Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Joel
Regular User

Default Sub 8' at the Ring.... on a bike

Impressive motorbike lap of the NS, sub 8 minutes for the full lap (not just BTG).

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/_com...layer_high.zip

Once again though, why the shit music?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
caneswell
Regular User

Scary!!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
veteq
Regular User

that is fast.... nice video thank you
veteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
exhausted mules
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
That's is a VERY fast laptime! Considering the street bikes are usually slower than cars...

i was under the assumption that bike's, especially the supersports, were faster around non-top speed tracks than nearly all cars.

the only part of a track that a bike would be slower in would be the high speed braking and the apex.

however, a bike can carry more speed into and out of a corner and also accelerate faster than a given car.

so the overall lap time for the bike would be lower than the car.

this is assuming that both the driver and the driver are of equal skill.

eh, just so i thought.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
caneswell
Regular User

No bikes are slower throughout the corner and probably braking too. Only place they are faster is aceleration. Ring is non stop fast cornering so is very difficult to get a bike around as fast as a car.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
That's is a VERY fast laptime! Considering the street bikes are usually slower than cars...

i was under the assumption that bike's, especially the supersports, were faster around non-top speed tracks than nearly all cars.

the only part of a track that a bike would be slower in would be the high speed braking and the apex.

however, a bike can carry more speed into and out of a corner and also accelerate faster than a given car.

so the overall lap time for the bike would be lower than the car.

this is assuming that both the driver and the driver are of equal skill.

eh, just so i thought.
4 tires has more grip than 2......thus faster thru corners, I think a few magazines and Clarkson proved this already (with the help of pros in each area)
Old 07-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
draak666
Regular User

Haven't seen it, but are you sure this video is being played at normal speed? If it's for real then it's incredibly fast. Who's the rider?
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
veteq
Regular User

Bikes on;y out perform cars when it comes to acceleration. Turning and breaking cars will out perform a bike. The additional rubber counts for the difference.
In one of the GP tracks, an F1 car was almost 30secs faster then a motorgp bike.
veteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

don't think they cary more speed into a turn, they can't brake as hard or as fast as a car
Old 07-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
graywolf624
Regular User

The only tracks bikes can keep up with the track cars on are really tight motorcycle tracks. From the obvious stand point that acceleration outweighs cornering speed the tighter you get cause your always going slow.

Otherwise bikes are not faster, though they might feel so.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
exhausted mules
Regular User

"4 tires has more grip than 2......thus faster thru corners, I think a few magazines and Clarkson proved this already (with the help of pros in each area"

having more rubber doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle will be faster. power to weight will determine that. and i can garantee you that sportbikes have more than twice a power to weight ratio than most cars.

are 18 wheelers faster around the nurg?

"As far as I've seen in the trackdays at Barcelona, street bikes (with "street" riders) than slower than street cars (with "street" drivers)... "

everybody knows that bikes are WAY more difficult to ride then cars riden at the edge.

"Bikes on;y out perform cars when it comes to acceleration. Turning and breaking cars will out perform a bike. The additional rubber counts for the difference.
In one of the GP tracks, an F1 car was almost 30secs faster then a motorgp bike"

again. more rubber does not equal faster. and try to compare the lap time differences between a formula one car with an enzo and a moto gp bike to a suzuki 1000.

the difference will be subtanstial.

"don't think they cary more speed into a turn, they can't brake as hard or as fast as a car"

maybe they can't break as hard... or scrub speed as fast.. but that doesn't determine the speed at which the bike can come into the corner.

"The only tracks bikes can keep up with the track cars on are really tight motorcycle tracks. From the obvious stand point that acceleration outweighs cornering speed the tighter you get cause your always going slow. "

how do you explain an 8 second lap time around the wide open 'ring with a relatively "slow" bmw?

here's a good comparison for you guys:

a few laguna-seca laptimes from moto-gp, ama and the american le mans.

fastest lap by an ama motorbike was 1.24.886. a suzuki-yoshimura grxr 1000.

fastest lap by a moto gp bike was a 1.22.670 by a rc211v.

fastest lap recorded at an american le mans was a 1.17.11 by an r8. <--- not a production car.

fastest lap by a production car 1.24.101 by a corvette c5r.

now if you take the restriction rules for ama and gts. you'll see that the modifications allowed in gts are much more substantial than in ama.

clearly. your average sport bike is faster around nearly 90% the tracks given it isn't a top speed track. i am 100% sure that an open class sports bike would be much faster over any given track than any stock supercar out there.

the performance numbers of a sportscar just dont compare to those of a sportsbike.

yet. i'm sure if this were discussed over a sportsbike forum... i would have never even had typed this post out.

heh.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
5vz-fe
Regular User

"4 tires has more grip than 2......thus faster thru corners, I think a few magazines and Clarkson proved this already (with the help of pros in each area"

having more rubber doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle will be faster. power to weight will determine that. and i can garantee you that sportbikes have more than twice a power to weight ratio than most cars.

are 18 wheelers faster around the nurg?
Read what ppl have posted. All ppl here already pointed out a bike will out accelerate cars. (ur power to weight that everyone knows about). The contact patch of a bike is much smaller than a car at any given time, thus generate less grip. Go to a bike forum, ask one of the member with more technical knowledge and he will tell u the same, a bike can crush a car on the straight, but no match over a corner. (as long as u be reasonable about what car vs what bike)

*EDIT* Not to mention, rider pays a very very heavy factor on a bike's performance than a car.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #13
Toronto
Regular User

who cares f1 has 4 wheels, and it is the fastest around any/most tracks
thus proving the 2 wheels fighting side of things wrong
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #14
Toronto
Regular User

how do you explain an 8 second lap time around the wide open 'ring with a relatively "slow" bmw?
um an 8sec time around the ring is a fucking fast lap 8)
but not as fast as the 7.30sec porsche
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
um an 8sec time around the ring is a fucking fast lap 8)
but not as fast as the 7.30sec porsche
hahaha...doh, why didn't I think of that, I shouldn't have border typing so much.