Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Science of fighting

great video!!!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47751338552772
Old 07-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

sick- badass stuff
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
ARMAN
Regular User

oh cool full video! thanx! nice find Nth

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
That big guy hitting those bricks with a sledgehammer didn't even try to break them all, just to make his brother look more spectacular when breaking them all by hand.

I liked the beginning with measuring strikes and kicks and then the end with the katana, impressive.
I disagree about 'faking it' with the sledge hammer... the reason why the man was able to break it, and the hammer wasn't is all a deal of physics... the speed of the hammer determines how much force is applied to the bricks.... while the man has muuuch more mass to force against the bricks, and has the ability to continually penetrate each consecutive brick....

30-40 mph + 10 lb sledge hammer vs. 25 mph + 220 lb. human... I know which I would choose (assuming you know this guy has had hard body training)
Old 07-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

Too much science for me, but still highly interesting. But what's with the over-excited commentary?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

30-40 mph + 10 lb sledge hammer vs. 25 mph + 220 lb. human... I know which I would choose (assuming you know this guy has had hard body training)
Not to point out the obvious, but your supposed to swing a sledge in the same way you swing your body.. as a loaded up motion. *blame it on the old track thrower in me but I can't conceive of swinging anything where your not swinging with your body.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Not to point out the obvious, but your supposed to swing a sledge in the same way you swing your body.. as a loaded up motion. *blame it on the old track thrower in me but I can't conceive of swinging anything where your not swinging with your body.
thats how you get the velocity into the sledge hammer, moving the kinetics of the body into the sledge hammer.

however, the key difference is the continued force the body is exerting via the muscles connected to the joints and bones actually providing the impact.

with a sledge hammer, you lose most of the "follow through" kinetics as you impact the bricks, as the force your applying to the hammer is harder to accellerate with greater distance from the force being applied to it...

hope that makes sense.