Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
echtogammut
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
The rules give them special exemptions for running Cetane instead of Benzine. If those 'special' rule-delete's weren't there, it wouldn't stand a chance....
What on earth are you talking about? Cetene is a measurement of the combustion quality of diesel, not an additive or some such. Cetane is a hydrocarbon that combusts under pressure, which is why it is used as the measure of the detonation of diesel. American diesel has a low Cetene rating, somewhere around 45 whereas European diesel has a cetene rating of greater than 51. Because of this European diesel ignites hotter and burns more thoroughly. Benzine? As far as I know isn't used outside of eastern block nations and regions of China.

Last edited by echtogammut; 04-01-2008 at 12:48 AM.
echtogammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #17
styla21
Regular User

^^ I tried researching benzine, and cetane on wikipedia. One paragraph in and I'm cross eyed. I thought it was amusing that the reference on the page though was entitled: "The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide."
Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
echtogammut
Regular User

Basically benzine is used as petrol in some countries. It has nothing to do with diesel and to my knowledge is not added to bio-fuel diesel. It just annoys me when I see a little rant like that, that makes no sense but sounds like it might have fact behind it. I am currently building a bio-fuel endurance class car, so I happen to be pretty familiar with a lot of the chemicals involved.
echtogammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
styla21
Regular User

Well, despite being inflammatory toward one of the most senior members of MW in your very first post, welcome to MW. There is a wealth of knowledge (and opinion) here; I hope you start posting and get amongst it.
BTW, does bio-fuel = ethanol?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #20
Jasoos
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
BTW, does bio-fuel = ethanol?
Bio fuel means any fuel produced from organic materials. Mostly it is ethanol, but can also include methane from fermentation of poo, and plant oils used like diesel
Jasoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #21
styla21
Regular User

Thanks Jasoos. Inflection is hard to convey in type I guess.
I was referring mainly to the few posts before mine, where echtogammut stated he was forming a "Bio-fuel" racing team. I was more trying to ask what a Bio-fuel racing team was by definition.
Rather, than the definition of bio-fuel itself