Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default Keep the WRX or upgrade?

Decision time....

I love my WRX to death but I'm starting the reach the limits of what the engine can handle without touching internals, and thats costly. Same story goes with the 5-sp gearbox.......

So I've seriously started looking at changing into a 2005 STi or 2004 Evo 8 MR....the Evo is the front-runner, I want something different.

This isn't the basic Evo 8, this is the imported Jap spec version - 6-speed, more power/torque, lighter (aluminium roof etc) and so on.

Its advantage over the STi is it comes stock with a larger turbo and a FMIC, so its cheaper to get going quickly.

A mate of mine has one with just ECU, cams, exhaust and intake and is running high 11's at the drags, and being an Evo still goes around corners like not much else! The plan would be to mod it as soon as I buy, couldn't handle the stock one for too long.

So, what would you do in my situation:

1. Keep the WRX and start touching the engine internals....
2. Buy a 2005 STi
3. Buy a 2004 Evo 8 MR
Old 03-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

I think this is a matter of how much money you want to spend dingo. If it was up to me and I had the cash I'd go for the Evo.

I just now I wouldn't start fiddling with the engines internals.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Difficult choice between the car you've got now and the 2004 Evo 8 MR.. But I think you should stick with the car you own now, that car is better looking IMO, and you've made it soo good looking
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by Stoopie
Difficult choice between the car you've got now and the 2004 Evo 8 MR.. But I think you should stick with the car you own now, that car is better looking IMO, and you've made it soo good looking
Keep the wrx and swap the engine for a 2,5 litre cosworth engine.
http://www.cosworth.com/news_detail.php?id=89
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Thanks for the opinions so far, keep 'em coming.

Originally Posted by wackary
BTW, can you post a link to a photo of your WRX, I would love to take a look at it?
I've added Project Mu brakes since these shots, otherwise this is it:

Old 03-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
blinkmeat
Regular User

I'd buy a 911
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
coloradosilver
Regular User

Thats a really nice looking wrx you've got there. I'd keep it and start the serious mods. Looks brilliant as a daily driver and there's still a lot of potential in that engine.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
T-Bird
Regular User

Personally I would mod the piss out of your car.

But if you really wanted to get a new car get the MR. My buddy just got one and it is brilliant. I saw in a tuner mag they swapped the Turbo and did some head work and were at 480 AWHP
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

They both have their issues if they are beaten on too much and too early. The Evo's were blowing head gaskets and the Scubi's were blowing diffs.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
dingo
Regular User

T-Bird - thats exactly what is making me want one, relatively easy to get awesome numbers out of them.

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
If I were you, I'd go for something like an Elise, or a second-hand 993... and may be a daily-drive as well if you need something roomy and practical for an every-day use. The Evo sounds tempting, but I've heard some have had reliability issues... so I think the STi would be a smarter choice, especially if you're thinking on tunning it :bah:
993 is too slow (if a Carrera) and the Elise isn't exactly what I'm after at this stage. Both will be alot more expensive to look after and modify than a Jap car like the Evo MR.

Can't see an Elise being an 11sec 1/4 mile beast either...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
frozzu
Regular User

I'd get the EVO, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving from wrx to STI. For me it would feel like the same car. Feels like if you buy a new car it should feel like a new car. Evo would be something different and a good platform for tuning. And the MR looks great too.
frozzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
TopGearNL
Regular User

Very tough decision Dingo, reminds me of the problem I had myself, I had a shifter bike and really loved it, I modded it with nice things, nice paintjob etc. But I wanted something else so I bought a scooter and I did the same again, I gotta say I didn't regret it, live is too short to keep messing with the same over and over again.

If you were to go for the Evo that would be very nice indeed, but modding that Im not so sure, like Dani said they the engine doesn't seem to be as reliable as the Subaru..

Maybe its better for now to keep your scooby, save up some more and then go for a younger and faster Evo? I wouldn't be surprised if you were to keep it, I love your car!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

Not sure where the the lack of reliability of the Evo engine "rumours" started, from what I've read and heard (couple of mates have them) there haven't been many issues.

I'm more likely the damage the WRX engine if I keep pushing it then the Evo one, remember I don't need to do as many mods to the Evo to get it as fast as the WRX. On stock turbo and FMIC I can still get it into the 11's.... Also I get a stronger 6-speed in the MR...

I've started advertising my car for sale, just testing the waters - if I get offered the right price then we'll see what happens.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ Your right maybe they just are rumours, and maybe they were just problems that amateurs or wanna be ricers had..? And with you mates having Evo's and no problems at all I would go for the Evo! But hey thats just my opinion..

Hope you get a good price for your scooby!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

here I am starting my research for something mid engined... Things are on track for a summer end italian car maybe...

Honestly, I like the style of the wrx way more, but if it's performance, and mods you are after, then obviously the MR... remember the JW user who had that super boosted STi and went through 2 or so motors?