Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Oct 26: Lotus Elise in depth

Hehe, the prize for the best yellow car this month goes to dingo and his F50 ride! But I still had fun in this Elise, as a passenger and as I told you already, behind the wheel too! It is really a kart like everybody will tell you, damn fine, damn direct, and trust-inspiring. Kinda quick too (this one is the basic model from the Rover engines era).

And also a very nice car to take pictures of IMO!

So, the pics.

Click any preview to be taken to the full 32 high-res pics update

Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
No.1
Regular User

Nice pics again TT.... i love the Chapman logo, and the black wheels.

You make me more and more jealous with these stories of fast car rides.... but driving it too!! 8)
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
D_Type
Regular User

Superb photos as ever -The first one is framed on my wall for one week, with your nightshot of a red 575
D_Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
dingo
Regular User

Looks great with the yellow on black, and I have to agree even with the K-series Rover engine they feel pretty fast!

Lovely photos too, my favourite would have to be the second preview you posted above - thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
gucom
Regular User

aww man...elise is 1 of my favourite cars ever...VERY nice pics, of a VERY good-looking car...im jealous once again ops:
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
stmoritzer
Regular User

one of the nicest sets of pics you did so far
Thanks TT for the Elise photos, saved many of them ...

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
Speedracer38

TT amazing pictures The black rims look amazing and you know how i stand about yellow cars.....perfect Please do more in depth reviews like this!!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

LOL thanks guys BTW, to edit these pics was a nightmare because I had set the ISO way too high for a test in the morning and then forgot it like that all day long: high ISO = much grain in my camera! Luckily on bright surfaces it isn't so bad, but there was still some heavy editing involved :bah:

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
The only drawback I find - is the engine. As for the rest... it's bloody nice! black wheels, the british flag, the Collin Chapman logo... this Elise looks just so damn good!! Nice pics as usual... can't wait for the next In Depth - Murci??
Well I can assure you it is good enough to have some bloody nice moments behind the wheel

And yes, next indepth (in around 10 days) is the Murci, followed by Modena and SLK55 (just some more pics of Shin's one). Then we will see

Originally Posted by dingo
Lovely photos too, my favourite would have to be the second preview you posted above - thanks.
Thanks sweetie and actually, I think I should get used to take vertical shots every now and then because sometimes they turn out quite good and make for a nice change

Oh and let me also thank all the ppl that actually take the time to click one of the ads when they visit my website. Much appreciated :good:
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
chest3r
Regular User

Awesome car!!!!

Those black wheels and the yellow body make the perfect combination And great pics as usual!!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
Wutputt
Regular User

I was waiting for this in depth review actually Can't you tell a bit more about the driving experience as you did with the other in depths? For instance does the car gets tireing after driving it for a long time?

You did a good job editing the pics. One can't hardly notice the grain in the pics! Beautiful colour combo for an Elise by the way.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

I would gladly give more infos about how it is to drive an Elise.

Well, let's see, first of all, me and the ower have similar dimensions, so I already found the perfect position for the seat without having to fiddle with it. The seat is really comfy despite the fact it is thin and you are really close to the passenger. The steering wheel is really well placed, no too high, not too low. So small, perfect rim feeling and size. Front view is good and no major problem at the rear. Just bizarre not to have a roof. Also the things you have in a regular car to protect you a little (no idea about the name, let's say sunflaps ), are not there. I had no hat or sunglasses and definitely that's annoying at times.
The pedals aren't offset to the side, or maybe just very slightly, didn't notice anything wrong anyway. The clutch pedal has a very good feling and it is hard to stall the car I think. What is impressive for young drivers like us used to modern cars with ABS is the brake pedal. It's VERY hard to depress it. I was warned of course, and thankfully. At first, when you apply the usual pressure you would on a regular car, nothing happens LOL, like if the pedal was blocked by something. Even at parking speed you have to push it like a man Once you get the feeling though, and at speed, it has a very natural feeling, the brakes are strong, stopping power plenty enough at normal speed not to be worried about the lack of ABS. Also, very easy to heel-and-toe with those pedals too, really well placed and I was doing it right away without having to force things. Really good.
I had some problems with the gearstick though. It's has a pretty long travel IMO and not as "guided" as I was expecting. I ended up slotting in 4th instead of 2nd for instance, and got stuck between 3rd and 5th without beeing able to find the right gear, btu I am sure you can get used to it, and maybe once you really do it with motivation it will be better.
Anyway, I didn't do 1000 km in it, more like 60 I think and I really think you can easily go for some hundreads with no major problems. If course if it's damn hot it will be painfull, the AC apparently isn't really top stuff
The owner attended several trackday in the 500 km range and said there is really no problem on such distances.
For sure a car I would really LIKE to own as a second car!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Wutputt
Regular User

^^^
Thanks TT. I always like to hear/read reviews of normal people (= non press) to describe how a car drives. It just gives another view to the car beside the reviews we get from professional reviewers.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #13
gucom
Regular User

thanks for this review man i wanna drive one of those cars...
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
Anonymous

Originally Posted by TT
I would gladly give more infos about how it is to drive an Elise.

Well, let's see, first of all, me and the ower have similar dimensions, so I already found the perfect position for the seat without having to fiddle with it. The seat is really comfy despite the fact it is thin and you are really close to the passenger. The steering wheel is really well placed, no too high, not too low. So small, perfect rim feeling and size. Front view is good and no major problem at the rear. Just bizarre not to have a roof. Also the things you have in a regular car to protect you a little (no idea about the name, let's say sunflaps ), are not there. I had no hat or sunglasses and definitely that's annoying at times.
The pedals aren't offset to the side, or maybe just very slightly, didn't notice anything wrong anyway. The clutch pedal has a very good feling and it is hard to stall the car I think. What is impressive for young drivers like us used to modern cars with ABS is the brake pedal. It's VERY hard to depress it. I was warned of course, and thankfully. At first, when you apply the usual pressure you would on a regular car, nothing happens LOL, like if the pedal was blocked by something. Even at parking speed you have to push it like a man Once you get the feeling though, and at speed, it has a very natural feeling, the brakes are strong, stopping power plenty enough at normal speed not to be worried about the lack of ABS. Also, very easy to heel-and-toe with those pedals too, really well placed and I was doing it right away without having to force things. Really good.
I had some problems with the gearstick though. It's has a pretty long travel IMO and not as "guided" as I was expecting. I ended up slotting in 4th instead of 2nd for instance, and got stuck between 3rd and 5th without beeing able to find the right gear, btu I am sure you can get used to it, and maybe once you really do it with motivation it will be better.
Anyway, I didn't do 1000 km in it, more like 60 I think and I really think you can easily go for some hundreads with no major problems. If course if it's damn hot it will be painfull, the AC apparently isn't really top stuff
The owner attended several trackday in the 500 km range and said there is really no problem on such distances.
For sure a car I would really LIKE to own as a second car!
Hehe you drove a proper car then without all uneeded these extras Nice review and pics you lucky sod and yeh i remember reading sun visors were extra LOL! One of my lecturers has one i remember one day our lecture being cancelled because it decided to dump large ammounts of some fluid or other on the drive overnight. I certainly agree a perfect second car IMO! though the later toyota engined ones would be much more practical i would think than the old k series ones like his, bloody rover
Old 10-30-2005, 04:07 AM   #15
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
LOL thanks guys BTW, to edit these pics was a nightmare because I had set the ISO way too high for a test in the morning and then forgot it like that all day long: high ISO = much grain in my camera! Luckily on bright surfaces it isn't so bad, but there was still some heavy editing involved :bah:
what did you do to remove it, just use Neat Image?

Originally Posted by TT

Thanks sweetie
ops: ops:

Originally Posted by TT
....If course if it's damn hot it will be painfull, the AC apparently isn't really top stuff
At least it has A/C, the one I've been in doesn't have it - winding the windows down is the A/C.