Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 06-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default XBox Fanatec "Fake Force feedback" wheel review

I got hold of one of those Fanatec Speedshock 3 "fake force feedback" wheels for the XBox - and had a go at the Ring with a Porker.

I used a slightly modded '87 911 Turbo to even up the odds.

The Forceshock wheel tries hard to bring Force Feedback tactile sensations to the XBox, but since the rumbles and wheel jerks are not actual event triggered, on a track like Nurburgring, they are more of a challenge and wrinkle to the experience, as the places you expect certain input from the wheel (such as approach to Flugplatz, rounding Exmuhle and approaching Angst Kurve - or Wipperman) you get the rumbles and some herks that seem counter intutive and the input you give then results in frustration or disaster.

It's like they should have increased steering resitance so you could simple fight the nuetral wheel resistance and not really bothered with the "force feedback" and then just had some rumbles to give a sentsation.

In the end, you have to learn a special set of "compensate for the ultra UN-realistic wheel" moves and responses, so you are actually mastering the nuaces of the game control, not the reality of simulated auto control.

So - that being said, once you figure out how to "play the system" you start lapping like a mofo... (8:00 so far my best with my modded 911 - more sliding/drifting display that fast lap... ) but jump back onto GT4 and you realize on the Fanatec wheel you were "playing the control" not "driving the car".

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

i agree with goodduck i dont want to buy something that is 130 dollars and i dont even know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

FWIW I am taking it back for a refund this week.

It's a good offer, but after careful reflection, not worth $150.00.

There is no justification for the price as there is still no event driven FF.

I am thinking a $40 NASCAR Logitech wheel with large rubber bungee cord to offer resistance will do just as good.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
FoxFour
Regular User

I have the MadCatz 2 wheel (about $60) but I switched back to the hand controller. They say that you have to use the wheel for several hours to get used to it.
The bad thing about this wheel is that you have no hookup for the headset :x

RC, the Logitech wheel does not have paddle shifters. You have to reach over and press the buttons to shift if you drive a manual.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote