Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
While I agree that the show will proably be rubbish since its hard to manufacturer lightening a second time, I think this statement overlooks an important point. 99percent of all cars everywhere are rubbish. The percentage doesnt change no matter what country you go too so anywhere would have to show cars worldwide.

edit: the italians have fiat, the germans have volkswagon , the brits have jag.. need i go on with the crap brands we all want to pretend dont exist.
I would not mind to own some crappy VW Paethon W12 or Jaguar XKR
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
volkoff
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas View Post
Аctually I would't mind almost any volkswagen - most of them are great cars, maybe a bit expencive, but great. Shure some of them have a rubish drive, but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.

And what Im saying have nothing to do with the fact that Im living in Germany now)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.
I dont know if I agree with that. While the golf itself has a good reputation, VW has a long reputation for rubbish long term reliability. Don't confuse initial build quality with reliability and quality. Unless the US sold VWs are different I know quite a few people that wont go within 10 feet of one. Mercedes' down fall predated Chrysler, at least if you ask my uncle a former Merc mechanic.

But I digress.. One could make this same quote
About the premier car in almost any manufacturers lineup. The W12 sold for crap and the XKR has reliability problems.. That being said.. similar to the corvette for gm, the gt for ford, the viper for dodge, etc... Youd be lieing if you didnt say youd take that one car.

But that doesnt make up for the xtypes, the rabbits, the bugs, the stypes, the neons, the camrys, the fusions, and the cavaliers of the world. They still exisit and we still ignore them which was really the point of this dicussion. No matter which company makes them, they are still crap. Thats the average car buyer, whether you want to realize that or not.

The average american car is a camry.. the average european car is what? a mondeo? Yeah big jump there...