Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #166
Jabba
Regular User

More fridge info :

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/show...t=25855&page=1

Water chilling: Now we are getting out of the basics, and more into the advanced usage of a watercooling system. Chilling is to make your water cooler than its surroundings. This is usually done with a phase change unit, such as a fridge, air conditioner, or dehumidifyer. DO NOT USE A MINIFRIDGE! THIS IS ALWAYS THE FIRST QUESTION EVERYONE ASKS! It will not hold up to the load. An air conditioner over 5000 BTU will usually cut it, and keep your water nice and cool. A 40 pint dehumidifier should also work.To get this to chill your water, you should gut it, and put the cooling coils from the unit in your reservoir, or, build a new reservoir. This will probably require you to build an out-of-case place for your stuff. Now: That's the easy part. Now, you need to condensation proof your motherboard. You need hose insulators, and something to insulate your waterblock. While chilling, the water may come to a lower temperature than 0 degrees Celcius. For those of you who don't know, that is frozen water. So, we need to add something with a lower freezing point, such as our good friend alcohol, or antifreeze. However, antifreeze has TERRIBLE cooling capacities, so alcohol/water or just plain windshield wiper fluid is what you should probably go for.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #167
Jabba
Regular User

Excellent thats the way to go.....but building a box will be more of a pain...but maybe the only solution....I will get all the measurements tomorrow for you.....thanks for all the ideas so far...

I am off to bed now to dream of my water chiller.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #168
PATo355
Regular User

Hahaha , Jabba became mad with this competition !!!

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #169
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

He went completely mad...LOL...

Man overclocking is a bad habit...once you get into it...you can't stop...and it is fucking time consuming...

I haven't been able to get below 3m 29s...

Hey how come I'm not on the ranks...I should be number 6!!!! :x

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #170
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Not anymore ....who's the biiiiiaaaaaach now???!!!!

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Old 11-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #171
Jabba
Regular User

Tonights update...I am quite pleased with the way things have gone tonight...I managed -17 without the fan sucking warm air through the evaporator.

My guess is it will be a lower temp when the water is in there as that will insulate it from the air completely.

I put some brown tape on the inside of the box to try and keep the silicone in place while it sets....I will put more silicone on the inside tomorrow and a shit load of gafers tape on the outside to try and help with the pressure of the water.

Looking forward to ya comments.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:04 AM   #172
PATo355
Regular User

list updated

BTW 3:21

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:06 AM   #173
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo

if you fill the area between the inner and the outer parts of the box with foam or simular insulating material it would work great IMO.......

I also see you have been working hard getting all bloody and shit, sharp those edges......... .....you can truly say you made it with blood sweat and tears........maybe not the tears but it need to be in the sentence........
Yep some good ideas there for project two indeed.

The box does have quite a bit of insulation in the walls already...it is designed to keep food cold for several hours and seems to use polyestaring (not sure if that is a UK name) and foam. It also has a snap air tight lid and wasn't cheap IMO at £19.99 so I hope its gonna be good.

I am not sure about the amount of water that would be the most effective....as a smaller amount of water would be turned over quicker over the hot CPU so therefore there is less time for it to be cooled before being sent back there again. A larger amount of water might be able to be kept cooler as it isn't circulated as much.

My recent tests of 1 Litre and 5 Litre reservoirs with normal water cooling didn't seem to make any difference...so maybe it doesn't really matter how much you use in the end.

I am trying to aim for zero temps or a little over...as below zero takes us into condensation issues that destroyed my last CPU...despite being well insulated.

Hopefully 28 degrees in and - 20 going out might kinda work...no idea if that would mean that I would end up with 8 degrees and if so that would be almost perfect.

Well I guess we will soon find out one way or another.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 AM   #174
Jabba
Regular User

Well it was the people that built my computer the first time that fucked up the insulation that killed the CPU...

I am sure we would have / will make a much better job of it this time.

MY DREAM SYSTEM :

Old 11-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #175
Jabba
Regular User

Basicly I think its a cascade system that uses multiple compressors to achieve the temp.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/show...t=45090&page=1
Old 11-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #176
Jabba
Regular User

What I want to know is...has he voided the warranty ?

Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #177
saadie
Regular User

holy shyt ^^^ .......
Old 11-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #178
RC45
Regular User

Farging awesome..

I love the "bloodied knuckles" candid shots thrown in for good measure. people never believe me when I tell em computers can hurt you.. hehe.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #179
Jabba
Regular User

You want to see what my hands look like after working with one of those crappy PC cases with all the razor sharpe pieces in them.

Anyone would think I just just murdered someone or something.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:47 AM   #180
findleybeast
Regular User

Originally Posted by ikon2003
4:44 - 1 yr + old laptop, nothing special done to it performance wise.

i have the screen image, but don't know how to post it (avid jabbas reader; can't say the same about posting.)

but here's where the really interesting stuff is....

http://www.tomshardware.com/images/t...eo_11_5ghz.zip

any guesses how fast that would do it in?
a bit late for a reply, but ikon how did you find that video? it's quite the gem for this thread. liquid nitrogen is the next logical step... right jabba?

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
Closed Thread