Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 04-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
DeMoN
Regular User

Default Help decide which HDTV to buy

I think I lived without TV for too long now. F1 season on my roomates' ~18" tv doesnt do it for me. So now its time to get me a TV and well, I want to get one that is worth it. Besides, I want to play PS3 the way its meant to look.

I was a NOOB about HDTV and all that, but I learned a lot. Reading reviews and all that, I narrowed it down to two pioneer TV's, but I read some comments saying that they were overpriced. My two choices are:

PDP-4360HD
PDP-5060HD

So what I am asking is for you guys to suggest which HDTV I should get (not between the ones I listed, but others if you know better). These are the factors I am looking for:

-I decided to go for PLASMA since LCD is too expensive when they are big, and I want them to be thin so no rear projection for me.
-I havent decided between ~42 or ~50, but if I get a 42, I dont want to spend more than 2800$ and if I get a 50, I dont want to spend more than 3500 (if it is really worth it, I might be able to spend a couple hundred more).
-As for inputs, I wont be plugging my computer to it so no need for that. I wont plug cameras, media cards, etc. I dont care much about imputs. One HDMI I guess is enough (HDMI is to plug cable TV right? What other things have HDMI why would I need 2 HDMI inputs?)
-at least 1080i though I guess in that pricerange, all of them will have it.

Cant think of anything else, but if I do, I will edit this. Thanx in advanced for your help.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
jon_s
Regular User

HDMI carries the signal from DVD to the TV. Having two HDMI will allow you to run both Cable TV (when they bring out HDMI compatable boxes - they have yet to do so in the UK) and DVD.

Currently, one HDMI is enough (in the UK) as Cable is still sent via SCART of all things. If you are lucky, you can get components. However, if you have an eye on the future, two is the way to go. I suspect that an adaptor will be developed as and when the demand for two increases.

My Panasonic Plasma only has one which is fine currently, but if no adaptors are released, I may have issuses when NTL (my cable supplier) get their act together and release HD and HDMI.

8)
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
lorbmw69
Regular User

here in vermont the HD inputs from the box are component which is really lame. one HDMI should be fine.

1995 Saab 900 Turbo
lorbmw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
DeMoN
Regular User

Well if DVD players now come with HDMI then I think Ill get one with two HDMI cuz in Florida, they already have HDMI TV Cable.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
PATo355
Regular User

I heard LG and Samsung are the best plasma tvs out there ... dont know anymore so there you have my 2 cents

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

DeMon, I bought a plasma in Feb after doing a bit of research.

Size: I was deciding between 42" and 50" but decided to go to 42" because it fits in perfectly in my TV alcove. The 50" would be too big for that space. The differential in price is about $1100 or so for the same brand.

Picture Quality: V. Important to me - After checking out a score of stores - Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeters, Home Theatre Store, etc, I found that the Panasonic plasmas had the sharpest pictures. Truly stunning. I loved the Pioneer too but I thought it was overpriced. The Pioneer comes with a separate box where all the inputs are connected while in the Panasonic the cables are directly connected to the TV. I remember reading something some issue with the Pioneer box - either a bit of disturbance to the picture or some droning sound from it - I forget which.

What you should do is visit a variety of stores and check out the TVs on display - dont just check one type of store - say Best Buy because there could be any number of reasons why one TV shows up better than another (poor cable quality for instance). I am pretty sure you will be able to narrow it down to one or two TVs very quickly.

For me the Panasonic stood out (my model: Panasonic TH-42PX50U) and was reasonably priced - $2999.

There is a lot of info here on this site: http://www.avsforum.com

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Well if DVD players now come with HDMI then I think Ill get one with two HDMI cuz in Florida, they already have HDMI TV Cable.
Ahh, well we should combine forces lol My DVD player is HDMI but not Cable lol
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #8
DeMoN
Regular User

thats what I've been reading, panasonic and pioneer are top on image quality. Thanx for info.