Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #61
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip
When a Ferrari gives up its life, it needs to be at 200 mph. Not lame like this one. At least the Malibu and Utah crashes were worthy of the car.
did you know the Enzo actually produces significant amounts of front end lift at speed?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #62
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
When a Ferrari gives up its life, it needs to be at 200 mph. Not lame like this one. At least the Malibu and Utah crashes were worthy of the car.
did you know the Enzo actually produces significant amounts of front end lift at speed?
No I didn't. The F40 is rock solid at speed. Does it have ABS?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #63
nthfinity
Regular User

No I didn't. The F40 is rock solid at speed. Does it have ABS?
the Enzo? it has various settings of braking in ASR, traction control, and ABS, from wimpy, to aggressive depening on what you set on the manatino.

Also, the Enzo has a lot of low pressure behind the car, which reduces the amount of downforce available even at speed across the rear.... some cars do it better, others worse.... others don't have that as a goal (CGT for example)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #64
tforth
Regular User

I know an enzo isn't as pointy (i.e. have as much front end grip) as a CGT, but that was excessive understeer!

BTW, the lift/down force comment above only becomes relevant at speed, right...

Lastly, I agree with philip, in that an autocross is no place for any supercar.
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #65
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth
I know an enzo isn't as pointy (i.e. have as much front end grip) as a CGT, but that was excessive understeer!

the Enzo's radiator is very far forward, and of course, that does hurt its angular momentum (ability to change direction and point its nose well.

but, as I was browsing some racing forums, they unanimously agree that Griffen was going way too fast for entry into that corner, considering the type of surface he was autocrossing on... a parking lot is very different to a race track in how the granulars interact with the tire compound....

Keep in mind, the wider the tire, the more the car will bolt with undulations in the road, the less steering feel there is... and is harder to break teh grip of the rear tires, which have a wider contact patch.

That said, the speeds he entered that turn, the second the tires lost grip, he kept turning into the turn, rather then trying to catch the understeer, and restore grip. Once the tires lost thier grip, braking effect would be greatly reduced as well.

yes, the d/f doesn't start affecting the car's balance much til higher speeds (as speed dubbles, forces of the air quadrouples)
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #66
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

again, stupid
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #67
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth

the Enzo's radiator is very far forward, and of course, that does hurt its angular momentum (ability to change direction and point its nose well.

but, as I was browsing some racing forums, they unanimously agree that Griffen was going way too fast for entry into that corner, considering the type of surface he was autocrossing on... a parking lot is very different to a race track in how the granulars interact with the tire compound....

Keep in mind, the wider the tire, the more the car will bolt with undulations in the road, the less steering feel there is... and is harder to break teh grip of the rear tires, which have a wider contact patch.

That said, the speeds he entered that turn, the second the tires lost grip, he kept turning into the turn, rather then trying to catch the understeer, and restore grip. Once the tires lost thier grip, braking effect would be greatly reduced as well.
He was also in a decreasing radius corner, which induces understeer if you dont know how to take it properly. If you look at what looked like a previous run, he barely made the corner. He was merely pushing too hard.

As soon as he entered the corner he was f***ed, there wasnt much he could have done. IDK how good the brakes are, but the thing to do would have been to let the wheel strait, then jump on the brakes, but IDK if that would have helped.

The racing surface was a race track. Its the Irwindale Speedway where they do the D1 drifting and alot of other racing events. This was certenly no parking lot. Saying that though, it did not look like there was alot of rubber on the track, nor did it look like the track was set up very well.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #68
philip
Regular User

The car looks locked up all wheels, no ABS, just sliding, other wise I felt he would have gone into the barrier at more of an angle, but your right he could have almost had the wheels at their maximum and there is no way at that speed ABS or not the front tires could have picked up any traction.

Course was not laid out well, with apparently a long straight follow by a decreasing radius 90 degree corner with a concrete barrier with what appears to be only 20 feet away. Not smart with lame driving equals national news coverage.

Car is pretty strong, looks like it moved the barrier 2 inches. The angle at the bottom of the concrete barrier and the angle of the wheel, alowed some of the energy to be disipated vertically, saving the car a little.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #69
Andrew
Regular User

few people have been starting to talk about how fake it is now and all being a publicity stunt.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #70
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ That guy must have been shitting his pants