Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
robruf
Regular User

Default Miami Vice

I cannot wait for this movie to come out tomorrow, anyone else going to go and see it? The early reviews that I read are all very positive about Micheal Mann's vision and latest version of the once TV series that redefined how TV was done.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

Really looking forward to it. Propably won't be better than the series but Michael Mann is a very skilled director so I have pretty high hopes. Always been a big fan of bothe Miami Vice and Michael Mann.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

I am also interested to see what they've done with one of the tv I watched in the 80's
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Can`t wait to see the movie

I`ve watched the trailer countless times

Fortunately i`ll see it next weekend
Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Fleischmann
Regular User

One of the few films I am eagerly waiting for this year. The trailer makes the film look quite dark, plus there is a graphite F430
Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
blinkmeat
Regular User

It looks good- But i've heard bad things - wasn't it delayed for overbudget and character holes?

Oh yeah and Jamie Fox is it it ... I 'm not sure if i'll wait for the DVD
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
nickthaskater

I can't wait to see it, looks pretty damn good. Supposedly it's getting good reviews as well (haven't really checked though).
Old 07-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

It's out in a few days here. It looks great, although I'm not sure the plot will be strong.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

digital film =
it is gonna looks so bad IMO
Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ yes and i hated it, it would of looked alot better on film. plain and simple.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

don't know about that, M. Mann just may be talking shit, this the fact that the Thomson Viper (cam they used on the films) is about the same size and weight as a reg. film camera. So the cranes used in the films would have to support the same weight.

The only benefit (that i can really see) is they can do alot of editing faster, and almost on the spot. but film making is an art. and time is well worth it IMO (it isn't my money on the line )
Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
robruf
Regular User

Just saw the movie and it is pretty good, there is a lot of character building in this movie, this isn't your father's Miami Vice. The basic premise of the original characters is there as is the raw emotion of Crockett and Tubbs. Not a single car chase but the F430 is on the screen a few times. The locations are great and so is the way the movie is filmed, the digital film works for this movie. The action when there is some is very intense and very realistic looking. I guess I was expecting a Bad Boys II sort of movie where the action never stops, this movie is not like that at all. It is very well calculated and crafted for the development of what is going to happen next. You do understand everything that happens and why it does, even if at first you are not sure, it is slowly and deliberately revealed to you. It leaves room for Miami Vice 2, which would be fantastic.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
T-Bird
Regular User

I saw the movie last night and I have to say I thought it was excellent my kind of movie for sure. The digital cameras really added to the feel of the movie a more dark and natural feel. The night shots at the beginning with the 430 and Bentley CGT on the highway were excellent especially the flames popping out of the Ferrari's exhaust. And the dash/gauge shots when they were hauling ass down the highway wouldnever have been possible with larger conventional cameras.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
Fleischmann
Regular User

Two videos showing the filming of Miami Vice and how the two main actors prepared for their roles:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/univer...rettescouting/

http://www.apple.com/trailers/univer...eaturettearts/
Old 08-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Fleischmann
Regular User

Finally dragged my ass to the cinema to see it and it was well worth it. The first think that struck was the brilliant camera work, especially during the "shoot'em up" seens, it gives the viewer the sense he is right in the middle of the action. I also liked the fact that most of the film takes place in the late evenings or at night this giving the film a dark atmosphere, which seperates it from the original series. Another plus side is how the director took the iconic elements from the 80's series and adapted them to the present times ie. in the original one of the main characters had a Ferrari, in 2006 it's exactly the same, only the Daytona is replaced with an F430 Spider. The same goes to the clothing etc. Thumbs up also for the plot and the choice of actors.

I was curious on how this film would turn out, the original series raised the bar very high but Mann dealt very well and I'm glad to say Miami Vice didn't dissapoint.