Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default A touch on the metrosexual side: 350Z

Well, this weeks test drive brought me back to the Nissan dealership. As some of you know I have been trying to get a drive in a 350z for weeks. I generally just go there and get ignored. Suprisingly this trip was the exactly the opposite. Within 5 mins of walking onto the dealer lot I had the keys to a 2007 350z. Hell, I'm not even sure the salesman took my name. He did not copy my license or get my number.

Now, first to get my biases out of the way. I have always felt the 350z was a touch on the over priced side. So unlike the RX8 where I went in having high hopes, I did not for the 350z. So what did I find?

Well first theres the styling. I like the external styling to be quite honest. It is a nice clean unique design. The interior on the other hand really irks me. As per the title it has a bit of the meterosexual faux nuvo riche about it. Fake alluminum buttons, a instrument pannel that is made to look seperate from the dash, and other such style for style sake accutriments. Now, I have to say the material quality was hands above the rx8, but I also have to say that the fakeness of the whole interior setting just left me disgusted. Like a set of fake boobs, its just a little bit disappointing when you realize your not dealing with the real thing.

The seats are decently comforatable, however these are the base cloth. I cannot comment on the leather. There appears to be decent amounts of storage in the storage bins behind the seat. This makes up for the trunk. The trunk is spacious, no doubt, but with a huge bisecting brace to carry anything of size it would have to have more curves then Jennifer Anniston. The base stereo meanwhile sounds like a band playing at the bottom of a well.

This is sounding offly similar to the rx8 review you say? Well read further, as this one has a bit of a twist. I fired up the car and was directed onto the same route as the rx8. Off we go, in this case no check engine light or gruffness appeared. In fact the engine was incredibly smooth the entire time.

The car didn't feel as raw fast as the corvette or even my ta, its factory 1/4 mile times being a great indicator, but it is decently quick. 306 bhp on tap means the car does get up and goes, even if the torque is rather lousy (just a measily 263). It wouldn't be my pick for a drag race, but the power did entertain in the twists and turns.

As did the handling. There is very little dead zone and the car does change directions well, being fairly nimble. It does so in a fairly refined manner, but still managed to feel fast. I wouldn't call it sports car like, it lacked that certain raw feel you need for a sports car. However it was enough to entertain. I took a series of sweepers as well as a nice tight s curve during my drive, and for the most part the car coped well.

The car also didn't appear to unsettle over bumps, however it was way to stiff over train tracks, nearly causing me to lose my teeth. This is the base suspension remember, I can only imagine what the nismo package feels like. That being said, it left me wondering. The handling was good, but I'm certainly not going to consider it world class. So why then such a harsh ride over things like railroad tracks? I can't answer that question.

Slamming the brakes from 40 resulted in a little bit of unsettling in the car. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Don't get me wrong, the rear wasn't tap dancing or anything, but I could feel a ever so slight jitter.

So what did I think overall? Well I think anyone who calls this car a sports car is reaching. I also still think the car is overpriced at MSRP. Fortunately they are selling well below sticker based on this dealers comments. I could see the car being a good deal for 5 or 6k less. I know your saying, you just said it wasn't a sports car! Well yes, but unlike the RX8 I can consider this a decent little grand turer. Try to hard interior and jolts over large bumps not withstanding, the car felt like a decent mix of fun with performance. You could do worse for a daily driver in the mid 20s. You could also do better for one in the low 30s. If you want one, get the base.. and bargain.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
ViperASR
Regular User

Nice review :good:

I have always liked the 350Z, and am considering buying something like that or an S2000 when I gradute. I found it interesting that you wouldnt consider it a sports car, but I havnt had the opportunity to take one for a spin.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
79TA
Regular User

another good review. Keep up the good work. So did you get to drive this car alone again? How on earth do you get test drives without the salesman going along?
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

In this case the salesman was along (had he not, not having took my name or my license, he would be extremely stupid.). In most of the reviews they haven't been. I think this is the 2nd or maybe third time a salesmen has come along. The key is to look proffessional and drive up in a nice car. That being said not a one of the three has had any issue with my thrashing their cars. They've encouraged it.

I found it interesting that you wouldnt consider it a sports car, but I havnt had the opportunity to take one for a spin.
Well the car had decent power. It didn't feel like a glacier going through its 7500 rpms. There was no down low power. Thats fine except while the power increased in never really felt all that dramatic. The road feel also just wasnt all that great. That hurt the car alot.

The interior hurt it even more though. Its hard to take a car seriously when you feel like a hair dresser driving a car with an interior designed by a 40 year old museum dweller who wears cashmere sweaters. Looking through the brochure it continues to rub me even more the wrong way. For example the door handles are made of fake alluminum and are shaped to mirror the air vents (direct from the brochure).. Ummm.. ok.. Its a car, yet I felt like sitting in the interior immediately sapped my manhood. Not good.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
pitfield
Regular User

If I were reviewing a car I might bother to mention if it was the roadster or coupe, also the instument cluster moves with the steering column so it is seperate piece.

Stop wasting people's time.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
ViperASR
Regular User

This is the base suspension remember, I can only imagine what the nismo package feels like.
If its the base suspension then its the Coupe. The Roadster has an upgraded suspension if I recall correctly.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Shinigami
Regular User

I agree with the interior being pretty poor. I drove a roadster, and it felt heavy, if a little sportive, with very nasty plastic surfaces... Nice engine note tho', and the price is pretty good.

But I'd never buy it, even with 400 hp...
Old 04-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Funny that you call the car metrosexual
If cars had personalities, the 350z would definitely be the dude wearing the pink shirt.

I like the design, but overall I don't think the car justifies it's price. Needs a bit more grunt to it, although the stock exhaust note sounds great.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

I agree 100% Gray, the 350Z is just a continual let down for a performance enthusiast.

(Pitfield, if you've read any of his reviews, then you'd know he'd never test drive a convertible/cabriolet) and quit taking the piss, its rather annoying more then anything else.

I think the 350z has perhaps one of the best side profiles on any production car now, but... somehow, every other angle leaves me thinking its less masculine, and more japanese... It's engine leaves a whole lot to be desired, and it's better handling isn't enough to offset even a base 05+ Mustang GT around a track with "only" 300hp, and 320 torques IMHO... let alone through the woods.

nice review mate, but the RX8 is much more metrosexual even
Old 04-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

I don't know about that, I do know that the VQ series engine is definitely a good engine. But they have just yet to put the entire package together.

Yeah, it kinda sucks in terms of its performance. Just doesn't live up. Maybe it is because it is too freaking heavy.

Maybe a little bit of NISMO tuning will help?

But yeah, I don't see the 350Z as Metro. I think the 3 Series or A4 is waaay more Metro than the 350z.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
graywolf624
Regular User

If I were reviewing a car I might bother to mention if it was the roadster or coupe,
As Ive mentioned before.. I don't do convertibles unless there is no other choice. Besides, most people know the 350z in the states as the base. You only add the declination when talking about the roadster here.

also the instument cluster moves with the steering column so it is seperate piece
Movement or not it looked like crap.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Were you driving the auto or the stick?

The drive i took with an 04 model 6spd was pretty good getting back on the throttle and had no problem getting up to speed on the freeway. I never felt like i was waiting for the power to come in.

I agree with you on the interior. They tried to retain the 240Z gauge set up and it just doesn't fit. I think the steering wheel has a large part to do with the reason why.

The price of the 350Z has pretty much put me off of buying one. No Nissan is worth what they are pushing this thing for.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Were you driving the auto or the stick?

The drive i took with an 04 model 6spd was pretty good getting back on the throttle and had no problem getting up to speed on the freeway. I never felt like i was waiting for the power to come in.

I agree with you on the interior. They tried to retain the 240Z gauge set up and it just doesn't fit. I think the steering wheel has a large part to do with the reason why.

The price of the 350Z has pretty much put me off of buying one. No Nissan is worth what they are pushing this thing for.
You can pick them up used for a pretty good deal.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
T-Bird
Regular User

which model where you driving?

Which suspension and Brake options? because the track edition I put through it's passes at work was pretty damn good at braking and turn in.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
graywolf624
Regular User

I never felt like i was waiting for the power to come in.
I didn't say I felt like I was waiting for the power. As mentioned above, I didn't feel like I was waiting to get through the rev band. The problem was even when it was on it just didn't feel all that earth shattering. It may be Im spoiled. Remember I have a car with almost 100 more torque and a quarter time of over a second faster. Regardless it wasn't the overal bhp that makes me label it not a sports car. It was the overal feel. It just doesnt have the feel of a sports car.. At all.

Which suspension and Brake options? because the track edition I put through it's passes at work was pretty damn good at braking and turn in.
Enthusiast model with the base suspension (Suspension being mentioned earlier).
It was fun to drive no doubt.. But did you slam the brakes from 60? It unsettles the car pretty good (the back end got squirrly, really brake updates aren't going to fix that). I didn't have the suspension upgrades which may help, but I can't see even that saving the car in that price range. Then again, that is just a wag.