Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
No.1
Regular User

Default XP Startup crap

Okay... my PC is taking longer and longer to idle (that's what i call it... just like a car ) after log on.

I have loads of crap that has to load in the system tray before activity quietens, and i want to stop it starting itself. It's stuff like QTime, WinCinema Manager and other things taht cannot be turned off in the preferences.

I ran MSConfig and disabled them in Startup, but every time i restart the same happens... i don't seem to be able to save the changes in the normal startup mode.

I am sure there is a "Save" button, but i can't find the damn thing.

So... how do i stop these things starting up.... a step by step guide will help me best

Cheers, thenumber1
Old 07-24-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
itsthepham

Hmm...Did you happen to check the start up folder? Usually when I run MSconfig and disable useless programs it should work. There is no "save" button just a "apply" button. lol Please tell me you do restart.

Another way you can fix this problem is by hmmm...perhaps going to each programs properties or preference and disable the start up when windows starts.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
stracing
Regular User

goto System Information in Accessories. find all your startup programs. the last column tells you where all the registry keys are. its just a directory.
then run REGEDIT from RUN. follow the the directories and delete the neccessary keys

or

you can do the second suggestion from pham. i hate that methof tho, it takes time searching etc
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:09 AM   #4
itsthepham

Originally Posted by stracing
goto System Information in Accessories. find all your startup programs. the last column tells you where all the registry keys are. its just a directory.
then run REGEDIT from RUN. follow the the directories and delete the neccessary keys

or

you can do the second suggestion from pham. i hate that methof tho, it takes time searching etc
haha hell yeah. and im lazy too.
itsthepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by itsthepham
Hmm...Did you happen to check the start up folder? Usually when I run MSconfig and disable useless programs it should work. There is no "save" button just a "apply" button. lol Please tell me you do restart.

I will ahve to try again.

Another way you can fix this problem is by hmmm...perhaps going to each programs properties or preference and disable the start up when windows starts.
I know that i could do tht, but in QT there is no option... bastard companies who want to hog my system :roll: And its the same with WinCinem Manager :roll:
Old 07-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
then look in the preferences/options of the program itself...
I understand that, but there is no option to turn off some of the tray icons that load (like the QuickTime and WinCinema manager). I think i will just have to boot the PC in selective start up so they do not load
Old 07-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
crazidude
Regular User

You can try this program. It worked for me.
http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL_EXE.zip
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote