Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Oct 17 - Honda NSX in depth

New indepth, you already know about it. As I said already, I have, sadly, to create a queue for the indepth features as for the street sightings. So I can have a little bit of everything and keep posting updates every 4 or 5 days.

A couple of words about this NSX for those who missed the preview topic: that's an early model, 1991 model I think, and this mean something between 260 and 270 hp doesn't it? Anyway, as we all know, the NSX is a true supercar with all the positive stuff coming from the fact it is japanese. Basically that mean bulletproof reliability. I can't remember how many km this car has, but you can easily pass the 100'000 mark still with the first clutch afaik. Of course you'll have tires, brakes and other consumables to change, but engine, clutch and other vitals last a lot. True, inside you don't get the special feeling a "real" supercar can give you. it's simpler, and of course a bit dated too, but still, you are low on the road, the seats brace you like it should, the engine's sound coming from behind you for sure is special and the car can for sure go! We were as often on mountain roads, and the NSX didn't feel like a 15 years old car. Strong engine, loud (thanks also to aftermarket exhaust). Even louder from inside actually, good grip and brakes. Perfect! Te Vtec zone is well present and the engine really start to play its role and becomes mad! It can be scary, no doubt!
I had to move it on a parking after some pics and I was impressed by the very short travel of the clutch pedal (heavy too), and short throw gearknob! Very good feeling! The steeringwheel is small and seems pretty directly linked to the front wheels.
Definitely an underrated car around here we always say BestMotoring is biased, always praising the NSX against european sportcars... well, it's for sure a very well sorted car, even this old model, and to be honest, its lines daged VERY well and it still look ice today! Especiall in black!

Here are a couple of previews; 21 high-res pics can be found by clicking them

Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Great in depth review. Nice pictures as usual.

But having had a go in an NSX years ago, I would not call it a supercar... the same way an F355 is not a supercar, it is however a fantastic sports car... it's just too slow to be a supercar.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
gucom
Regular User

thanks some great pics in there...and ur a lucky guy as you probably know already
ur right it still looks amazing, when the lights are popped up it looks its age a bit, but as long a they're down it looks amazing and in general a very nice car also, too bad there are only a few of them in holland, and expensive to buy 2nd hand :shock: but well senna helped develop it, that also adds to the cars value 8)
Old 10-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Yes I guess I got carried away. of course I know what a supercar is, and beeing lucky enough to have experienced a couple on my skin, I know very well that the NSX is no match for them let's say "japanese supercar".. considering their now gone gentlemen agreement, you can't really do much better or faster while staying below the 280 ps limit better?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Nice review, and I'd have to agree with most of your points. It looks especially good in black, I think it hides it age even better in that colour.

Thanks for the pics, great quality as we expect.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
T-Bird
Regular User

Well I have to say that the NSX is a nice car but is NOT worth the $80,000 + price tag it carried in the US. I have had a go in a couple of them at work now and they are quick and nible cars but they are soo damn low it's scary flying by Semi's. There was one at work I got a ride in that was basically a Catalog for Comptech yes even the supercharger and some insane $10K wide-body with 295 rear tires, OH and it is driven by some hot ass 30 year old girl. I will try to get pics but I never bring my camera.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
TransAm
Regular User

This is certainly one car I want to drive but have never had the opportunity to. Thanks for the review, TT. 8)

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

Thanks for the pictures and reviews TT. I must agreed on all points.

I drove one a few years ago, and it is definitely the fastest car I have ever driven. I must agreed that this was some technology for a 15+ year old car including R&D time. My favorite feature about the car was the super slick shifter. Even to this day it is probably the best shifter I have ever driven. .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Thanks for the pictures and reviews TT. I must agreed on all points.

I drove one a few years ago, and it is definitely the fastest car I have ever driven. I must agreed that this was some technology for a 15+ year old car including R&D time. My favorite feature about the car was the super slick shifter. Even to this day it is probably the best shifter I have ever driven. .
1995 NSX Specs

0 - 60 mph [secs] 5.1
0 - 100 mph [secs] 11.6
1/4 mile [secs at mph] 13.5

Top Speed [mph] 165
Lateral acceleration [g] 0.93

Like most fantasticly well engineered Honda vehicles, in stock form it is rather bland - but once you throw the upgrade kits at it, it becomes the true monster it was meant to be
Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
yg60m
Regular User

No Supercar performances but it can keep some of them on a track Very nice one in black
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Yes, the good news is the NSX is made by Honda... and the bad news is the NSX is made by Honda...

What a curse.. being known for the best engineered vehicles.. but then being criticised for not stopping before "over engineering" to the point of clinical sterility..

Ferrari is not sterile, and of course has soul... Porsche is sterile, and somehow kept it's soul - but Honda never did figure out how to not lose the soul on the path to sterile perfection

I think Koeniggsegg has that Honda trait... no soul and too sterile...
Old 10-17-2005, 01:44 AM   #12
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Good points. Styling wise, I think it is a bit bland, but I really like it. I think a design that is from the late 80s still looks very good today. I actually like the pop-up headlights over the new glass enclosures.

Soulless in terms of the car. . . I don't know. I liked it, I think the engine sings a symphony. Gearbox matches up nicely. But you are right, it is missing that something. My E36 M3 does have more feeling than the NSX. Nevertheless I would love to own one one day.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 AM   #13
blaszek
Regular User

Very nice car. Photo too not worst

www.exoticcars.pl
blaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 AM   #14
FPVPSI
Regular User

i love the NSX.... ops:

It's been one of my all time favorite cars ever since i can remember, sure it doesn't have that Ferrari sparkle but its a great car none the less...Great review and equally impressive pictures!

Thanks TT... 8)
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 AM   #15
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
What a curse.. being known for the best engineered vehicles.. but then being criticised for not stopping before "over engineering" to the point of clinical sterility..
That's the point.. the needed spark is missing. It's a nice cars, it goes well and so on, but it doesn't really feel special like other sportcars :bah:
Couple this with the fairly high prices you need to pay in Europe to get the hold of one and it's easy to see why there are far more Porsches, Ferraris or even Lambos around :bah: