Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 11-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Ripping certain spots of a DVD

is anyone familiar with ripping certain chunks from a DVD? there is a scene i want to use as a sig from one of my DVDs but i don't know how to rip just those 2 seconds from it.

is DVDecryptor capable of this? or do i need another program?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
pyre2099
Regular User

not that i know how to do this, but here is what i think you would have to do, rip the whole dvd, or maybe just the chapter it is in, then convert that formate to something that a media player can read, such as .mpg or .avi, then use some video editing program and find those 2 seconds and cut them, compress them, and then you could prolly use it, i have no idea what programs you could use though
Old 11-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i'm sure there is a program out there that has all of that in one though

Old 11-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

I don't think DVD Decrypter can do it, You can rip only the chapter you want using SmartRipper then encode it and cut the part you want with AVI Splitter. I doubt that you can only rip 2 seconds.
What you could also do is cap only the images you want with Intervideo or another DVD reader (for 2 second it will do 52 images, 26 if you take 1/2) and then, if you want to animate it, use easygifanimator or something like that ...
Old 11-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
AlienDB7
Regular User

If you know how to use DVD2AVI, you can select the range to decode and encode in TMPGEnc. Won't go into detail here, there're more than enough tutorials floating around.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
jamberl
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
i'm sure there is a program out there that has all of that in one though

Not for free!! If you want to do all this stuff with shareware programs, then you are gonna have to use multiple progs.

For info on ripping DVD's, www.doom9.org is a good site.
Then if you want to manipulate what you have (eg avi or divx file) then try www.divx-digest.com
Old 11-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ok, i've got the clip i wanted ripped as avi. TMPGEnc sucks and won't encode it to mpeg, which i think is what i need for a sig, right?

i think i tried one other encoding program when i ripped the run awihle back, and that one gave me a lot of problems too.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
jamberl
Regular User

ok, i've got the clip i wanted ripped as avi. TMPGEnc sucks and won't encode it to mpeg, which i think is what i need for a sig, right?

i think i tried one other encoding program when i ripped the run awihle back, and that one gave me a lot of problems too.
Um, I dont know what type of file you need for a sig.

Whats the problem with TMPGenc? Ive used it before, it works for me. What steps are you going through when using it? What error msg are you getting?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:42 AM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

it says i need dvd playback software to encode MPEG2 and then it gives me some could not load p3____(<-something goes there).dll

Old 11-08-2004, 01:54 AM   #10
jamberl
Regular User

it says i need dvd playback software to encode MPEG2 and then it gives me some could not load p3____(<-something goes there).dll
Hmmm interesting... On my version, the only option I have is to encode the file in mpeg-1 format.
Mpeg-2 is DVD format. See if the program gives you the option to encode in mpeg-1. Make sure that you select 'System (video+audio)' in the 'stream type' box in the main part of the program. That could be your problem. If you select the wrong stream type (eg audio only) then it will change the allowable form of the output stream. That could be why you are ending up trying to rip mp2 files.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ok. i'll try again tomorrow.

btw, what is your sig?

Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 AM   #12
jamberl
Regular User

Good luck.

My sig is some of H.R. Gigers artwork from 'Aliens'. Apparently you can buy a book of the artwork- that would be some freak s**t.
I have a larger version of my sig and another aliens artwork if you are interested.

I notice yours is 'the crow'- i have that poster on my wall. Good movie...
Old 11-08-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I notice yours is 'the crow'- i have that poster on my wall. Good movie...
damn good movie. i wish they would have left it alone after he died though. didn't see any reason to create the sequels

Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #14
AlienDB7
Regular User

Needs dvd playback software to encode? It's possible that the source file is still encoded in MPEG2. TMPGEnc should be able to encode to MPEG2 from most AVIs without any problem. I've been using it for years and it works really well for me. Try to download the latest version and see if it works.

Probably it's complaining about not being to load p3package.dll. Do you have an old PC or something? Try to goto Option | Environmental Setting | CPU, and uncheck the checkboxes.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #15
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Probably it's complaining about not being to load p3package.dll. Do you have an old PC or something? Try to goto Option | Environmental Setting | CPU, and uncheck the checkboxes.
thats the message i was getting. i've got a notebook but it's only about a year and a half old. which isn't exactly an infant in computer terms but its hardly a relic either. i'll give all that a try though.