Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
philip
Regular User

Default Minneapolis Interstate bridge collapse

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_213191448.html

An Interstate bridge going over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis collapsed today during rush hour. It was packed with traffic, they are saying only 3 dead. Seems hard to belive considering the wreckage. A school bus narrowly missed being on the bridge, the children escaped though the rear door.

Imams not involved.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

I DROVE OVER THAT DAMN BRIDGE 4 TIMES TODAY!!!!!!!!! :shocked!:
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
blinkmeat
Regular User

very sad news

good engineering considering
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

Wow, that's pretty extreme. I'm sure someone's going to sue someone sometime or other.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Wow, that's pretty extreme. I'm sure someone's going to sue someone sometime or other.
some states have legislation preventing bringing suite against a municipality, or any other gov. run bureaucracy.... not sure about Minnesota.

terrible tragedy.... i sometimes wonder about the Zilwalkee Bridge... but, it seems to work well...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
saadie
Regular User

terrible tragedy indeed
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Z3uS
Regular User

I was watching CNN when they started broadcasting this live. This bridge was huge!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
Note to everyone the city of Minneapolis has a large Muslim population--Rememer Remember the Bridge in San Francisco!
You are an asshole for using this disaster or the one in SF to spew hate. Fucking people died here asshole. Learn some damn respect.

I want to give respect to those that lost their lives in this disaster and respect to those that will continue to search for survivors.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
philip
Regular User

My condolences to those who have lost someone, who know someone who is missing or who are injured. The husbands , wives and friends who suddenly went missing that night is so similar to 9/11.

The loss of live and severe injuries are much worse than was originally reported.

The school bus was on the bridge, but on a lower section, not over the water. Ten children were taken to the hospital.

Apparently the bridge was being repaved and only four of the 8 lanes were open at the time, or this tragedy could have been much worse.

I have traveled over this bridge once, but I was heading East, so I may have been on the arched section with the center pier.

The videos show the center section of the bridge coming down suddenly in one large piece. It appears the cantilevered section gave way first. I assume that severe rust in a critical section or metal fatigue at this end, is the cause of the collapse.

However the bridge was inspected twice in 2006 and 2005, I would have assumed these problems would have been identified.

There are many bridges like this through out the U. S.

I agree that this is not a case of terrorism, however, the evidence of what happened should be immediately clear from an examination of the end that failed first. It is still troubling however that this occurred in Minneapolis, but that may end up being nothing but a coincidence.

This is an interstate highway, I assume the state highway department is the responsible party.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
666fast
Regular User

Security camera caught the bridge going down:
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

It's pretty clear now that this bridge was at a state which was not safe. Whether that was noticeable to the relevant authorities/managers is not really clear, althought the rust and corrosion is pretty telling.

The latest news that I read the paper this morning was that the official death toll is 4, because that is all they have found. However, at least 30 people are missing, so the death toll will be very significant.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
It's pretty clear now that this bridge was at a state which was not safe. Whether that was noticeable to the relevant authorities/managers is not really clear, althought the rust and corrosion is pretty telling.

The latest news that I read the paper this morning was that the official death toll is 4, because that is all they have found. However, at least 30 people are missing, so the death toll will be very significant.
The number missing is down to 8 people, something like that anyway. The death toll is still at 4 IIRC.

There was construction on the freeway and bridge at the time, one or two lanes were shut down, minimizing traffic.

The best part is that the school bus full of kids all made it out with just bumps and bruises.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
Mattk
Regular User

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tel...648144019.html

That's the article I was referring to before, but here's the newest one I could find:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html

Number of missing is indeed down to 8, but another body has been recovered, so death toll is now 5.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #14
SilviaEvo
Regular User

this is really really sad news
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
philip
Regular User

They are saying the center section moved fifty feet to the side as it went down pushing down all the short span feeder sections to the main bridge that were not over the water.

They seem to be saying the death toll may not go over thirteen. Since the supporting structure was underneath the bridge the wreckage did not fall on top of the cars, limiting the number of fatalities.

My next drive over the high bridges over the Mississippi will not be as calm as before.