderly driver crashed through a farmer's market...traveling 300 yards. Again, bringing up the issue of whether elderly folk should be evaluated more carefully more often for their DMV license renewals. I think so, but the elderly are a strong lobbying force influencing the politicians not to pass such laws and requirements. Another problem is the poor public transit in the US, making an elderly person very non-independent without a car. But I think there are enough elderly accidents where their congnitive skills and driving abilities are at issue...that those that do not meet safe driving critieria, just need to have their license taken away.

An issue I don't think this article talks enough about, is the jury's impression that this guy did not seem remorseful of the accident...that would piss me off a lot. I'm almost 99.9% sure he'll get probation...this particular case is too high profile and a political hotbed for the judge to put him in jail at age 89:

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

Elderly Driver Guilty in California Market Crash
Judge Can Give Him a Maximum of 18 Years in Prison
By ROBERT JABLON, AP

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 21) - An elderly man whose car hurtled through a farmers market, killing 10 people and injuring more than 70, was convicted Friday of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence - the harshest verdict possible.

George Russell Weller, 89 and in poor health, could spend the rest of his life in prison for the 2003 crash, which set off a national debate over whether elderly people should be barred from driving or required to pass additional tests when renewing their licenses.

He faces a maximum of 18 years in prison, but the judge also could sentence him to probation. Prosecutors declined to say what penalty they would request.

Weller was not in court to hear the verdict, reached by a jury after eight days of deliberation.

His attorneys argued that he mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brake and panicked when the vehicle raced into the open-air market. But prosecutors said he was careless to the point of criminal negligence and lacked remorse.

"He looked at what he had done, essentially shrugged his shoulders and said, 'Oops,"' prosecutor Ann Ambrose told the jury.

Weller was 86 when his 1992 Buick Le Sabre traveled about 300 yards, reaching 60 mph or more as it crashed into food stalls. It finally came to a stop after hitting a ditch, with one victim's body tangled underneath and another's draped across the hood. The victims ranged in age from 7 months to 78 years.

Weller did not testify, but jurors heard a taped interview with police immediately after the crash in which he said he tried everything he could think of to stop the car.

"I tried to take the control knob and jam it into park. Everything. Anything that I thought would stop the action of the car," he said.

Prosecutors also called one witness who claimed Weller said: "You saw me coming; why didn't you get out of my way?"

Juror Yolanda Hernandez, 54, of Montebello, said after the verdict that the jury was influenced by that testimony and by Weller's statement to police, which the panel did not believe showed remorse.

She also indicated jurors didn't buy the argument that Weller couldn't figure out how to stop his car.

"He had 240 feet before he came to the barricade for the farmer's market. That's a long way, and he went 1,000 feet before he stopped," she said. "He still had plenty of time to react."

Hernandez said jurors agreed from the first day of deliberations that Weller was guilty of vehicular manslaughter but had trouble deciding whether he had committed gross negligence, a felony, or misdemeanor simple negligence.

Asked Wednesday by the panel to provide the legal definition of gross negligence, Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson wrote that it meant "more than ordinary carelessness, inattention or mistake in judgment."

Ambrose said Weller's age wasn't key to the prosecution's case.

"It has been our position from the beginning that no matter if you're 16 or 86, if you make the decision to get behind the wheel of a car, you have a duty of care," she said.

A survivor who is suing over injuries he suffered in the crash said he didn't want Weller locked up.

"There's nothing pleasing about this whole event," said Mark Miller, adding he had empathy for Weller as well as his fellow victims.

At Weller's Santa Monica home Friday, the blinds were drawn and nobody answered the door. A neighbor, Fran Peskoff, said she was stunned by the verdict, adding there was "no way" Weller could have run over people on purpose.

Since the accident, Peskoff said, Weller has become a recluse.

"He's not the warm, friendly man he used to be before the accident. He's been through an emotional upheaval," she said.

Weller was allowed to remain free on his own recognizance until sentencing; a date for that hearing was to be set late next week. Meanwhile, he is prohibited from driving.

Associated Press writer Daisy Nguyen in Santa Monica contributed to this report.

10/21/06 04:58 ET
Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Yep, I keep seeing more and more stories about these things in the newspaper and on the television. They should get an extra test.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

i think everyone should get a test every couple of year.
not to be racist but there are some REALLLY BAD asian drivers in toronto.
it is like they come to toronto just to try and hit my car while they change lanes. and when i stop and honk @ them all it get is a blank look on there face as if they didn't do anything wrong.

and old people are just as bad. so test everyone. i don't mind taking a half a day off to go down and do a test drive every 5 or so years to ensure that the roads in the city are somewhat safer.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

I say that should be tested strictly and regularly. In my state, the old folks are tested to less stringent criteria than those taking the test for the first time. I think there should be no difference. Taking away their licences is too harsh, because most old folks aren't terrible drivers, but they definitely should be given regular testing. In fact, start from around 40. Many female drivers around that age drive very recklessly.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i know a couple 70+ drivers that are still very good, but there are a shitload of 60+ that need to stay off the freeway.

To say that you just flat out can't drive anymore once you turn 70 is bullshit.

I say impose a driving test every 2 years after 70.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
acmarttin
Regular User

Driving in the U.S. is nearly all defensive now. I feel like whenever I'm going somewhere I spend 15% of the time thinking about what I'm doing and where I'm going and the other 85% is spent dodging other people and looking out for my own ass!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Mattk
Regular User

Some areas of Sydney are like that as well. Some people have no respect for road rules and regulations and are just accidents waiting to happen. If they kill themselves, I will have no sympathy for them.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
spanky
Regular User

If they kill themselves, I will have no sympathy for them.
Yeah or the fact they could kill innocent people as well!

They need testing every year!
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

60 is a bit too early. Maybe a test system where those with good driving records can be exempt till, say, 70, whilst those shitloads of speeding tickets etc must be tested earlier.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
MC12
Regular User

Well, my grandad was still driving in his late 80's. Also recentley he crashed into a parked car on a street and said it was the parked cars fault, funny
Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by MC12
Well, my grandad was still driving in his late 80's. Also recentley he crashed into a parked car on a street and said it was the parked cars fault, funny
Gets worse, my dad was driving his Brandnew Opel Manta in the 80s, got back from the football and crashed into a tree. He blamed the tree

I blame the beer
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by acmarttin
Driving in the U.S. is nearly all defensive now. I feel like whenever I'm going somewhere I spend 15% of the time thinking about what I'm doing and where I'm going and the other 85% is spent dodging other people and looking out for my own ass!
Actually that is what driving ahs always been about

You should spend more time evaluating your surroundings that "driving" anyway. You can not afford to "focus" on your driving line and destination like on a race track

In fact spend some time on a motorcycle and survive - you would have only survived because you did pay attention
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #13
FoxFour
Regular User

The state governments should institute a two year test, one that is slightly more rigorous than your typical eye-test exam. There are still quite a bit of good drivers in their 'golden' years- my mom was one of them. However, my father was in the other category. His aging state at the time made him very dangerous behind the wheel. Us kids and my mom were very concerned for not only his welfare on the road, but of the innocent people driving near him.
There was nothing that we could do to legally prevent him from driving, but if he had to take a two year exam, he would have had to succumb to the fact that perhaps he was not able to drive anymore. It's hard for an elderly person that has been independent his/her adult life to suddenly give these things up voluntarily.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
ViperASR
Regular User

I think everyone should be tested every few years. I have alot of friends around my age that SUCK at driving. They drive very aggressivley and are just scary behind the wheel.

As for the old people, my dad was hit by an elderly gentleman a year or so ago in the mini-van at a stop light. My dad was going straight and the old man was going left, he thought he had the right of way... Then right after the accident, he drove for a half a mile, turned into a parking lot, and called it in as a hit and run. It was actually pretty funny, as it didnt cause serious damage to either car, and he thought that my dad would follow him down a busy street to another parking lot, instead of the one where the accident occured comming into/out of.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

I think everyone should be tested every few years.
I don't. To get from no licence to full licence, I have to take 4 tests over a minimum of three years. Each costs shitloads. I've taken two of them so far, going for my third tomorrow, maybe. No-one will want to pay that much money, or take so much time off work/study/whatever. Furthermore, the testing centres will be clogged up with all these folks trying to get tested.