Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Finally got power back

As many of you who have been watching the news may know, Thursday night Western Washington got HAMMERED by a massive windstorm.

By the time it was all said and done, 1,000,000 residents were without power and IIRC 4 people were killed by falling trees with about a dozen injured.

There are a lot of houses with new skylights and still about 150,000 without power. Some of them are looking at Thursday or Friday before it comes back on.

Power at my house just came back about 6pm tonight, despite the fact that the elementary school across the street as had power since saturday

My neighborhood had a giant pine tree fall across some power and cable lines right around the corner from my house. Fortunately nothing fell on us. Luckily we had a generator to keep our fridge and furnace up and running, but i've been without internet since thursday.

I think its easy to forget what life was like before the intardweb was up and running the way it is now. I can't tell you how many games of solitaire i've played...with actual cards..

Anyhoo, It's still a mess in many areas, and there's a lot of firewood to be chopped in more than a few backyards, but there's another system just off our coast ready and waiting to swoop in :roll:

Merry Fucking Christmas, Washington State :roll: oh well..maybe this is punishment for trying to outright ban Gate's 959

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
Zot09
Regular User

Welcome back Zfrk, sounds like you guys are having some crazy weather up there in Washington! Stay safe dude.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

Wow, that's some punishment. Don't think I've personally experience anything that extreme. Stay safe, mate.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
novass
Regular User

Default Re: Finally got power back

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
I can't tell you how many games of solitaire i've played...with actual cards..
I didnt know that was even possible

Glad you are ok and you got your power back.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Must be quite complicated to "survive" for so many days w/o power at home! Luckily you are safe and have it back now, but those massive blackouts are damn scary!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Must be quite complicated to "survive" for so many days w/o power at home! Luckily you are safe and have it back now, but those massive blackouts are damn scary!
All i can say is i'm glad we had a gas stove. I don't know how i would have made my Ramen without it

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
ARMAN
Regular User

Wow and I was wondering where are you hiding life without phone and internet is impossibly hard I can only aree
"ok we dont have electricity we can survive this... damn internet is not working so I... will watch TV... oh TV dont work right.... then I'll go to read finally... damn it thers no light! then I make my papers... :roll: oh I cannot do that eather" You ask how do I know that? ops: 8)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Damn, should've been scary to have a blackout in a part of such a large city! :shock:
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
666fast
Regular User

Heh, I just talked to my sister. Her neighbors lost their power but my sister never did. They ran an extension cord from her house to the neighbors to keep food and stuff from spoiling.

She said the only damage around her was a few trees uprooted. One of which is the Japanese Maple in her yard, she was pissed about that.

I feel your pain though, being without electricity sucks. It happens often in the summer time here.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
Max Power

power outage are worseless...I remember when all of the east coast lost power cause of some power plant in Ohio or some shit...and I just lied there looking up at the ceiling doing nothing ... I don't know how we could've survived in the dark ages...i'd shoot myself from boredom

anyways, nice to hear u r up and running...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote