Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Oh BTW, I've got a question about your editing process. Apparently you are doing something another guy I know does. It's about trying to lighten up darker areas without overexposing the rest. Am I wrong?
I noticed it in several pics where there is such a strong metallic feeling.. unnatural actually.

Or am I just seeing things?
yes, i decided it was too unnatural. so the final 73 pictures didnt have that edited process at all. at first i thought it worked really well... but well, it almost works great... but not quite

its the process of "highlights and shadows" the real problem with it i think is this: it leaves a prighter outline around the edges...which gives the artificial feel. if that werent there, it would be much much better. i am def. not going to go back and re-edit them... i dont have that luxury of time. in some casees, you can use just a small yield of 'highlights' with no visibly ill effects... and it all depends on the picture... hope that makes sence

with the final 73 pics, if they were what i feel is a tad too dark, i changed the gamma, exposure, brightness, and contrast...which ends up lookking 'real' still IMO. i wouldn't have done really any of the 'highlight and shaddows' process if i had remembered to bring a tripod, either of the days i went and as im sure you know... a flash just doesnt work very nicely.

so, you can tell your friend mabey my own tips to get away from the 'shaddow/highlight' thing
Old 02-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #32
TT
Regular User

Well, he things it is the way to go.. luckily he doesn't spot many rare cars LOL

The basic idea isn't bad, but IMO there is no need to make the shadows go away trying to lighten them up.. a dark spot in a picture is not "wrong".. it is just natural