Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #61
graywolf624
Regular User

256kg including what, out of things that you didn't include in the 458lbs of the LS7?
Same things.. minus the stuff the skyline needs to keep up.. read turbos/intercooler/extra valves/etc. Thats for a fully setup minus transmission ls7. You will find that Valves and DOHC have a cost in both packaging and weight. That doesnt mean to say dohc doesnt have some advantages over pushrods, but it is to say that dismissing it as outdated or can't keep up tech is naive.

And again, the stock power is limited by the agreement. No one races it with stock power, it's designed to run much higher.
And you don't think the same can be said for the ls engines? Once your playing mod for mod its the person with the pocketbooks ballgame

Skyline was meant to be modified. You'll be laughed out if you run a Skyline GT-R stock.
Hey Paul, Do you know any raced stock Vettes? Vipers? Hell Fbodies?
Im actually the only one I know with a stock vette. It hasnt and wont go within 300 miles of a race track.. The fbody though....
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #62
Evo8
Regular User

And you don't think the same can be said for the ls engines?
Yes. They are normally run stock. And lightweight oversized engines don't take tuning nearly as well as small but tough ones.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #63
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes. They are normally run stock. And lightweight oversized engines don't take tuning nearly as well as small but tough ones.
Hahahahaha.. Normally run stock.. hahahahahahaha...

No. Not even a little bit.

Turbo charged engines are easier to tune.. small doesn't have anything to do with it.. And the last time I saw a stock LS engine on the track was exactly .. never.. hell the last time I saw a stock Vette outside of my 6 month old one was exactly never. Hell at the last park meeting I was at there were at least 10 turbo charged cars pushing 600+... There were only about 40 cars. Paul will tell you.. He tried to talk me out of buying a new C6 because of the pounding Id take by everyone and their brothers 6-700 hp gto.

Theres at least 4 or 5 tuners as big or bigger then your ralliart option producing 700 ++ engines on a regular basis. But yeah.. never happens.. Callaway, Lingenfelter, Katech.. their all someones fantasy.. And the C6R.... someones drug induced coma.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #64
Evo8
Regular User

Yes. 700hp engines from a 500hp one. Is it even worth bothering? Talk about tuning.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #65
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes. 700hp engines from a 500hp one. Talk about tuning.
So now your arguing the quality of an engine based on how much hsp you can squeeze out of it over stock? Man.. Am I wasting my time trying to have an intelligent conversation?. Carry on.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #66
Evo8
Regular User

lightweight oversized engines don't take tuning nearly as well as small but tough ones.
Just a case in point.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #67
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
What exactly are you trying to say?

What does YOUR engine weigh? I can tell you my full dressed 7l V8 producing about 680bhp weighs in at approx. 195kg. The block is a stock LS7 block, the heads are LS7 heads (right down to the stock GM titanium valves), the intake is an LS7 composite plastic intake.

I am still wondering where you get your illinformed bias from?

I wonder if this isnt an old banned JWer trying to troll?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #68
Evo8
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
You're the troll magnet, you're the one to tell.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #69
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
What exactly are you trying to say?

What does YOUR engine weigh? I can tell you my full dressed 7l V8 producing about 680bhp weighs in at approx. 195kg. The block is a stock LS7 block, the heads are LS7 heads (right down to the stock GM titanium valves), the intake is an LS7 composite plastic intake.

I am still wondering where you get your illinformed bias from?

He gets the bias from his (current) Russian culture. Keeping in mind what it takes to have a private ISP in the former Soviet Union, you can see where this is going. He is not free and clear to look for the best option, unless he TRULY has a lot of money. However, he could be "visiting" the old Communist state, as that is not his registration. Former troll's would not be so confrontational and defending virtually nothing regarding the "tune to the sky" Skyline. He has done some skyline reading, this much is true... however, his understanding of motorsport history, engine building, metallurgy, engineering, density, velocity, et. etc. is that of a young man. He can use google, this much is evident.

In any case... there is "no way" a USian? (first guy I've ever seen use that one) engine could be superior to a Jspec motar, as they are way to technical for our primitive, and backwards ways LOL.

Evo8, it isn't that the "USian's" are "better" but that the facts don't support the argument you are persuing.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #70
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
You're the troll magnet, you're the one to tell.
Do you have a drivers license?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #71
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I can't be bothered to read the last two pages. Anyone care to summarize in two sentenses?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #72
5vz-fe
Regular User

^I have just finished reading the past page or 2, and to sum it up, a kid trying to argue a RB26 is lighter than a LS7 and a 1000 RB26 engine is still reliable.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #73
RC45
Regular User

Now imagine the ZR1 with Pilot Sport Cups - which is essentially the equivalent of what the GT-R ran, compared to the PS2's on the ZR1

I
Old 07-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #74
unwilling
Regular User

dude, evo8, you're doomed
unwilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #75
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
That's mind-blowingly fast!! The driver is very good, looks like a pro to me. And the top speed at Dottinger Hohe was only 179mph i recall because of the strong headwind in place. There's definitely at least a couple of seconds in that lap. They should try it once again with Magnussen i'd say. I get the feeling low 20's are possible with this car.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote