Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
racer_f50
Regular User

Default Cloak of Invisibility (proof of concept)

Thought this was really cool, myself. Right now they can only cloak objects from microwaves, but they claim the ideas can be adapted. If they do find a way to adapt their methods to visible light that would kick ass!

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15329396/?GT1=8618

WASHINGTON - Harry Potter and Captain Kirk would be proud. A team of American and British researchers has made a Cloak of Invisibility.

Well, OK, it’s not perfect. Yet.

But it’s a start, and it did a pretty good job of hiding a copper cylinder.
In this experiment the scientists used microwaves to try and detect the cylinder. Like light and radar waves, microwaves bounce off objects making them visible and creating a shadow, though it has to be detected with instruments.

If you can hide something from microwaves, you can hide it from radar — a possibility that will fascinate the military.

Cloaking differs from stealth technology, which doesn’t make an aircraft invisible but reduces the cross-section available to radar, making it hard to track. Cloaking simply passes the radar or other waves around the object as if it weren’t there, like water flowing around a smooth rock in a stream.

The new work points the way for an improved version that could hide people and objects from visible light.

Conceptually, the chance of adapting the concept to visible light is good, cloak designer David Schurig said in a telephone interview. But Schurig, a research associate in Duke University’s electrical and computer engineering department, added, “From an engineering point of view it is very challenging.”

Nonetheless, the cloaking of a cylinder from microwaves comes just five months after Schurig and colleagues published their theory that it should be possible.
Looking at a cloaked item, Smith explained: “One would see whatever is behind the cloak. That is, the cloak is, ideally, transparent. Since we do not have a perfect cloak at this point, there is some reflection and some shadow, meaning that the background would still be visible just darkened somewhat.

The ideal cloak would have nearly negligible reflection and virtually no shadowing, Smith said. “This first experiment has provided a confirmation that the mechanism of cloaking can be realized, we now just need to improve the performance of cloaking structures.”
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Mattk
Regular User

This is interesting. Sounds very promising for future wars.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i think i've read an article similar to this a little while back.

the concept of said cloak would refract light AROUND it's wearer which would and up making the background visible, with only a mirage like image should it work.

i think its going to a while off yet though

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
TopGearNL
Regular User

Mmm interesting
Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

Wasn't their a cloak released by another set of scientists a few months ago that basically projected the image from behind on the front of the object. Combine the two technologies and you might be pretty much hidden.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
spanky
Regular User

Man imagine in a few years, you will be a soldier with a nano technology self repairing armoured body suit with cloaking. That'd be an advantage and a half if ever i saw one.

Thanks for the link dude 8)
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote