Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Default Drivers who deserve a Formula 1 seat

There are some movements of drivers of F1 at the end of each session...sometimes one team decides not to renew the contract of a certain driver, sometimes the risk or the decission is right, and in other cases the substitute does a worse work, and sometimes the ideal driver is not contracted for a time due to a non sponsor support

which driver do members think that he deserves or that he deserved during a certain period to get a F1 seat sometime?

Here its a list of drivers who deserves a seat currently in my opinion

- Jos Verstappen
- Marc Gene
- Ricardo Zonta

Here its a list of drivers who deserved a seat not many years

- Stephane Sarrazin
- Jan Magnussen
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
SPAD
Regular User

I think jos is a bit past his best befor date.he have his chance with a good team(benetton)and was not as good as hoped.The might have been a decent driver 10 years ago but he does not have any think left to show IMO
Old 07-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

Here its a list of drivers who deserves a seat currently in my opinion

- Jos Verstappen
- Marc Gene
- Ricardo Zonta
I would like to respectfully disagree with some of your choices. Personally I don't think Verstappen and Gene showed real promise when they raced. Of the lot, I guess Zonta is the best - he seems to run faster than Panis and DeMatta during the Friday sessions this year.

I think perhaps of the third drivers this year, Anthony Davidson deserves the most - he is consistently fast and smooth.

Anyone else I would like to have a go in F1?
- Maybe Jeff Gordon (NASCAR),
- Stefan Bellof (F1, Sportscars - Was there briefly in the 80s),
- Rick Mears (Indy cars)
- Petter Solberg (WRC)

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
dingo
Regular User

^ I agree with Davidson, he's been great so far when he drives in the practices.
I would say that Scott Dixon (IRL Champ) should get a go, partly because he has an Aussie upbringing and also hes a good driver.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

I would say that Scott Dixon (IRL Champ) should get a go, partly because he has an Aussie upbringing and also hes a good driver.
Good choice - I forgot about him. Although a young guy 23-24 he has a mature head on his shoulders. He certainly deserves a shot. If I remember, Williams were pretty impressed after his test for them.

Another driver I would have liked to see in F1 - Walter Rohrl - the man is awesome on and off the road....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
chipanggo
Regular User

Jacques Villeneuve deserves to be back in F1. Another driver who I believe deserves to be in F1 is Scott Dixon. I hope he gets a seat next year.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #7
SPAD
Regular User

I was waiting for sum 1 to say J.V. I think he is way to good to not be racing in F1.Though his attitude is wat makes him so colorfull he needs to control it cuz its been getting him kicked out of a few rides.Too bad the year he is gone B.A.R got compettative :cry:
Old 07-09-2004, 06:05 AM   #8
bobafett
Regular User

Jos the boss is well past his prime. Points? Has he got even 5 in over 10 years?

I think bringin a big name like Jeff Gordon to F1 would do WONDERS for the sport. Think of all of the american viewership that might start to follow it!

--Dan
Old 07-09-2004, 06:28 AM   #9
dingo
Regular User

I thought of some others, Bruno Junqueira and Sebastian Bourdais from the Champ Car series. Both are doing well this year and at least have some experience on road courses.
I think there is a few drivers in this series that could make it in F1, like Montoya and Da Matta (although he is crap at the moment) have in the past.
Others that I think are capable are Ryan Hunter-Reay (an American), Justin Wilson (already has been in F1) and maybe Paul Tracy although he might be a bit old.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
TopGearNL
Regular User

Jos Verstappen is my favorite driver and he always will be, why?
Jos Verstappen isn't a bad driver, he is a very very good driver.
He's also the best F1 driver to race on a wet track.
When he was with Benetton he wasn't al that good, because it was his first year and he had to jump in for somebody that couldn't race. Over the years Jos Verstappen never got a chance in a good car (Tyrrel, Arrows, Minardi).

I say put Verstappen in a better car (Jaguar, Honda, Ferrari) and then judge him, you can't judge him now.

Doesn't anybody think here that it isn't all Schumacher thats so great but its his Ferrari??? And by the way, Schumacher wasn't that much better then Jos Verstappen in 1994 with Benetton, he just got the chance (ferrari) Jos never had
TopGearNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 AM   #11
dingo
Regular User

I agree the Ferrari is obviously the best car, but Schumi is still by far the best driver IMO, just have a look at his times compared to Barrichello who shares the same car?????
Old 07-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #12
TopGearNL
Regular User

I agree on that, it isn't only the car no also his experience of course, but look, the only reason why he has experience is because Ferrari gave him that chance, if he hadn't have had that chance and would race in, lets say a Sauber, would he be just as quick, or would he be in the Formula 1 at all
TopGearNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
pitt1025
Regular User

I'd like to see Alex Wurz get a chance to drive in F1 again. In the past he's been in consideration for seats at Toyota & Jaguar, while he was 3rd driver for McLaren but nothing ever came of it. He's waited years for a seat but luck hasn't gone his way.
pitt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #14
mindgam3
Regular User

id like to see rossi in f1
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:53 AM   #15
sameerrao
Regular User

Jos Verstappen is my favorite driver and he always will be, why?
Jos Verstappen isn't a bad driver, he is a very very good driver.
He's also the best F1 driver to race on a wet track.
When he was with Benetton he wasn't al that good, because it was his first year and he had to jump in for somebody that couldn't race. Over the years Jos Verstappen never got a chance in a good car (Tyrrel, Arrows, Minardi).

I say put Verstappen in a better car (Jaguar, Honda, Ferrari) and then judge him, you can't judge him now.

Doesn't anybody think here that it isn't all Schumacher thats so great but its his Ferrari??? And by the way, Schumacher wasn't that much better then Jos Verstappen in 1994 with Benetton, he just got the chance (ferrari) Jos never had
Okay couple of points

In 1994 Michael scored 92 pts to win the championship - Jos scored 10 the same year. So they were not close by any means. Granted Jos had several DNFs - but most of them were race incidents. He qualified lower than Schumi and got into mid-pack scraps. Schumi was usually in the top 3 spots and did well despite being disqualified from 3-4 races that year...

According to you Schumacher w/o a Ferrari is an ordinary driver. You must be joking - He was, is and always will be special because:
- On his first race at Spa in a Jordan he qualified P7 far ahead of his experienced teammate Andrea de Cesaris
- He drove for many years in a car that wasn't the best in the field and proved to be a good driver and strong contender - 1991-1994, 1996-2000.
- He demonstrated at a early age all the strengths that helped him become what he is now - a 6 time WDC.

I hate all these comments that Schumacher is only good because his car is good. If people look before the current Ferrari F1 domination you will see the class of the man. He has earned his stripes.

Mark this - if everyone else's car is exactly as good as Schumachers - I would still give Schumi the best bet for the championship....