Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 08-06-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
tigerx
Regular User

Default SRT/10 vs. GT

ok so i was on this other board last week and there was a topic about a new ford 2-seaters to follow the 2005 Ford GT, so i said the ideas was great, and somehow the discussion got carried away and I start arguing wit this other dude who thinks the viper SRT - 10 was a better car then the ford GT. being a HUGE fan of the GT, i gave him some pretty good slapping wit my points: better looking, better interior, faster acceleration, higher top speed, history, midengined blah blah blah.

Then i mentioned that the viper is heavy, unbalanced becuz of that huge engine in front and the RWD at the back. and some other guy comes in and slap me wit this:

Lateral G's:
ford GT -1.0
Dodge viper SRT - 10 - 1.05

now i don't really noe how and where did he get those stats from, i have never seen the lateral G's for the GT ever before, and i still haven't found it yet. But is it possible that a MR ford GT is a worse handler then a FR viper that weight more??? i've try to prove him wrong in the braking department and so far i have not luck finding the 60 - 0 mph for the GT. I still think i'm right about the GT being a better car round the track though. plz tell me your opinion on this
Old 08-06-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
aks
Regular User

don't worry too much, you can't find the stats coz nobody is sad enough to time themselves braking from 60 in a Ford GT cos they are having so much fun driving it!! GT kicks SRT's ass anyday man!

My Car: Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Selespeed 5-Door (Black Exterior/Red Leather Interior/Sunroof/17 inch Alloys/Tinted Windows/Rear Parking Sensors)
aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
LotusGT1
Regular User

Skidpad does not define handling just as grip alone does not define skidpad. Skidpad measurements do not determine how well a car handles, rather it gives an indication as to how well the car can 'hold onto the road.' That's it. Shitty balance or manouvrability doesn't affect these figures...

So those figures definately do not prove the Viper is a better handler.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
HoboPie
Regular User

Also check if that 1.05 is a motortrend figure. That difference is not big enough to be significant, but MT has a history of getting excepetional performance often through use of high grip surfaces.

They are normal testing locations, but usually in much more ideal conditions than other magazines. A CGT doesn't normally pull a full G in a test like that and it can handle with the best of them.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
LotusGT1
Regular User

I've seen hopped up SUV's pull over 0.85 g's on the skidpad. No way it outhandles a McLaren F1 (which merely scored 0.87g on the skidpad).

Skidpad is not so valuable...
Old 08-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
tigerx
Regular User

but did any sources test the lateral G of the GT?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Vansquish
Regular User

I do believe I've read some skidpad numbers for the GT, but I can't remember where...I'll see if I can find them...as for the fact that the Viper develops more grip around a circular skidpad, it has always had exceptional grip levels at constant throttle application...it's got very stiff suspension and extremely wide rear tires...335/35 ZR19's if I'm not mistaken, and that outdoes the GT...however, put the two on a racecourse and I'd be surprised if the SRT-10 could keep up for very long...it's less powerful, less comfortable and much less aerodynamic than the GT.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
FordGTGuy

they have the skidpad in the infamous Carand Driver article here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7565

the Ford GT made a .98 skidpad you have to remeber that the Ford GT uses the same tires as the older GT-40. Goodyear racing tires.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
the Ford GT made a .98 skidpad you have to remeber that the Ford GT uses the same tires as the older GT-40. Goodyear racing tires.
dude, think about what you say sometimes...a road car would not be using 40 year old racing tires....
if you do a quick search online you'll see the GT uses Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. While they're certainly high performance, they're not even remotely the same tires as the older GT-40...
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
mustang07
Regular User

I have about 5 magazine articles on the Ford GT (also my favorite new car). Anyway in one of the Motortrend's I have (Jan 2004) they compare the the GT with the SRT-10. Well here ya go:

The SRT-10 stats are first then the GT's
0-60............3.9...........................3.6
1/4 mile......11.77 at 123.63...........11.78 at 124.31
60-0............97............................111
600Ft slalom.70.4.........................71.5
they didn't test the g's
I was a bit disappointed in the 1/4 and braking.

But i have yet another MT article on the GT (Nov 2003), yes its old but they got a better 1/4 time 11.70@122 and better braking 60-0=100Ft.
Also they did a skidpad test came out to 1.05g's that number seems to be popping up again.
mustang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #11
tigerx
Regular User

well the 1/4 is barely a different, the srt does have more torque then the GT, but look at that slalom different i guess a viper is still a viper afterall.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #12
mit5005
Regular User

I still can't understand how the Viper only needed 97 feet to stop from 60 mph. I read the article with that test in it, and they said it is one of 2 cars they have tested that can stop from 60 under 100 feet. But even if the GT can't do better in that department, it is still a lot better than the SRT-10.
mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #13
tigerx
Regular User

yes that braking test is a huge shocker for me too.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #14
FordGTGuy

you gotta remeber when you start getting this thing going its hard to stop it. V-8 supercharge
Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #15
FordGTGuy

http://www.goodyear.com/media/pr/22602ti.html

The Ford GT-40 in the 60 Lemans did use Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires.